Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Greensting

Doom2.org begging for money...what do you think?

I haven't posted here a lot, actually hardly at all, but I just had to post here for others to see and get their opinion. I don't think that it is anything other than a business decision for them to have their hands out since they "closed" their site. They have stopped offering the "Doom public" any services yet remain on thier domain name in the hopes that some people will throw money at them. They aren't offering the domain name, just asking that people do things their way and pay the way to have the files hosted the way they want. I would agree that since it is their material they should have a say in how its hosted. However, your site is either working or its not. What is the purgatory they are stuck in and asking for money to bail them out?
I almost thought the offer believable and actually considered it until I saw the setup fee. C'mon. There is no income potential owning a Doom web site. I do it for the love of the game, and I think the people who play Doom are the best community ever. I have paid-for hosting and operated web sites for Doom since 5-98. I have paid for other things to benefit Doom gaming online. I also use some free sites associated with my site, but I don't hit visitors with ads on my main page anymore. I do admit when I started getting a lot of hits that I thought, "Hey a-nickel-a-hit. So I ran an ad on the main page. One in a thousand clicked them. I didn't get reciprocal listings either. No matter. I took them down on the ones I could. It doesn't pay enough and it just frustrates visitors.
Doom websites are for most people a hobby. Me included.
Can you go pro with a game that is eight years old?

Bandwidth it expensive, how to you justify it? Love of the game. Dot ORG should still mean something. Don't tell me you picked Doom2.org for the hit potential...

My opinion, its wrong to ask for money at this juncture. A lot of people brought it to my attention about your closing. They have looked up to your site as one of the icons of the Doom Community. My opinion is that Doom2.org bow out gracefully like a lot of sites have and either donate material to those who can still serve, or take it with you. Don't ask for donations from those visitors who come there not to spend (or make) money, but to learn how to have more fun with Doom! Things in life aren't free, I know. But when you ask the Doom community to pay for Doom information? I say "NO!" This is only my opinion and no one asked me to post this. I welcome your opinions not on my posted one, but on Doom2.org's closing page.

i concur, however, i wanna say that the only reason the doom community is so good is because it is so MATURE, soon the quake community will follow

also, if your a 10-year old 1337 speaker isnt gonna play a relativley low tech game like doom now

I say we start a new forum that's password protected, and only the current members know the password to it. I think we could withstand a week before someone hacked in and spread the password around the net, or before someone just simple spammed it out in the general forum. Oh well, we're doomed.

Why will Doom 3 destroy the Doom community? Has RTCW destroyed the Wolf 3D community? No.

Why will Doom 3 destroy the Doom community?

I don't think you understand how many newbies will start comming here. Just go to the Half-Life chat for 5 minutes, see all that spam? all those homo's cybering in there? that's just a small piece of the cake.

There's still a wolfenstein community?

Yep, it seems extremely small at first (under 20 websites, nearly all of which are personal sites), but there's a lot of add-ons and stuff being made.

http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/ is a good start for anyone interested.

You should have seen the idiots that arrived when the Doom3 demo was released, hell...how do you think Esco arrived?

imo, the doom community isn't very gathered and strong but mature. Newbies are fine as long as they don't spam in here. Doom3..uh they better find their own place to live out and don't disturb us for those of you who dislike the old doom

I think that the Doom community is still one of the closest-knit online communities out there. Sure, occasionally people like Esco pop up, but for every Esco who detracts from the community, there's an Elbryan42 who adds something. In this case, Elby and Esco popped up at about the same time. Elbryan set up an awesome ftp, and esco... well, was just himself.

I miss the 2-posts-on-the-forums-a-day era of Doomworld, but we all, as Doomers, cling to the past.

The Doom community is, in my opinion, both strong AND mature.

p.s.: This is my first post in a LOOONG time. I'm baaa-aaack!

I miss the 2-posts-on-the-forums-a-day era of Doomworld, but we all, as Doomers, cling to the past.

