Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueEagle

[Release 1.3] Unloved (GZdoom mapset)

Thank you very much for the feedback so far!

I will be working on those monsters-jump-out-of-walls-traps. It's a bit much sometimes I admit :)

The darkness in the maps is one of my bigger concerns. I want it to be really dark and claustrophobic, but everyone has a different gamma adjustment that they prefer in Doom. If more people find it too dark, I will try to adjust brightness further, but I don't want to break the overall atmosphere.

I've just uploaded beta1b, which is a hotfix for the map "Kinderzimmer", which unfortunately was unplayable in beta1.

Please keep feedback coming, it's highly appreciated ^^

I loved this beta, the story and mood are excellent. There is one point I would like to mention, as soon as I enter to map 02, my machine starts to go crazy and when it gets to the second row of cells, it overheats.

Granted, my machine is not precisely a new PC, but it can still handle 99.9% of the new wads.

This situation happens only on very rare occasions, normally when there is some special effect involving special lighting. If you are using special lighting in this area, I think it is not necessary here, and the curious thing is that in the other maps, the special lights were more obvious and my machine was able to handle them without problems.

Could there be something else in that map ?

I can't say that anything is different on this level. Maybe if you're using some additional wads or an older version of GZdoom it may cause the performance issue? There's technically nothing different from this map to any other in the mapset. Maybe some more experienced mapper here could take a look on this issue if it really causes serious problems to people.

If any Doom WAD ever needed a walkthrough, this was it. I'm completely and utterly stuck. I just got the red key in "Far Below" and explored the flooded area beyond the yellow bars until there were a bunch of other bars in my way, only half of which could I lower from my side. Where do I go now?

Very nice and atmospheric maps, by the way. I love them.

That looks REALLY amazing, I'm downlaoding it right now. Can't wait to play.
Just one question: Is Kinderzimmer an adopted "official" english expression or are you German? ;)

Map02: Starting area feels too orthogonal, cramped and blocky. More importantly movement is very restricted, which becomes a problem when backing away from the many monster closets you have added. I would widen some of the areas or remove any weird architecture that would impair movement in that first level. I know 'needs more detail' is a petty complaint, but there's a great deal of attention to texture work on the walls, but some of the ceilings are quite plain and uninteresting. Also, the 'glowing gore' has a really cool look about it, but seems to be lacking any distinct light source. Perhaps red lights on the ground or walls?

Mapo3: Just started this, so far, again, it seems pretty cramped and tightly packed. Again, in this layout the ceiling seems to lack any contour or detail, perhaps using slopes, and round orgainic details could make it feel "fleshier." I feel that if you were to use slopes to your advantage on this level, you could really pull that organic feel off a lot better. But otherwise it looks superb as is. In terms of gameplay, I'm playing this on HMP, so I'll provide some more feedback when I get further.

As far as gameplay goes, I have no major complaints so far

@Solarn: When you have found the key of this area, you have to go back to your house. There you should look for another portal to another area to find the next key.

@Fenriswolf: Actually I am German, yes :). Wasn't sure though if that word is adopted like Kindergarten. I didn't find a better sounding English word "childs room" or something didn't have the right tone I thought. But I might change the name for final version ;)

@Patrick: Thanks for the feedback so far! You're right about the blockyness of map02 and I might go over that again and redo it later. I agree that map03 would look a lot more organic and cooler if I would use slopes wisely on this one, but I must confess that I am no big fan of excessive usage of slopes in Doom maps. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how it looks, but I don't know yet.

Here are some screenshots from the fifth map "Kinderzimmer" for those who haven't played it.

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev18.JPG
This place is found inside a grave.

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev19.JPG
Are you imagining things? Are those giant toy figures?

The final areas of the mapset are coming along quite fine. If anyone else who downloaded and played the beta likes to give me some crits&comments, it's still time. I'm trying to finish the map-set within this week or the next.

(sorry for obvious bump)

I've completed a whole bunch of new areas, which means that now 5 of 6 keys are available. I got carried away a little with one map and it has become really big (11x11 squares at 1024).

Here are some more screenshots!

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev20.JPG
Is this the final door?

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev21.JPG
A new area of the house has opened - the attic.

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev22.JPG
Caged.

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev23.JPG
The garden.

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev24.JPG
Where did he go?

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev25.JPG
What a lovely doctor's practice.

A little progress update: I've completed a lot of work on the project, which means that right now all six keys are available. The last part of this mapset is already planned out and now I only have to map it ;)

There is also a title pic and new status bar.

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/titlepic.jpg
Title pic

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_dev26.JPG
A Baron in the corner...

I'm planning a pre-final release next week!

