Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirventolin

plutonia 2 wad question

for a long time, I was under the impression that "Plutonia Experiment" was one of the most extreme first person shooter mission packs ever devised, then I only recently found out there was a second plutonia.....I need it....

so I found it, got it, and.....the wad file just won't work, I've tested like 5 or 6 different Doom source ports, and they all load every other wad file I have, but none of them will run PL2.wad

also, i'm sure it's not a bad file because I've downloaded it twice, same result.

is there anything special I should have to do to it to make it work? I don't recall playing other custom wads being this troublesome.

Thanks

You have to use plutonia.wad as the IWad, not Doom2.wad.

Like this : port -iwad plutonia.wad -file pl2.wad

In case this doesn't work, try re-downloading PL2.zip.

You might be disappointed. The difficult isn't very different, but the gameplay is less fluid than the one of Plutonia turning boring after a while.
Also while Final DOOM had decent story line, the one of Plutonia 2 is one of the crappiest in a serious DOOM mod.

sirventolin said:
I've tested like 5 or 6 different Doom source ports,

Some engines have problems with the DECORATE MAPINFO lump, which is ZDoom-specific. You could try the latest versions PrBoom-plus or ZDoom, for example, that can run it fine.

I got it to work in some doom engines, Doomsday for one (under os x) and I got it to work in zdoom under windows xp, and maybe something else. Some other engines might have worked, it was like 4am, I don't totally recall.

I need to do more tests under VMware Fusion and VirtualBox to see exactly how much "doom" I can run on one machine. (some engines are better than others, and some are only written for some OSes)

On a side note, story, as far as I'm concerned, never has and never will have anything to do with doom gameplay; get guns, find keys, kill demons, repeat. I realize I might stand alone in that opinion, but then, this thread is a technical one about loading wads correctly.

Thanks for the helpful replies thus far, does anyone know of any lists of what popular wads work best with which engines?

sirventolin said:

Thanks for the helpful replies thus far, does anyone know of any lists of what popular wads work best with which engines?

I dont know what your interests are, but here are my favorite 'modern' mods:

John Wasburn's Cold as Hell: Best horror/psycological mod IMO, requires GZDoom to run.

Ultimate Torment and Torture by Daniel Gimmer: Its pretty much still Doom, but has some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen in a Doom mod

Deus Vult II by Huy Pham: You thought plutonia was intense? It's nothing compared to this. Just need a Limit removing port that supports Mp3s, prBoom+ or ZDoom come to mind.

sirventolin said:
On a side note, story, as far as I'm concerned, never has and never will have anything to do with doom gameplay; get guns, find keys, kill demons, repeat. I realize I might stand alone in that opinion, but then, this thread is a technical one about loading wads correctly.

Nah, many agree with that. When making an action-oriented DOOM level set, as exemplified by Plutonia, it's convenient to work on the game play and environment. You can then "tack in" a suitable story, if necessary. The story can be rather conventional, perhaps with a few twists of its own, especially if these can highlight some characteristic of the levels.

I shall make a point of ensuring that EE's eventual Hexen-format MAPINFO parser is tolerant of syntax errors.

pl2 sucks, no varaity, extremly boring gameplay, etc. even pl2 never had very good gameplay, dunno who thought of makeing a second one

Zetta said:

pl2 sucks, no varaity, extremly boring gameplay, etc. even pl2 never had very good gameplay, dunno who thought of makeing a second one

Well said, I think you might have meant PL1 that second time. Thanks for the hot tip.

note : the little red lines under words aren't just there for fun, though, they are a lot of fun.

I'm playing it through for the first time and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's a little weird, but it's fun, and as I recall...fun has something to do with games....I dunno....

I'm only about 4 levels or so in, but based on what I've seen so far I'd say it's at least as fun as TNT.

I fucking loved pl2, it's one of my favorite megawads of all time. I like it better than AV but not as much as kama sutra.

oh and the other thing about pl2 is its too hard. Not " ohh well you need to practice more...ooooh you must be patiant" NO! ITS TOO HARD! and thats that. glad we could clarify that.

wow, I know what i'm getting you for christmas.

A T-Shirt that says "I'm a quitter" in big letters.

there are different difficulty modes ya know.

Zetta said:

oh and the other thing about pl2 is its too hard. Not " ohh well you need to practice more...ooooh you must be patiant" NO! ITS TOO HARD! and thats that. glad we could clarify that.

Just stay with your little rechargey health FPS Halo games for babies and let the real men play the untarnished awesome that are things like PL2.

Some of us have been playing this game for almost 16 years. After playing the game for so long, we tend to no longer constantly bump into walls, stop to shoot, or move in one direction at a time. Harder is better, because the old hard shit just isn't hard any more.