Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scalliano

Threshold Of Pain

What I love the most about this wad is how easy it is to describe: Boring, colourful, rectangular shapes.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of coloured lightning I can let that one go considering what this wad is intending to do, but the atrocious over abundance of perfectly square and rectangular areas/shapes is unforgivable.

Okay, maybe it's not that bad but you do know that you can do non-straight angles in Doom, right? The gameplay is okayish, but do something about those layouts and that architecture!

And, yeah, I know you wanted to mimic the PSX Doom experience but using monster sounds that not everyone is familiar with is annoying. It's great when you can tell what monsters there are in a room just from their wake-up sound, but when the sounds are changed it's useless. Especially when the PSX Doom monster sounds are much less distinguishable from each other (Give me that original revenant shriek!).

Not to mention that demons running rampant are always a source of hitscan reflex alarm now. That noise - bblrruuugh.

printz said:

Not to mention that demons running rampant are always a source of hitscan reflex alarm now. That noise - bblrruuugh.

Yeah, this too. WTF!?

Still, like I said the gameplay isn't too bad, only bit boring and uninspired. Yet I'd really love to know what was the big idea behind the fight vs. those three afrits in map04. You've got very little space, plenty of hazardous lava, minimal health bonuses and if you fall in the lava you need to be ready to jump out from there (not everyone playing Doom is conditioned to use the jump feature all the time).

Ironically, in addition to the afrit catasthrope map04 also had the best fight in the wad so far (the two avs, barons and mancs by blue key).

And so the inevitable DW backlash begins, I've read about these. Turns out Enjay wasn't kidding about the "aggressive bear-pit" :P

Jodwin said:

What I love the most about this wad is how easy it is to describe: Boring, colourful, rectangular shapes.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of coloured lightning I can let that one go considering what this wad is intending to do, but the atrocious over abundance of perfectly square and rectangular areas/shapes is unforgivable.

Not a fan of D64, then? Bar the outdoor areas that was near enough all you got in D64.

printz said:

Understandable if you've never played PSX Doom, but that's Midway's fault, not mine. Besides, I play with both sets of sounds and I've never had this problem. Maybe I'm just used to distinguishing the two because of this.

Jodwin said:

Yet I'd really love to know what was the big idea behind the fight vs. those three afrits in map04. You've got very little space, plenty of hazardous lava, minimal health bonuses and if you fall in the lava you need to be ready to jump out from there (not everyone playing Doom is conditioned to use the jump feature all the time).

Not a big ZDoom player either, it would seem. Most ZDoom-specific WADs I've played over the years require at least jumping if not crouching also (not all of them, mind).

I'm not about to post a comment in my own wad section on /idgames, but I do feel the need to level with whoever said this:

Anonymous said:

This wad manages to misuse PSX/N64 resources so bad it actually made me appreciate more how good the official PSX port and Doom64 are. Gameplay, architecture, looks, atmosphere, everything misses the mark here. Randomly throwing colored lights around is seemingly enough to placate people into thinking anything is a masterpiece, which is slightly depressing. 2/5

What I find deeply depressing is the eagerness to slate something purely on the basis that it uses a traditionally unpopular feature or theme (I am aware that PSX fans are in the minority here). I can't deny the architechture is basic, but that is down to my limited mapping skill (something I've admitted from the beginning), but I resent the implication that the PSX-N64 theme was a mere gimmick. I make the kind of levels I want to play, and PSX Doom was what I grew up with, and maps that attempt to emulate its style (whether successfully or not) are few and far between.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. I was never expecting the level of positive feedback I've had so far. In fact, I was expecting this to get absolutely slated from the off given the general consensus when it comes to things like coloured lighting/custom monsters/simple geometry/non-PC stuff.

As I've said numerous times before, I'm not really interested in amazing eye-candy at this point (that's Stronghold's department) and I can work on gameplay/layout, but as for the one who commented on the over-abundance of GZDoom features, I don't see any slopes/3d floors/cutscenes anywhere. A handful of basic scripts, a few custom actors and some coloured lighting effects hardly constitutes an over-abundance in my book.

