Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

feckyoo boom maps (map3 finished)

gggmork said:

No demo yet, but this level should be theoretically possible to max.

fixed.

I like the use of the word "theoretically" in your description gggmork /:-

I will give this a little look.

Haha hilarious. It's possible, but perfect strategy and planning is required definitely... but still it's hilariously interesting and sadistic, I really like the idea of using the cybers but trying to AV jump onto the ledges without any of the archies dying would be a challenge unless I am mistaken (I was using godmode heh). Demo anyone?

Too insane for my taste, trying to survive by letting 9 cyberdemons kill the Spidermasterminds just so you can release some archviles so you can "jump" to a small ledge is a bit impossible for me.

Updated wad, sorry.

Now the end vile part isn't impossible impossible in zdoom (zdoom has no infinitely tall rocket splash damage so behaved differently).

Nice attempt though kyka (his linked demo includes old wad version btw).

Ok, finished and uvmaxed map1. Its easier to do the vile jump now and a few other slight tweaks. I guess it makes more sense to try to demo/beat my own maps before spamming them so I can fix gameplay issues and such.

I think if I played Doom for every remaining second of my life until I died, I would never be as good as you are. That was incredible!

heh, every part made me lol. Looks like another gggmorksterpiece!
I usually wait until you post demos before I fully check out your maps, so I can see how you intended them to be played.

Never underestimate the doom playing abilities of people with no life, heh heh. But some doomers are better than me, especially those who use a mouse (but the 180 degree flip key sure helps get past the glacial keyboard turning speed).
My guess is that a map like this is probably more fun to beat at all let alone fast. Timeofdeath's mapping strategy seems to be to include more health, which is probably a better idea in terms of fun factor because it allows more competitive gameplay to beat the map as fast as possible (many demos here are awesome: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15880 ).

Damn, that demo is insane. When I first played it (before I saw the demo) I thought I was good or something because I got to the third spider...

I like your maps though.

i have got as far as finishing the archvile/hell knight section. But then I got stuck, coz I figured I must have needed one of those archviles to blow me up onto that chaingunner platform, unless I did something wrong. I had the cybers kill them all long before I worked that out. This was on the original version of the map, before modification. I should try the new one eh?

Thanks gggmork, this map is amazing and unique. As always.

[edit]Here is another failed (Of course!!!) attempt. I have got further than this on other tries, but this has a couple of really cool moments in it. Still on the original version of the map, am having fun with that one. :P http://www.speedyshare.com/353964641.html (ZDoom2.3.1 again)[/edit]

There are some reserve viles at the end in column lifts that can be used for the vile blast, in case the first wave die. The final wad version makes the vile blast easier though, because 4 deaf viles (& health/armor) also appear in the cyber area after you get the megasphere.
That first cyber part is probably the hardest part in the level (I usually like to put hard parts at the beginning so constantly restarting from a death isn't that big of a cost). The cyber telefrag part can cheaply kill you though since the player pauses a bit when telefragging, during which the other cybers can shoot you.

edit: heh, that one rocket barely skimmed you and you turned and looked at it. That's pretty much my strategy = slowly move while fairly far away or use a cyber on the end as a shield from the other cybers (basically kill time until all the masterminds come down). Also helps to shoot once after the first mastermind comes down to wake up the others. For the vile jump you can shoot any vile once to make it concentrate its hate on you (due to vile infighting behavior of instantly focusing on whoever attacks them). But, for zdoom, that wad version is pretty nearly impossible at the end of the level anyway. And zdoom is probably harder than prboomplus (viles blast you higher, and no infinitely tall rocket splash damage).

(fixed first link to put 1st demo in zip also. Renamed the demos too, but doubt that would affect anything)

I just played map02, at first I thought it wasn't too hard til I encounter the last room with LOTS of voodoo dolls and got kill by the cyberdemon before reaching the second switch(truthfully I was using saves to get that far so I'm not as good as you). Anyway good map.

Trying to record demos but nothing yet. Only made it to the tyson hell knights in map01 and the tyson cyber in map02 (he likes to go back into his shooting phase like immediately after shooting his 3rd rocket heh).

