Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #356

Bloodshedder said:

ReeKrank - Reagan Hawkins
doom2.exe - Solo Play - 395251 bytes - (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img) (img)

I just finished this on UV too, it's not too bad considering it's a 1998 episode. Simply styled and quite easy for the most part, the few challenging parts are a surprise as it suddenly switches from humans and Imps to more difficult monsters. The secrets mostly require wall humping, though there's often an automap hidden in each level. Use of switches is fairly un-switch-hunty, the layouts are quite good tho a bit too symmetrical in parts and mazes feature a little too much. If you like short little arena maps which make you move fast then check out MAP06, which can even stand well on its' own. The final battle is sadly unchallenging, I was expecting (and hoping for) a Cyberdemon.

Super Jamie said:

I just finished this on UV too, it's not too bad considering it's a 1998 episode. Simply styled and quite easy for the most part, the few challenging parts are a surprise as it suddenly switches from humans and Imps to more difficult monsters. The secrets mostly require wall humping, though there's often an automap hidden in each level. Use of switches is fairly un-switch-hunty, the layouts are quite good tho a bit too symmetrical in parts and mazes feature a little too much. If you like short little arena maps which make you move fast then check out MAP06, which can even stand well on its' own. The final battle is sadly unchallenging, I was expecting (and hoping for) a Cyberdemon.

that was like my exact thoughts on it after playing it.

DoP2 was fucking AMAZING. I need to start mapping again. I loved those 3D bridges or whatever they are called where you can go both above and below them.

Anyone know how to make them? :(
Is it a transfer heights thing?

There are some bugs in the DoP2 version in the archives right now. I've uploaded a new version but it'll be a while before it's processed. In the meantime, it can be found here: http://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/dop2

If you've already played it, no need to bother. Otherwise the newer version is recommended.

Just played Claws of the Enraged Beast. I beat the entire thing on Slaughter on my first try. It isn't too tough, you just need to be patient and pick enemies off carefully. One thing I noticed that the reviewer didn't is that the player's top speed is slightly slower.

And remember the one rule of playing maps w/o saves. If you hear a shit-ton of revenants and a cyb alert noise all at once, RUN LIKE A FUCKING BITCH IN THE OTHER DIRECTION.

Also, that dark staircase area with the revenants was unbelivably annoying.

If the player speed is lower in Claws of the Enraged Beast than it most certainly isn't something I've seen! I also didn't implement anything like that myself, so I'm not sure what's happening your end.

Whoops, guess I messed up on that judgment.

Anyway, I tried playing DoP2, and got as far as the "Boss" part of level 2, which annoyed me so badly I gave up and warped to the next level. Will try it some more later. Very atmospheric.

udderdude said:

Anyway, I tried playing DoP2, and got as far as the "Boss" part of level 2, which annoyed me so badly I gave up and warped to the next level.

Yeah, that fight is definitely excessive. First of all I didn't realize I was supposed to damage the archvile, so after fighting the fifth wave three times I thought the fight was bugged. Then I realized that the archvile is the real target, but I still thought it was operating on classical boss logic - hit it in its "weak point" three times and you win. After hitting it with at least one rocket per wave for six waves or so I knew that wasn't right either. Finally I realized I had to pump as much damage into it as possible while its shield is down, and it still took 6 waves and every bit of my ammo and health to win. I'd suggest lowering its health a tad, and, even though this fight is clearly intended as "training" for the final fight, I think it would be better if a brief encounter with the forcefield mechanic were placed even earlier in the game to train the player for this one.

The end puzzle of MAP04 also seemed a little screwy. I shot the first (leftmost) switch, was told "2 more," shot some other switch, was told "wrong sequence," shot the first switch again, was told "1 more," shot some other switch, was told "wrong sequence" again, and finally shot the first switch a third time, and this caused the lift to rise. Did I break something?

I downloaded the version that's still on /idgames. I suppose you could have already tweaked these parts without my knowing.

For the record, I nitpick because I love. I'm very pleased overall. I especially like the auto-save powerups. I usually prefer that games have a checkpoint system, so I don't have to take responsibility for my own saving, and these items are even better than checkpoints for the element of strategy they introduce: when is it best to take them? Very clever.

Creaphis said:

Then I realized that the archvile is the real target, but I still thought it was operating on classical boss logic - hit it in its "weak point" three times and you win.

Most Doom boss logic I have seen has been rather straightforward, find a way to damage it while avoiding damge yourself. This was originally a smaller training event though, so I guess I overlooked it a bit.[/b][/quote]

The end puzzle of MAP04 also seemed a little screwy. I shot the first (leftmost) switch, was told "2 more," shot some other switch, was told "wrong sequence," shot the first switch again, was told "1 more," shot some other switch, was told "wrong sequence" again, and finally shot the first switch a third time, and this caused the lift to rise. Did I break something?

The original intention of that "puzzle" is lost to me, but as it is now it's mostly a facade for random number generator. It doesn't matter which switch you hit, if you get the luck of the draw you get another notch. 1 in 2 chance for easy, 1 in 3 for normal and 1 in 4 for hard. The only exception is if you have 3 "misses" in a row, then the fourth is a guaranteed hit. Getting streaks of misses is pretty frustrating in a dumb puzzle like this.

I downloaded the version that's still on /idgames. I suppose you could have already tweaked these parts without my knowing.

The shielded archviles have a slightly (15) higher painchance and a little less health so it should be notieable easier to take them down, in both boss-fights.

The real thing that frustrated me about the arch-vile-in-a-box boss wasn't really having to shoot it at the right time. It was that you are pretty much surrounded by hitscanners with no cover, and have nothing but rockets to kill shit with, so it's easy to blow yourself up. When the chaingunners showed up I just said "Fuck it".

exl said:

The original intention of that "puzzle" is lost to me, but as it is now it's mostly a facade for random number generator. It doesn't matter which switch you hit, if you get the luck of the draw you get another notch. 1 in 2 chance for easy, 1 in 3 for normal and 1 in 4 for hard. The only exception is if you have 3 "misses" in a row, then the fourth is a guaranteed hit. Getting streaks of misses is pretty frustrating in a dumb puzzle like this.

You really should have just gotten rid of the randomess entirely. I haven't gotten that far, but it sounds like it would piss me off as well.