Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azureace

A Little project i am working on

Hey Folks I got a Little Proposition for ya,
I plan on making a Compiled List of the Levels on the Commercial Shovel ware Cds for Doom, Now i would like some help since i am missing quite a few,
What I have,
D!Zone Collectors Edition
D!zone 150
D!Zone 2
Deathmatch 2 for Doom 2
Demons Gate 666
Demons Gate Mega Collection
The Doom Construction Kit CD
Tricks of the Doom Gurus CD
Master levels of Doom 2 (namely for the Maximum Doom Files)
the Ultimate Add-on Collection for Doom/Doom 2
Doom Companion Edition CD
1001 nights of Doom.

Any one who has something not listed if you could try to give me a hand with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Bruce you willing to write up a list of the levels that are on that Disc? since that's the Aim of my Project?

azureace said:

Any one who has something not listed if you could try to give me a hand with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

<Takes a big breath>...

3D Game Alchemy
BooM 2 – Supplement CD
Cobra Doom Utilities
D-1000
D!Match
D!Zone 2 – 150 Levels
D!Zone 3
D!Zone Gold
Death Match (2 CD's)
Doom – Special Edition
DooM 1 & 2 Add-On Levels
Doom Add-Ons
DooM Explosion
DooM II Explosion
Doom Extras
Doom Heaven II
Doom I/II Collection
DooM Mania
DooM II Mania
DooM Unlimited
Enhancements
Over 1000 DooM Levels!
Shareware Medley – DooM
Supercharged Xpansion Pack
Supergames 2 – Doom
The Complete DooM Accessory Pack Vol. 3
The Complete DooM Accessory Pack Vol. 4
The DooM Hacker's CD
Time of Reckoning
Toolkit for DooM Vol. 1
Toolkit for DooM Vol. 3
Ultimate Add-On's – Tournament Edition
Virtual Reality CD-Rom
Wads of Wads
Xtra Shake

<exhales>

I can run off content lists as CSV files if that's any help.

Grey that would be Awesome. i mainly wanted to do it so we could find out which levels got overlapped in multiple discs (like UAC_DEAD) and to determine how many actual levels there are on a disc As well as compiling the levels that state they can be Freely distributed and get them on to new archive disks for new doom Players to play kind of a History of User Created levels.

And No i don't plan on making a profit off of this just sharing the marvels of Doom to my Game Design Class (which oddly enough about 3/4 of the class has never heard of Doom but they have heard of Quake and Unreal...)

Nearly fried myself making the list from Demons Gate Mega Collection

The more popular wads (like weeds) pop up everywhere, there's at least 45 copies and two versions of UAC_DEAD in my CD collection. I made a start on a similar project last year but with some 60k of wads to sort through I got bogged down after a while. Don't know if there's much point in compiling archive disks when almost all of the freely distributable stuff on those disks is already on-line in the idgames archives.

Hope I'm not killing your enthusiasm for this project. My file manager can spit out lists with names, sizes, timestamps and paths - will that do for a start? Counting and classifying the levels will mean running another utility and merging data, that's probably best done after the CD lists have been reconciled and merged.

Nope you didn't kill my Zeal Ghost I want to finish this project since it was started by my pop and I have a desire to spread the word by making this project complete as much as possible.

Now any help you can provide would be AWESOME

OK status update.

D!Zone (the 75 level floppy version)
D!Zone Collectors edition
D!Match
Demons Gate 666
Demons Gate Mega Collection have had their lists made and cross referenced...

Guys i know i am fallin behind on checking the stuff you sent me but i will get to it I PROMISE!

Just finished digging out all the CDs. Seeing you've already done D!Match, I'll drop that from my list and substitute Giga Games 2 - one I'd forgotten about. My search also turned up a copy of D!Zone Mac, another CD titled Deathday (which to be blunt is The Ultimate Add-On Collection under another name) and some old magazine CDs (2 from PC Zone) with sizeable selections of wads on them - any of those interest you?