I wanted to do something like the map02 shootable switches part - make an animated movie with a bunch of new textures - each texture would be a frame in the movie, and you shoot the screen with the chaingun to go to the next frame - I used a scene from the movie "Stick It" where Missy Peregrym is doing a handstand and opens her legs to do the splits and the camera's looking down on her from above. YUM

I think its even possible to punch the cyber between 2 normal rockets (as opposed to after the 3rd) but its too risky to do at that point probably (helps if you have side/strafing motion while punching probably). Prboom-plus's bounding box make it a lot harder than zdoom probably (almost impossible to punch an arachnotron in prboom-plus).
Your demos are quite fun to watch but you don't have to make a demo on these if you don't wanna of course (low health might make recording a run less fun).
Interesting animation/frame idea (might make the wad a large file size w/ all those frame pics though). I just wanted a mechanism to remove all ammo (which is kinda annoying because you have to redo that whenever you die. I maybe should've made the damage make the player life lower so only a single arachnotron projectile would always kill). Also the end voodoo dolls are a mechanism to prevent winning unless you berserk the cyber (since he'll warp and shoot them).

Yeah, I figured the shootable walls were to waste your ammo so you couldn't flick the spiders to stop them from shooting? Cool idea (I really like the gameplay ideas in both maps). No complaints from me about starting with 25 health instead of 5. :)

Here's a map01 demo in 9:25

It was my first time into the cyber telefrag room, so I assumed I would die before getting an exit (and I couldn't remember what to do next for a few seconds). I "cheated" and used the chaingun for some of the revenants, which feels like it helped.

It looks like you could handle something 4 times harder if you wanted. You were probably playing with one hand tied behind your back and playing this and a game of mario kart simultaneously.

You're too funny. :P
Here's a map02 max in 7:00. I think I got really lucky with the cyber punching - it looks like most of them hit him.

I didn't have problems with this until today, but sometimes the switch behind the second arachnotron wouldn't open and I was stuck, and one time one of the arachnotron floors wouldn't raise. I don't know what's going on cuz I've never done that voodoo doll stuff before. These maps are mega fun.

Heh, bfg, fists, bfg, fists. Your time was so much faster that I thought you might have just ran in circles around the cyber constantly punching somehow or something.

I guess you probably did a wall run and managed to skip over all 4 walk over lines in the middle without triggering any (but only 2 have their 1st side facing in the same direction if that matters). I didn't think 4 lines would likely be skippable.

Oops, I forgot you could still skip linedefs with boom compatibility, my bad.
You probably already had this idea, but what about a map, or a part in a map, where there are a crapload of revenants - you run around in circles so that they keep firing their missiles at you until there are a crapload of missiles following you - then you lure the missiles around a big winding corridor or something, into a room with a cyber or something - the only way to kill the cyber would be to lure the missiles?

Or use pain elementals + lost souls? That'd take a long time unless there were 5+ pain elementals though plus the 20 lost soul limit would have to be off.

Arch-vile platforming could be interesting, although it'd be a little difficult to stay on open platforms. Same could kind of be done with cyber rockets, have them ~64 units higher up then dodge back a little after they shoot to give force under you. I'm kind of thinking on that arch-vile one now though, be interesting to have a large "effect maps" wad then detail them heavily. Be kinda like the 1994 challenge project but to give creative minds interesting backdrops ;)

Good idea and could fit with the 'hard even though you rarely shoot monsters' gameplay I seem to have been doing so far (I wonder if a cyber could be killed in 1 hit as long as a powerful enough 'super' reverent projectile (lots combined into 1) is following you. You can't really lead lost souls easily though cuz they go in a straight line and you'd generally just do 1 at a time, and it'd take tons of lost soul hits to kill a cyber. 'arch vile platforming'- I guess that = jumping onto higher and higher columns with vile blasts, or far columns that could only be reached with aid of a cyber rocket blast for momentum? Could be interesing.).

Finished the 3rd map (updated link in op). 'Breakout' would be a suitable name. Only have a failed demo so far so not even 100% sure if its possible to break out. Its another simple 'rarely shoot monsters' map but really hard.

Have no idea what kind of slowdown map3 might cause for others (works fine in prboomplus for me, but for zdoom there's pretty much unplayable lag).

Seems theoretically possible, your ratios were going well, even with the Archviles resurrecting. I guess you're always going to have at least one monster left.

My own attempts at these would be laughable, but god it's fun watching you guys play.