I'm aware this may seem like a newbie who's had a premature ego-massage and is arsehurting when the shit finally hits, but I assure you this isn't the case. I wasn't expecting a hugfest on my first project, but I had hoped that the inevitable negative feedback would be even a tad more constructive. Pick the wad apart, by all means, but it's the kind of needless put-downs quoted above which have seen off many, much better mappers in the past.

Nevertheless, what actual criticisms there were are taken on board for future projects. This is my first WAD, remember. I'd rather it wasn't my last.

Yea, ignore those idgets. I've been playing through TOP for the past few days and have been really enjoying it. I've never played the PSX DOOM or whatever it's based off of, but what'ev. it's doom, and it's fun. the new monsters and weapons add enjoyment for sure. are they based off PSX additions?

I'm on level 5 now and my only criticism is that it looks a lot like the previous levels. if it turns out the next few levels are also the same theme then i might work on changing things up level by level in future projects. If the levels all look a bit too similar it makes the flow rather monotone and makes exits feel a bit meaningless.

otherwise I'm having a blast. oh, and I like the 'monster wake up' sound as the normal roaming sound. it freaks me out when i hear it :)

Back to the Triton Lab!

NT

scalliano said:

And so the inevitable DW backlash begins, I've read about these. Turns out Enjay wasn't kidding about the "aggressive bear-pit" :P

Don't worry, it's only one user so far. I only commented on the Doom 64 sounding, not necessarily criticized your mod for using it. It could also be the depressing Playstation music that put Jodwin in a bad mood :P

Admittedly, I would like to see more detail (I'm past that multi-stage monster release trap so far), though if your intention was to use the console Doom level of detail, I get it. It was probably designed that way in PSX Doom. I'm saying this because all that ambient music, well-executed night effects (with simulated rod cell blue vision too) and lower pitched monsters produce expectations of high detail on the average player (probably because of trend of 2004+ shooter games), but the console games were produced earlier when they couldn't handle detail. Instead, let's just say the music, blue night, angry monsters and lack of detail produce a feeling of loneliness and pain :) Which makes me realize you did some good work here.

scalliano said:

Not a fan of D64, then? Bar the outdoor areas that was near enough all you got in D64.

I never played D64, but if it too was compromised of similarly boring and repetitive layouts and rooms, then yeah, I wouldn't have liked it. If you remember, one of the reason the id guys scrapped Tom Hall's idea for Doom as a realistical game was that the squareish layouts were boring to play in, and instead Romero jumped in and made E1.

scalliano said:

Understandable if you've never played PSX Doom, but that's Midway's fault, not mine. Besides, I play with both sets of sounds and I've never had this problem. Maybe I'm just used to distinguishing the two because of this.

In a sense it's your fault for using those sounds. Should I go rant about how PSX Doom sucks because your project uses its resources in a stupid way? No, I'm going to rant about your project. Note that for people who played PSX Doom as their first Doom game this would have made no difference, but you brought these clashing sound effects to PC Doom.

scalliano said:

Not a big ZDoom player either, it would seem. Most ZDoom-specific WADs I've played over the years require at least jumping if not crouching also (not all of them, mind).

Yeah, I'm not a big ZDoom player because most ZDoom wads follow the formula of taking very mediocre maps and filling them with new features hoping that it would be enough to redeem the map, but I digress. Jumping was not the main point here though. The point is that you took three extremely dangerous monsters and threw them in an area where the player has minimal resources and barely any space to move in. That's outright horrible design.

Like I said in the first post I can ignore the coloured lightning and sounds when giving an objective rating for the mapset, since your intention was to mimic PSX Doom's atmosphere. But what I can not ignore are the extremely basic layouts and occasional mapping blunders. Most of that high praise is, no doubt, coming from people who are unable to see past all the "bling" that is GL lightning, Bestiary monsters and new sound effects to realize that, in the end, there's nothing special about this wad. It's not bad, but extremely mediocre, and gives off the impression that you were more concerned about using those features than actual mapping.

I love how you're picking on the other points of dislike like comments on GZDoom features, but ignore the comments on the layouts. Truth is, if you look at the inside areas of your maps in the automap a lot of them look like they could have come straight out of Wolf3D. It's not about detail, it's not about sound effects (they're annoying, sure, but it's a minor annoyance), it's about your room shapes and layouts.

Jodwin said:

stuff about layout.

