Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aldiboronti

Monsters doing the shimmy

I'll explain. It's when you have a monster confined to a very small space, maybe on top of a thin pedestal or confined to a cramped cell. The monster will be in constant motion, making little movements to left and right. Sometimes they're so involved in their little dance that they forget to fire at you and you can pick them off at your leisure. (Especially useful with revenants.)

So what's happening here? Does confining them to too small a space somehow screw up their routines? As I say, it varies, but sometimes the effect is so pronounced that you could walk up to the revenant and engage him in an hour's chitchat and small talk without any harm coming to you.

It's definitely one of those things that every Doomer has seen and knows about, but where nobody thinks to bring it up except you. :)

From my observations, I think the monster has to be in motion in a certain direction for a set amount of time or distance. Like, assume it has to travel in one direction long enough or far enough for it to enter it's attack state, and because it's constantly changing directions resetting the "timer", it doesn't get priority to attack. That's my guess.

I've come to the same conclusion as EQ myself.

I'm also greatly surprised none of the engine experts have given an actual explanation with sourcecode here.

aldiboronti said:

So what's happening here? Does confining them to too small a space somehow screw up their routines? As I say, it varies, but sometimes the effect is so pronounced that you could walk up to the revenant and engage him in an hour's chitchat and small talk without any harm coming to you.

Take a good look at my avatar for an answer.

An educated guess would be that since monsters are coded to move a fixed amount per tick and can only move in 8 directions (unlike the player who can smoothly modulate his speed with the proper controls, an turn freely), confining them in a way that they can't move this minimum distance fucks up their movement because the sidedef collision checking consistently fails in all directions. Faster moving monsters are more prone to this than slower ones, of course.

As a result, their "I hit a wall/obstacle/unpassable linedef" response triggers continuously, which causes them to hopelessly change direction and wiggle about. The case of a cybie stuck under a low ceiling is similar, but in that case it can't even turn.

Even in this state however, trapped monsters may fully retaliate against melee attacks and even their ranged attack may occasionally trigger, depending on how they are confined. Stuck monsters may retaliate only once if they are attacked in their non-activated state (they may even change orientation once).