I have to admit - my screen shots could have looked a lot better than they did. My apologies for that. After playing around with some GZ settings, I've come up with a few tweaks here and there, fiddled about with the DOOMDEFs from Unloved and here is the result:

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_beaf1.jpg
The bedroom (before you could barely see any textures)

http://www.gungirl2.com/stuff/unloved_beaf2.jpg
The Living Room (before it was colorless and had not much impact - ignore the pistol hand^^)

Oh and make sure you check 'Use Shaders For Lights' also, if you have missed it like I have ^^

First final release is done and ready to be played! (check first post)

Crits & comments are very welcome :)

These look great! I am downloading now, expecting to enjoy myself! The atmosphere looks very impressive. Simply yummy!

Thanks guys :)

I've made a couple fixes and uploaded v1.2 today (updated first post).

[download link removed, see first post for link!]

Please give feedback if you liked or disliked my maps so I can make better ones in the future!

this is the most impressive thing Ive seen in a long time. the only thing that would make it better is doom64 monsters/guns and sounds, it would be so epic.

a bit too claustrofobic and dark, but it's a fun map. I really loved that skin thing you get to see from the back in your first post.

[EDIT]

Ignore the comment about darkness, my GZdoom settings were effed up. and again great map's.

Thanks for the response :)

Doom64Marine: I didn't want to include any new weapons or sounds, because I wanted it to be still a true Doom experience. But of course you can load it with any additional wad you like if you think that would be cooler ^^

This was a good dark atmospheric hub in a good way. My only compliant is that there were moments where some rooms felt too cramp to escape from hordes of monsters(both monster closets and spawning) and I ended up saving a LOT(this was just on HMP O_o). Still it was worth playing and you sure put a lot of effort on this wad.

Also I actually jump a bit when I heard a Revenant noise on the first map and turn out that there wasn't one -_-;

just played this through for the second time, i love it, its absolutely creepy.the end almost reminded me of Doom 3 'Hell'. Do you plan on making a sequel? i would very much like to take part in that if so.

Two words, fuckin brilliant! I made it through the second map on UV without any trouble, never even came close to dying. After entering the mirror at the end of Map02 behind the Revenant and returning to your bedroom through the bathroom, I am completely stuck and cannot locate the Red Key or any other exits or doors. A hint would be much appreciated as I don't want to cheat my way through it :P

The atmosphere is very good in the areas I have been able to get to. As others have said some of the areas are a bit cramped and difficult to move around in, but hell, makes it harder. Love the new textures, very disturbing.

So far I like it, aside from being stuck of course. Keep up the great work, truly inspirational. Oh and maybe switch out some of the demons with specters on UV. My 2 cents.

Go to the door that leads to the red/yellow door, near the outside grave, its downstairs and is the first door on your left, get the gear, and put it in the mechanism in the basement, than go to the door near the top left of the stairs after you go back up, and it should open, there is a part of the wall that has a bunch of faces, press use and go from there.

Ah, it seems that it glitched the first time through. The door in the room never actually opened up like it should have after you return after Map02. After starting over fresh and running through Map02 a second time it worked fine and I was able to progress.

Thanks also Doom64Marine, seems I hadn't even gotten to grave area you spoke of at the time.

You might want to look into a possible cause for the glitchy door as well BlueEagle, possible bug of sorts.

Ok, off to finish it up, I'm hooked :P

@Philnemba: Thanks for your feedback. Yes, a few areas are very small and seem cramped and this may seem like a silly excuse, but I wanted some areas feel too small and make the player uncomfortable with the situation. I hope it didn't decrease playability too much though.

@Doom64Marine: Glad you like it :). I have a few plans for a second episode of Unloved, but right now I have to finish another major project of mine in my free time before going back to make another Unloved episode. But yeah I would really like to!

@Karnage: I'm sorry, this glitch has already happened to me once or maybe two times during testing, but I thought it was my own fault. However, I've made a new version (1.3), that should fix that once and for all.

@Hell's Vendetta: This is a final release and no beta. But as with most final releases, there might still be some bugs in it, that's why I didn't upload to idgames yet.

Link to 1.3 (first post updated as well)

[download link removed, see first post for link!]

Having carved my way through the majority of Map03 on UV, I must say, damn! Map03 is miles harder, I gotta say I am not a fan of unavoidable monster closets and front to back teleport traps with zero warning. Even after dying several times and knowing when they where going to show up, several of them are completely unavoidable. Specifically the two Pinky's at the stairs. Kinda left a sour taste after getting caught 3 or 4 times there with only a shotty. As for the final area with the Yellow key, as far as I can tell utterly impossible on UV. Perhaps I missed a secret or something, but damn man. I had to IDDQD to beat it.

Overall Map03 wasn't my personal favorite so far, needs a bit of balancing on UV still. As for the theme, I like the atmosphere and flow of the level. Slopes might help give it a bit more organic feel as previously stated before, but ultimately it comes down to personal taste. I also recommend a bit more ammunition on the way down, specifically shells. Simply to many revenants to pop with a pistol, lol.

I have started Map04 and I gotta say I am really digging this level, very Silent Hill. Made me jump several times, then I died a horrible death at the hands of the new baddies here. So far I love it.

Damn long post, so I'll wrap it up. Great work again.