The earlier stuff is a bit boxy, and that carries on to some of the later maps, as well as a few cliches, but some of the stuff in the later maps, especially some of the secrets, is just really cool. Seriously, the one that suddenly goes from techbase to hell transitions so well I was shocked when suddenly everything was hellish. For a first released project that's pretty awesome. And with that in mind, give some specific feedback, so he can do a better project.

As an allusion to the console versions of Doom I think this is pretty amazing. I am having fun playing through something that feels a little different but still exudes that Doom charm. This isn't meant to represent the PC versions of Doom but the console iterations and I think it does that job well. I wish my first attempts showed half the potential of this. Keep up the good work and keep your positive enthusiasm (something lacking in some jaded souls around here!) :)

ArmouredBlood said:

The earlier stuff is a bit boxy, and that carries on to some of the later maps, as well as a few cliches, but some of the stuff in the later maps, especially some of the secrets, is just really cool. Seriously, the one that suddenly goes from techbase to hell transitions so well I was shocked when suddenly everything was hellish. For a first released project that's pretty awesome. And with that in mind, give some specific feedback, so he can do a better project.

In all fairness, yes, the maps do get better later on. They're still tad too boxy IMO, but not as bad as the first four maps which are really bad on this aspect. Heck, map07 even has a couple of good parts in it (Though wasting that arena on a cyber was a bit lame, why do you insist on putting afrits, blueberries and those winged barons in tight spaces and then "waste" your first real arena on an encounter that everyone's so familiar with that you could play it blindfolded? This is my main gripe with custom monsters, people seem to be much worse at using them than the normal monsters - either use them well or don't use them at all).

Specific feedback? Well I don't know how more specific I can get than "Don't make square rooms!" Map06 had some nice interconnectivity with the red key area, but even then most of the rooms in that map were either squares or rectangles. Or hallways. But then again, hallways are rectangular rooms.

Of course, the square isn't always a bad shape, for instance the doom sphere room in map06 was OK. The problem comes when everything in your map is just too boxy. Break those straight walls. Bend them. Draw different shapes. Think outside the box (pun intended :P).

Jodwin said:
Though wasting that arena on a cyber was a bit lame

If you wanted a Thamuz or Annihilator, be my guest. Shudder, but yeah, actually why not.

blueberries

Nightmare cacodemons?

printz said:

If you wanted a Thamuz or Annihilator, be my guest. Shudder, but yeah, actually why not.

No, like I said, he should have used it for afrits and others. Putting, say, four afrits there would have been much better than the way they were used in map04.

Just started playing the full version, hadn't realized you released it yet. My only gripe with it so far is the need to jump in MAP01. I'm not opposed to jumping at all, but it seemed totally unnecessary where it was needed, you could've just lowered the steps/ledges eight units instead. It's annoying having to jump up a staircase instead of just walking.

(Also, the doors were broken with strict Doom compatibility, but that was my fault for not turning it off. I spent a good five minutes running around looking for a hidden switch to open the doors.)

It would've been cool if you had done the subtractive translucency thing on the Nightmare Imps, like the PSX Nightmare Spectres have.

@printz: Thanks for clarifying. PSX Doom was less detailed than PC Doom, yes, and some of the maps were heavily edited due to memory constraints (E2M2 for example). I did attempt to spruce things up a bit in my own mewbish way (consoles, lamps and other wall insets) but I'm glad you're taking into account the source material and my limited ability, so cheers :)

@Dragonsbrethren: Unfortunately ZDoom doesn't currently support subtractive translucency on sprites. I actually asked Randy and Graf about adding it some time ago and while it wasn't specifically no'ed, it still isn't in there.

The jumps and the crouching secret in MAP01 were just put in there as a little hint to say, "yes, they're required". I anticipated that not everyone reads the readme (I'm not saying you didn't ;)).

@Jodwin: The sounds were used the same way there were in PSX Doom. If that's stupid, it's not my fault. You knew what you were getting into when you loaded this wad up.

Regarding layout, I just want to point out that, bar a few key areas (including a couple you mentioned), these maps were more or less improvised from beginning to end. You may call that a bad design choice but that's your opinion. As for the Cyber fight in MAP07, I figured that the wad already had enough custom monsters and I didn't want to go overboard. And, yeah, Wolf3D had loads of diagonal walls IIRC.

