Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
StarFyre

I think a creature like this would rock

Hello,

A balrog type demon. like tolkien's balrog.. Instead of dynamic lighting, dynamic darkness..as it moves around, the rooms get darker due to shadow, and just lights being nullified. THen make it's body black fire..like fire and shadow combined...

then give it some heavy weapons (or even the firewhip)..that would be pretty damn impressive..hehe

Also a D&D type marilith could be cool too...with a differnt gun in each arm.

John Carmack plays D&D so we can hope ;)

Later.

Sanjay

John Carmack plays D&D so we can hope ;)

i once read that every hour spent playing d&d adds weeks to your virginity. that said, i like the darkness moving around the room idea.

I tried to play D&d once when I was 8, than I realized it was so fucking boring and pointless and nerdy that I realized going outside was a better option.

If I hadn't made that decision I migh not have lost my virginity at 12, go firgure :P

Hello,

A balrog type demon. like tolkien's balrog.. Instead of dynamic lighting, dynamic darkness..as it moves around, the rooms get darker due to shadow, and just lights being nullified. THen make it's body black fire..like fire and shadow combined...

then give it some heavy weapons (or even the firewhip)..that would be pretty damn impressive..hehe

I don't know about 'heavy weapons', but I do think your idea could be kool if rendered properly. Why does every enemy have to fire something? Why do they have to be destroyable? What would be kool would be to have this balrog-like entity that, like you said, is composed of black flame, but attacks by floating or moving through the corridors after you. Like, maybe it wants to engulf you and absorb your flesh or life essence. And, maybe the only way you can outrun it is to close-off hatches and blast-doors to keep it from seeping through.

But I am an avid sports player, have a well paying job, am not a virgin, getting a nice car soon, and play D&D...go figure...goes to show that most people who speak are total morons.

Sanjay

But I am an avid sports player, have a well paying job, am not a virgin, getting a nice car soon, and play D&D...go figure...goes to show that most people who speak are total morons.

yeah, as long as your gaming is balanced with your life, you should be good. Tons of my friends play RPG's and still have time for, *achem*, interesting lives. It can be done.

I think I'm getting an idea here... I personally don't think that something as large as the balrog would fit into the setting (so far as has been released) of Doom 3. But a few interresting points about the concept have been raised:

1. The creature causes lights to dim wherever it moves (like a shadow).
2. Creature immortality.
3. The creature absorbs your life essence.

Now, tie this into a concept that we talked about on the old forum software: a break from the killing into a "chase" level. When we discussed it before the main example was a huge creature that chases you through the level, making you have to think on your feet and exercise something other than your trigger finger.

Now imagine a creature with the appearance of shadows (think the phantasms from Alice) the terrifies even the hell spawn you have been stuggling against (same caliber creature as the Cyberdemon). Slowly the lights around you start flickering and dim, fading into darkness. As you begin to wonder what's going on you hear a wispering, hushed voices seemingly coming from all directions, too faint to make out. As the darkness completely envelopes you the whispering suddenly ceases. Suddenly, out of the darkness a pale, sunken face appears, about the size of your torso. A hissing screach echoes from it's hollow throat as it opens it's massive jaws, and you vision begins to blur as you grow weaker. Behind you two enormous pale, bone-thin, spider-like hands close in to embrace you. As you shoot as it your bullets have no affect, but as the bullets ricochet off of the walls, the brightness of the sparks startles the creature just enough so that you can escape it. Your weapons are useless- all you can do now is run and hope to escape.

EllipsusD

Very cool idea. I like that.

Also, as you run, you turn around to see where it is, but all you see is the corridor getting darker as it nears you. You unload some grenades and machine gun fire..but nothing slows it down...you must keep running...

Later.

Sanjay

and you vision begins to blur as you grow weaker...

I dunno... The most annoying thing about Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the dark flashes you got when those 'damned souls' or whatever flew at you. There's nothing more annoying than using your sight in an FPS. Unless you know for certain it will kill you when it happens - so the delay before you can start playing again doesn't annoy the piss out of you.

and you vision begins to blur as you grow weaker...

I dunno... The most annoying thing about Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the dark flashes you got when those 'damned souls' or whatever flew at you. There's nothing more annoying than using your sight in an FPS. Unless you know for certain it will kill you when it happens - so the delay before you can start playing again doesn't annoy the piss out of you.

I just meant a momentary blurriness that comes at the point when it is almost too late. Since you can't hurt the creature there is little use in being able to see clearly where it is (it's basically all around you anyway). Frightening the creature would return your vision to normal.

balrog

SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO???

I sure hope you're joking...

Anyway, good ideas, people. Yeah, I certainly hope that Id decides to invent some new enemy ideas, such as this Balrog thing. I mean, to see something like that in this game with these ground-breaking effects would be something indeed...

Goddamn this thread sucks...

It could be worse. There hasn't been as many SF2 references as I thought there would be... but still too many for my liking.

Goddamn this thread sucks...

It could be worse. There hasn't been as many SF2 references as I thought there would be... but still too many for my liking.

SF sucked, anyone who looks like anyone from SF sucks and anyone who LIKES SF sucks.

SF sucked, anyone who looks like anyone from SF sucks and anyone who LIKES SF sucks.

Forgive my ignorance, but what game is SF? (I probably haven't tried that game, otherwise I'd likely know which game it is)

SF = Street fighter

they can use many D&D creatures as an idea and design interesting enemies.what ever it will be look liked.good monster AI is the need

They got inspiration from D&D when designing the original Doom monsters (potd featuring a monster with a cacodemon head anyone?).
I don't care where they get inspiration from as long as the monsters in Doom 3 end up looking cool and scary as Hell.
I wouldn't be surprised if Id came up with monsters, which'll make the Balrog in LotR seem like a puppy in comparison.

I always thought that the Caco was more inspired by the Beholder, but that pic proved me wrong. BTW, the name of that creature is an Astral Dreadnaught, just in case you care.

I always thought that the Caco was more inspired by the Beholder, but that pic proved me wrong. BTW, the name of that creature is an Astral Dreadnaught, just in case you care.

[b]NERD