Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Double Impact (the project formerly known as Untitled Doom 1 Project)

Hi! I'm Ralphis. How we doin?

So, me and RottKing have started a new Doom 1 project where we're basically coop mapping. We each take turns building areas and changing things on the map until we get bored, then we send it back to the other. Right now, our maps match the basic style of Knee Deep in the Dead. Here's the story behind our wad:

"You're a mechanic working in a garage on [Planet]'s [Moon]. Then, all of a sudden some zombies appear and start shooting at you. Fortunately, you have a gun so you start killing them and you try and reach the rockets and escape the planet! Good Luck mechanic."

Here's some screenshots:

http://ralphis.unidoom.org/stuff/img/moon/moon1.png
http://ralphis.unidoom.org/stuff/img/moon/moon2.png
http://ralphis.unidoom.org/stuff/img/moon/moon3.png

This wad will be tweaked to respect all skill levels and also be cool for that coop jawn.

Ralphis said:

Hi! I'm Ralphis. How we doin?

So, me and RottKing have started a new Doom 1 project where we're basically coop mapping. We each take turns building areas and changing things on the map until we get bored, then we send it back to the other. Right now, our maps match the basic style of Knee Deep in the Dead. Here's the story behind our wad:

"You're a mechanic working in a garage on [Planet]'s [Moon]. Then, all of a sudden some zombies appear and start shooting at you. Fortunately, you have a gun so you start killing them and you try and reach the rockets and escape the planet! Good Luck mechanic."

[snip]

I like the story. You should edit to remove the air of obligatory and dumbness of the doom story that it has. Story reminds me a little bit of Commander Keen. So, yeah, take the story a little more seriously!

"You're a mechanic working in a garage on Jupiter's Europa. You are just about to give up on your zero-point energy machine when all of a sudden you hear horrifying groans. You look up in horror to see two zombies approaching and start shooting at you. You remove the pistol from your ankle harness and return fire. They die without too much trouble, but you're running out of time. You'll need to finish your zero-point energy machine soon if you are going to be able to get out of this god-foresaken place. It's a long way back Earth.... Good Luck mechanic."

keep the story like that, brackets of interchangability and all. That makes it so much more wonderful.

[Positive exclamation]! This sounds really [word for good]. I love your revealing screenshots. There aren't enough Doom 1 projects around these days. Keep up the [any word at all] work.

There are too many Doom 1 projects these days. I don't like fighting barons with the shotgun or chaingun, and everything else is too easy. You should do this for Doom 2.

But I do appreciate the bullet puff in screenshot 3.

Call the Doom police! I have it on good authority Ralphis and Rottking intend to SELL this E1 replacement for $30 USD, which as you know is the going rate for high end expansion packs for today's video games.

Better break out your wallets kiddies. You'll need 8mb of ram for this one.

Shaikoten said:
You'll need 8mb of ram for this one.

Aha, that explains the screen shots. They were testing it with 1 GB or so of RAM, which made the game run too fast, and kept crashing onto walls.

Needs more (better?) detailing.

But anyway if it has just Doom 1 monster it can be a bit boring, those enemies are just too easy to kill.

Talvi said:

But anyway if it has just Doom 1 monster it can be a bit boring, those enemies are just too easy to kill.

Man, way to be a negative nancy..

Talvi said:

Ya what essel said! We're not going for anything "modern" in design, just maybe an upgraded look from the original Doom levels.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Talvi said:

okay haha very funney now go back to playing cheogsh/stronghold/simplicity/fiskmaps/kdizd/whatever

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Drat. Foiled by Major again.

e1m3 is massive and pretty non-linear. I wonder what types of secrets you might find there!