That Afrit area in MAP04 gives you the Minigun, a highly effective weapon for pinning down enemies and there are walls either side of the red key that you can use for cover. Add in the fact that it's possible to jump from there straight on to either end of the U-shaped pathway at the bottom if you need to bail out of there, and you have plenty of scope for maneuvre. Write it off as bad design if you wish, but I can put down all three without taking a hit, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I did test this thing, you know.

Custom monsters/weapons do not a good WAD make, I agree, but regarding their usage in this wad, you appear to be in the minority. If you think it's a mediocre mapset, that's fine, can't please everyone, but try to be a bit more constructive in future instead of just slagging stuff off. This wad was never going to be perfect, but you come across as if you expect nothing less. Sorry, no can do.

scalliano said:

The jumps and the crouching secret in MAP01 were just put in there as a little hint to say, "yes, they're required". I anticipated that not everyone reads the readme (I'm not saying you didn't ;)).

Oh there is crouching in that map too? Did not even notice. I just feel weird about jumping though. I understand it's there as an indication that it is required, but that wasn't my first impression. The first impression is "this map is broken already."

Also when jumping is required, I expect to have a lot more emphasis on it. I was jumping up onto all kinds of ledges expecting to find secret areas and such, which kinda left me in a Am I supposed to be here mindset.

Ive played this mapset on skulltag the other day and I must say I really liked it. Normally I hate costum monsters but in this wad they are used the right way and add to the gameplay. I liked the later levels the most because hell is the better theme overal and the architecture is done better. The gameplay was a bit too easy for me, I didnt die once on uv which makes it a bit boring, im a big fan of slaughtermaps so was dissapointed to not see any slaughter type maps. I dont like pretty much all psx and n64 sounds, the pc doom sounds all sound better imo. I also really dont like the atmospheric music but thats just personal preference, im more a fan of death metal in doom, i wanna get pumped up not fall asleep :P. Overall a fine effort.

No, I don't expect perfection (even if it sounds like that, in which case I apologize), I'd expect good, fresh ideas and solid execution - in that order. I often give poorly done amateur maps good rep as long as they have interesting ideas in them that show off creative thinking.

Squares aren't creative, improvised (heh) or not.

Regarding the map04 afrits, yeah, they are possible to kill without taking a hit. A fight where you need to stick to a small closet while tough flying enemies are closing in (which you don't know whether they can get in there or not because monster blocking lines aren't visible) isn't exactly my choice of a fight. Taking cheap shots from behind corners isn't even nearly as fun as fighting the enemies in an open layout fair and square. And, of course, there's also the issue of us ZDOOM HATERS expecting the afrits to attack like Scythe 2's afrits, but whatever. This fight would have worked much better with a bunch of cacos instead of the afrits OR with a different kind of a layout, but this is being blown out of proportions for just one fight...

I don't know how I can be more constructive than by saying "Make more interesting layouts" because, really, that is the single biggest problem here.

@Jodwin: If that's your main issue, it's fine, it's something for me to keep in mind for future projects. The issue I have is that this collection of poorly-done amateur maps took over a year to make. I'm not expecting it to be deemed awesome by default for that, it's just that I'm simply not prepared to go back and make wholesale changes to all of the maps over someone shouting "meh". I'd rather start something fresh.

@40oz: While jump/crouch was an initial decision, I didn't want to risk turning it into a platformer. There are a reasonable number of secrets that require it later on, but I was careful not to have any map breakage or "not supposed to be here" issues.

scalliano said:

I'm not expecting it to be deemed awesome by default for that, it's just that I'm simply not prepared to go back and make wholesale changes to all of the maps over someone shouting "meh". I'd rather start something fresh.

That's fine for me, I'm not expecting you to edit already-released maps as long as you keep the criticism in mind in your future projects. From my point of view, I saw people praising ToP, following which I played it and only found what I consider to be mediocre mapping.

And since you quoted /idgames reviews, let me do the same. :)

someone said:

^^ Its's not a masterpiece because the colored lights (which looks very well), it's a masterpiece because has a decent mapset, a good gameplay, nice sound effects and music, new enemies, and I enjoyed a lot. 5/5

someone else said:

Awesome. Brilliant light use. Fantastic music and sound. New monsters. One of the best of the year.

