Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
-_DLD_-

[SOLVED] Extremely Strange Map Problem

Recommended Posts

After 4-5 years, I've finally decided to attempt to finish the Episode I was working on for a Doom project.

After trying a few things to add E1M8 to the project before seeing the "save into" button in Doom Builder 2, I seem to have royally screwed something up.

As of now, any changes I make to E1M6 or E1M8 in Doom Builder aren't being taken into account when I run the game in ZDoom. E1M8 is actually not even "there" and instead of the single room I have in the E1M8 slot in Doom Builder, I get the normal id level.

To further complicate things, E1M6 (with the changes I made to it) and E1M8 are both showing up fine when I look at them in XWE, but SLumpEd isn't registering the difference.

Actually, SLumpEd doesn't even acknowledge E1M8 or its associated lump files existence.

I believe that I've got the latest version(s) of ZDoom, SLumpEd, Doom Builder 2, and XWE.

Here is the file itself. I've ran into a bunch of stumbling blocks before, but I figured them out with enough searching. Sadly it appears this one has me completely stumped.

One oddity is SLumpEd says that the E1M6 lump itself is 108 bytes instead of the usual 0.

What appears to be happening is changes I made in Doom Builder 2 only affect the file when I look at it in XWE and vice versa. Any changes I make to the file in DB2 or XWE don't register in SLumpEd or the game itself when I load it up with ZDoom.

Please excuse the long post, but I'm still very inexperienced with wad editing and I wanted to explain my problem as thoroughly as possible.

Share this post


Link to post

I opened it in xwe, and all I could find was you had 2 FF_start and F/F_end markers (1 of each of the end ones). As far as I know that shouldn't be a problem, but maybe it is. I don't use SlumpED, but I do use DB2, and when I made a small change to E1M8 it registered it when I played it in zdoom 2.3.1 (r1480) and skulltag. I haven't updated DB2 since I first downloaded it except for getting the GZdoom config, no ideas there.

Besides that stuff, zdoom and skulltag note a lot of textures with missing patches, yet still plays fine. I have this problem when playing ultimate doom in skulltag, but everything shows fine anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
-_DLD_- said:

As of now, any changes I make to E1M6 or E1M8 in Doom Builder aren't being taken into account when I run the game in ZDoom. E1M8 is actually not even "there" and instead of the single room I have in the E1M8 slot in Doom Builder, I get the normal id level.

To further complicate things, E1M6 (with the changes I made to it) and E1M8 are both showing up fine when I look at them in XWE, but SLumpEd isn't registering the difference.

Actually, SLumpEd doesn't even acknowledge E1M8 or its associated lump files existence.

Apart from missing textures I couldn't find any major faults in XWE, found E1M8 in SLumpEd and ran it in ZDoom. Are you one of those poor unfortunates who use Vista? The symptoms you're describing read like a virtual folder issue.

Share this post


Link to post

@Armoured,

I believe that I had that in there for some reason since I stopped working on this wad in '04 or '05 so it didn't cause any problems. To make sure though I deleted the extra FF entries.

@Grey,

I actually made a new folder called "DLD" and moved my wad file to there. When opening it in SLumpEd, it found the wad file in perfect working order. Now it appears the same in XWE, SLumpEd, and DB2!

So that means everything's fixed right? Right?!

Nope. While keeping "dld.wad" in my DLD folder, ZDoom is still picking up the old file for some reason.

The path to dld.wad currently is "C:\Program Files\DooM\FINALDOOM\DLD\dld.wad" and ZDoom is located in the FINALDOOM folder.

Currently my "Target" command line reads as: "C:\Program Files\DooM\FINALDOOM\zdoom.exe" -file dld.wad

Still getting that error.

The same error persisted when I copied dld.wad back to the FINALDOOM folder.

Actually, I just tested something. I copied the working version of dld.wad back to its original place in the FINALDOOM folder.

When I opened it from there with SLumpEd, the same problem resurfaced!

And yes, I am running Vista these days.

Share this post


Link to post
-_DLD_- said:

The path to dld.wad currently is "C:\Program Files\DooM\FINALDOOM\DLD\dld.wad" and ZDoom is located in the FINALDOOM folder.



There's your problem. Do not put any data files in the Program Files folder or any subfolder of it.

Program Files is only for installations that won't change. Everything else should be in another place.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you!

I'm very surprised that it took until now for the problem to surface, as I've been editing the wad again for a little bit now.

E1M6 is what I'm currently working on.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×