Your Call Ghost. since you taking the time to do work on your own end I'll let you decide and please work at YOUR OWN pace I'm doing it between the time i am done grading classwork and before dinner

Deathmatch 2 for Doom 2
1001 nights of Doom
Doom Mania (supplied by Ghost)
Doom Explosion (also Supplied by ghost)
Doom Extras (ghost)
Doom Unlimited (Ghost)

As a note i am starting to see A few overlaps.
will do more as time permits

I was waiting for Doom Heaven to land in my letterbox before uploading another bunch of directory listings - now I've run out of excuses. :-)
Here's the latest batch...

CD Powerplay - Issue 3
D!Zone Mac
Doom Heaven
Level-ROM
PC Zone Explosive Disk - Dec 94
PC Zone - Apr 95

I'll PM a download link shortly.

OK DONE! Done with what i have been given so far and compiled all of it and am currently in the process of weeding out the duplicates and what not, but so far i am looking at 1 DVD's worth of the stuff

D!Zone has .txt files doesn't it? I have one of the D!Zones that also came with the Master levels and a pair of TCs.

This seems like a very worthwhile endeavor.

Would you consider generating checksums for each of the wads? That way people have a way to verify if their copy of the wad is corrupt. You could use RapidCRC to easily generate a list of file names and checksums for all the files on each disc.

sure when i am finished with the duplicate checks and rough Idclev jumping through the larger wads to verify that there as many levels as stated (found 4 so far that were not as big as they claimed 2 of which claimed they were 12 levels and they were actually 8 and 6) but yes i Will do so spare Perhaps I'll get mention maybe not,

oh, in my class one of my students found a converter that makes doom 2 wads in to quake level equivalents. now if there was one that did that in reverse (which i highly doubt) that would mean even MORE work because i would have to compile Quake levels in to the list as well.

Will update when I have finished more and still waiting for the rest of yours Ghost

A quicker way to count maps in wads is to open them in XWE and click on the "Maps" filter button.

I thought I'd PM'd a link, maybe it was just a dream - here you go.

azureace said:

thats news to me Grey you know anything about this?

D!Zone Gold has demo versions of "Hell to Pay" and "Perditions Gate". Can't recall seeing the Master Levels on any D!Zone CD - a blatant breach of copyright like that would be asking for trouble.

EDIT - if you don't mind DOS utilities Doom Detect will list the maps in entire ditectories of wads - so long as there's no more than 512 files in the directory.

Done and DONE! got the checksums finished and am just waiting for the next batch of listings from Ghost but everything on my end with what I have is Complete! (and all of it done with out a single drop of rum)

I have several old CD's I mail ordered from back in my youth. They have loads of amateur maps for Doom, Doom 2 and Heretic (maybe Hexen too). I never deduced whether or not they were all the same collection under different names because they've long since become incompatible with modern operating systems. I'm not even sure if this falls under the topic at hand.

Anyway, the CDs were called:

-Megadoom II
-Total Ruin
-Total Ruin II

I might actually be able to scan the covers of a few if I can find them.

I used to have a CD called Doom Fever which had wads and utils on it. Where I learned how to map using Deu. CD is long gone now tho.

OK I am FINISHED! as in Done the project is complete to MY understanding and is up to date including wad files added up to 1/14/2010.

In my Absence when I wasn't hunched over my computer making the list work (and scripting a executable for some of the source ports to have the list show up) I have been working on my Own little Wad Project that I started with my students (mainly me going over their work and pointing out minor errors we all make from time to time) and some (4) of my own levels this puppy has hit the 35 level mark, and my students are HIGHLY proud of the work they have done, save one who took inspiration from B.P.R.D.... but all in all when I get it thrown together I'll throw it out there for yall to see

doom scenari
doom II scenari
Boom 3 classic (no , isn't a boom-ports cd-rom wads compilation HEH).

And also a lot of stuff (1 dvd and 4 cds) full of 90s fps stuff for my personal use.