So basically, it's a masterpiece despite having only a decent set of maps because you used sounds, music and enemies made by someone else. And the second guy didn't even find the maps worth mentioning! This isn't criticism towards you, but these ZDoom-feature yes-men who care more about what extra shit you put on a wad rather than caring about the actual maps. All the mediocre mappers on ZDoom forums who just keep repeating themselves must be more or less result of this attitude where your maps don't matter as long as you're using the most popular custom monster of the day. Sure, use the custom stuff if you want to, but don't forget that the map comes first.

Or, it should come first. Else you can't be a good mapper.

I could imagine the help making a threshold II, by making maps if the mapping skills lacks. I love this wad and yes, the sounds made much of the difference but at the same time these maps are something beyond my thinking of making maps .. too much doom1 or techbase theme for me over the years Ive been playing and building.

Jodwin said:

So basically, it's a masterpiece despite having only a decent set of maps because you used sounds, music and enemies made by someone else. And the second guy didn't even find the maps worth mentioning! This isn't criticism towards you, but these ZDoom-feature yes-men who care more about what extra shit you put on a wad rather than caring about the actual maps. All the mediocre mappers on ZDoom forums who just keep repeating themselves must be more or less result of this attitude where your maps don't matter as long as you're using the most popular custom monster of the day. Sure, use the custom stuff if you want to, but don't forget that the map comes first.

Or, it should come first. Else you can't be a good mapper.

I see your point, totally, and in a lot of respects, I agree. The map always comes first. It shouldn't be all about the extra DECORATE actors and GL effects. All too often I've seen comments like that about ZDoom wads and a lot of projects developed for ZDoom tend to feel the need to shoehorn extra stuff in to buff them out. However, I can honestly say that wasn't the case with this project.

In the case of this wad (which I'd wanted to make for years but never had the confidence until now) it was very much a question of which port would be right for what I wanted to do, and ZDoom fitted the bill. I respect your opinion that the maps aren't up to scratch, but even if I'd made this wad for PrBoom or Doomsday the maps themselves would have been very much the same.

For what it's worth, while the Bestiary content was intended as a bonus, the nightmare class monsters were an essential part of the wad given the theme. Also, not all of the new content was outsourced, a decent amount of the DECORATE and some of the sprite work was done by me. I'm very much an advocate of the "old-school Doom with some extra stuff" ideal which is what I believe ZDoom SHOULD be used for, but rarely is.

While my own opinion is meaningless in this thread (as it should be), I personally think I did alright for a first attempt. I had a blast making this wad, and it has been a real learning curve in getting to grips with Doom Builder and other tools. All the feedback I got throughout the development was very helpful, and sadly it's the negative feedback that always helps the most. Even outside of this discussion I know that I can improve upon what I've done in ToP, although while ToP2 will happen, it's a way off.

Also, I'm glad that this has stayed civil, the last thing I want is a flamewar on my own project thread.

Scalliano wrote: This is my first proper wad

Wow. Excellent first proper wad mate!

It has been a long while since i felt immersed by a doom 1/2 wad, but this one sure hit the spot.

"I may not know much about art, but i know what i like!"

I'm on about level 9 now and still loving this thing. I can't remember the last time I played all the way through a large WAD, but this one is very well done and worth sticking with.

Good stuff -

huge levels! But not overly confusing. I have yet to get overly lost. The levels flow quite well.

The progression of difficulty is also superb. You use the tougher custom monsters very well, such as the new mancubi and winged baron dudes. they aren't spammed (at least not yet), which is nice.

While we're on the difficulty... well, it's really 99% pretty easy. This is because of all the ammo lying around. There's TONS of it! I can pick pretty much whatever weapon I want to use at any time. Oftentimes I'll feel I've depleted too much of my cells and try to hold off for a while, only to very soon run over some dropped cells from a plasma zombie and realize I'm not picking it up because I'm maxed again. So yes, maybe too much ammo. But between you and me, I think this is a large factor in the fun. I can blast to my heart's content and not have to worry that I'll be screwing myself over for later battles without enough heavy fire power.

