Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t.v.

Harmony Bugfix patch

First I would like to thank everyone who downloaded and played Harmony.
It already has been downloaded over a 1000 times and it hasn't even been online for a week. This is more than I expected and could have hoped for. Thanks guys!

But people have also reported bugs (in another thread and by e-mail). I do not intend to fix all of them, but some need fixing IMO.
I have decided to make a patch to fix the most disturbing ones.

Here is a list of bugs I found so far.
-- If you find more please report them in this thread. I am looking for serious bugs, so no texture misalignments or esthetic details.

* Display of 'missing patch' at start up.
* No difficulty settings on map06. sorry about that :-P
* Map names aren't consistent
* Missing texture "Cratetop" in map04
* Jumping and crouching will be disabled
* Harmony is buggy under Windows Vista, because I forgot to include the autoexec.cfg file :-/
* Scale pictures in Alternative HUD (I don't know how this can be done though)

I will try to finish the bugfix patch before December.
If I have questions on how to fix stuff I will ask them in this thread.

thanks again,
t.v.

Dunno if this was reported, but the zdoom crouching sprites are there. Not a big deal if you're going to disable crouch via mapinfo, but if you want this to have absolutely no graphics based in id Software's sprites I'd replace them with cyan squares, or remove them if that doesn't make zdoom crash.

t.v. said:

I will try to finish the bugfix patch before December.
If I have questions on how to fix stuff I will ask them in this thread.

If you could put everything in a single .wad file and place there a dummy HARMONY lump as a marker or text lump (could put version info in there for example), then it would be possible for ZDoom to recognize it as a stand-alone game, like Freedoom, Blasphemer, and Urban Brawl 2 are already. ;)

Graf Zahl said:

Also, inclusion of Blzut's DECORATE conversion of the Dehacked patch would be appreciated.

Indeed. I just finished playing through Harmony. I did notice two bugs in my conversion (soldiers had not firing sound and the dead beastling was unscaled). Here's the latest conversion with these bugs fixed: http://blzut3.maniacsvault.net/harmony5.pk7

t.v., I highly encourage you to consider my conversion. Particularly as getting Harmony into one file will allow us to add it to ZDoom's IWAD selection. If you wish to use a single WAD the lumps you need from my pk7 are decorate.txt, language.enu, lockdefs.txt, decaldef.lmp, althudcf.cfg, and sbarinfo.txt.

If your concerned about compatibility with other ports, I must say that since DECORATE is a human readable format it can be easily ported to the other port's native formats. Particularly Eternity which is getting a decorate state parser so most of the work is copy and paste. In addition there's nothing stopping you from distributing the dehacked file along side.

P.S. I have fixed the fullscreen hud. Just take a look at textures.txt in my pk7 (it's a renamed 7-zip archive).

I've got two to report on the weapons:

- Shotgun doesn't appear to have a Raise state.
- Chaingun consumes 1 bullet in the first and last shot (out of four), but two in the others.

There also appear to be a few typos in the messages. I'll send you a revised LANGUAGE lump if you want me to.

t.v. said:

@ Blzut3: I don't know how to open/use a pk7 file :-/.

I guess that's just a renamed .7z file. You can open it with 7zip.

Graf Zahl said:

7z is smaller although with most of it being the music it's pointless and a bit inconvenient here.

It saved 1MB and I didn't want to spend the extra 2 minutes uploading it. In practice 7zs take quite a bit longer to load (even non-solid archives). I'm guessing it's due to LZMA being slower than deflate. An official release should be a wad or pk3.

It would be easy to convert the pk7 into a pk3. Just extract and recompress.

EDIT: By the way, I did explain how to open a pk7 in my original post.

Blzut3 said:

P.S. I have fixed the fullscreen hud. Just take a look at textures.txt in my pk7 (it's a renamed 7-zip archive).

Blzut3 said:

In practice 7zs take quite a bit longer to load (even non-solid archives). I'm guessing it's due to LZMA being slower than deflate. An official release should be a wad or pk3.

No, it's just that solid archives take longer to decompress than single isolated files.

Graf Zahl said:

No, it's just that solid archives take longer to decompress than single isolated files.

As I said in my previous post, even non-solid 7zs archives are slower than zips. The pk7s I have been providing are non-solid so if this is a bug you can use them for reference.

A non-solid archive is significantly faster than a solid archive, but still noticeably slower than a zip.

Maybe it's how 7z's have to be accessed.

For Zips the entire directory is loaded and never being used again and lumps are just accessed directly in the file

For 7z's opening each lump has to through the 7z library and who knows what it's doing.