I don't care what the common wisdom is, all the custom lighting gives this WAD it's own unique feel. Most of it is used excellently. Especially in the hell area. You use the proper hues so none of it hurts your eyes and soon it's the non-lit areas that stick out. Coming across a mancubus and not being sure if it's the normal or the buffed version due to lighting is neat.

Possible suggestions for the future -

A lot of areas look and play the same. Wall decorations are the same hallway after hallway, and many rooms have the imps on high ground shooting down at you. It hasn't been so bad I've found it unenjoyable, but getting rid of some of the near-identical areas wouldn't hurt. the levels are big enough.

SPOILERZ!!!

Unless I'm missing something about it, the unmaker is not at all a tier 7 weapon. it takes several shots of it just to kill a caco. Compare that to the BFG that can take out several cacos with one shot. The unmaker feels much more like a hitscan version of the plasma gun, and really belongs in slot 6 as-is. If it sticks in slot 7 I would make it the backup weapon of this slot, as oftentimes I want to nuke some fools but pull up the unmaker instead of the BFG, which is a pain. I know you are just trying to stay consistent with the console versions, but as it it detracts from gameplay. I'd buff it out (like triple the damage) if you're going to use it as such in the future. I'm not done with the WAD though, and I know in the console version it's upgradeable, so hopefully I'm not speaking too soon.

That's it so far. Great stuff all around. It seems that most of the criticism you have received has been a bit petty in my opinion and not based on playing the WAD for any amount of time. People just see colored lighting or jumping and it offends their purist sensibilities, which should not be taken too seriously my friend. These levels are a blast to play. It bugs me that someone makes something with clearly a lot of heart and effort and then because of some assign aspect of it people say it's bad. Ah well, c'est la vie. I think this rocks. Thanks for providing my entertainment for the weekend and beyond.

NT

scalliano said:
The jumps and the crouching secret in MAP01 were just put in there as a little hint to say, "yes, they're required". I anticipated that not everyone reads the readme (I'm not saying you didn't ;)).[/B]

Well like I said, I'm not opposed to jumping, that staircase was just annoying though. The first pit you need to jump out of was fine, although being used to not having it, my first course of action was to run back up the side I could get up and look for an alternate route instead.

I thought bounding across the crates to get secrets in MAP02 was a much better use. Unfortunately, MAP02 also cemented what Jodwin said about square rooms for me; this one could've used a little work.

Just finished this, the boss cyber's homing rockets were a little annoying but on the other hand, without those it would have been too easy, so...

There's one thing I have to specifically mention about map09: In the blue key section there was a lava cave room where you had to climb up a few platforms and there was a winged baron up there sniping while you were climbing. That was the best time in the whole wad that a custom monster was being used. I would have only hoped that the climbing would have lasted longer, and maybe that the second winged baron would have also woken up when you went in to the room, but over all, that was really good.

Jodwin said:

So basically, it's a masterpiece despite having only a decent set of maps because you used sounds, music and enemies made by someone else. And the second guy didn't even find the maps worth mentioning! This isn't criticism towards you, but these ZDoom-feature yes-men who care more about what extra shit you put on a wad rather than caring about the actual maps.

There's still some merit to this, as it shows that the mapper has used the custom content well. Even if there's improvement to be had on the mapping side, but this here strikes me as a big plus. Something that'll make later projects even better as the mapping improves.

if there will be any Thresh hold of pain 2, then I wanna make 2-3 maps for it, if there wount be a second, then I make something similar myself, this contained enormous inspiration for me.

I think the maps was ok. but sure I noticed 90 degrees everywere :)

Thanks, Xaser :)

@D_GARG: I appreciate the offer, but Threshold II will be a while in the making, and TBH I'd rather keep it as a personal project. No reflection on yourself, but there's nothing stopping you from going ahead and doing your own PSX-themed maps anyway. In fact, please do - I'd love to see someone else's take on the idea.

Im already on it, making a 10-20 lvl wad :)

then we'll see the quality of it, but it will be a complete hell to finish.

looking in builder is cheating.

I found your archvile rapes in outdoors area as a really nice obstacle, it requred BFG to manage with out too low hp level :)

also, map12 Is , in my opinion, a master piece
good music u made there ^^