There was never such a thing: I registered a week after the forums opened :P

Fodders: Um, yeah right! In case ya didn't know, I haven't even SEEN any of the demo's for Doom3. Why? Because I really couldn't give two shits about it, I'll see it when it comes out. If you remember some of my old posts, I pointed out dat I have been checking out doomworld since it opened, but I had NEVER posted here till about a year ago. In fact, dis be da first forum I have ever registered to. I ain't da type of person who like talkin on da net much; I would much rather go out an party, or talk in person, or at least over da phone.

Stops smokin whateva you is on, or better yet..... pass it to me! :P

I think that the Doom community is still one of the closest-knit online communities out there. Sure, occasionally people like Esco pop up, but for every Esco who detracts from the community, there's an Elbryan42 who adds something. In this case, Elby and Esco popped up at about the same time. Elbryan set up an awesome ftp, and esco... well, was just himself.

Um, yeah right.... and I am detracting from the community in WHAT manner exactly? Moron.

And what exactly do you mean by "people like Esco?" If you mean outspoken, honest peeps, who ain't gonna hide shit about the way they are.... then I guess about 75% of DW's population must be a problem too then, huh?

And I gots news for ya.... when mah dawg Elbryan42 first started setting up his FTP, me and Rubilacxe and a handful of others were da only peeps who were contributing shit to it. Most of ya'll peeps didn't give two shits about for da first few months. Give me a break, I was one of the few peeps who actually encouraged him, and gave him feedback when he asked for it, unlike most others.

In case yo ass also forgets, I was the FIRST person to ever come out with the complete set of Doom64 sounds, and they were of great quality, according to the feedback I got back on them (I thought they good, but not great at first, but I am picky as fuck). You, on the other hands, keep talking about releasing the Doom64 graphics, and have yet to do squat, or even update us on the status of your "work". You make it sound like I haven't ever contributed shit!

I smell something.... it smells like bullshit! Please shit in da toilet and not on da forums.

i concur, however, i wanna say that the only reason the doom community is so good is because it is so MATURE

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHA

*gasp*

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAA

i concur, however, i wanna say that the only reason the doom community is so good is because it is so MATURE

*gasp*

I agree with Ling. You call goatse links and flamewars mature? Go back to Shithead Arizona, fool.

Sure, I gave to the community, and I appreciate the love toward my site and ftp. But don't just forget about everyone who contributed to the ftp from the very beginning. Esco, Ralphis, Cacodemon Leader, Zeratul, Macvilewhore, King Elvis, Ralphis, Rubilacxe, and many others helped make the Doom Depot a success. Also thank the newer contributors like Mr. 8 and bigbadgangsta.

Heck, it was Esco's generosity, sending out his N64 Doom sounds thru email (with a slow modem) that got the generosity-bug in me to start an ftp, and soon the website.

That reminds me, a new version of the website is on the way, with updated versions of the various Doom stuff, a new version of my Toons list, and much more. (Maybe even a few surprises! We'll see...) I'll be finishing up the final touches when I finish school. Hopefully that'll be in less than 2 weeks!

I haven't even SEEN any of the demo's for Doom3. Why? Because I really couldn't give two shits about it, I'll see it when it comes out.

I agree completely. Who cares about a game until you're sure it's actually good. I never even glanced at RTCW until it came out. It made the impact of such a great game all the more sweeter. :)

Esco, Ralphis, Cacodemon Leader, Zeratul, Macvilewhore, King Elvis, Ralphis, Rubilacxe, and many others helped make the Doom Depot a success. Also thank the newer contributors like Mr. 8 and bigbadgangsta.

we have a ralphis lover here. ;)

Sure, I gave to the community, and I appreciate the love toward my site and ftp. But don't just forget about everyone who contributed to the ftp from the very beginning. Esco, Ralphis, Cacodemon Leader, Zeratul, Macvilewhore, King Elvis, Ralphis, Rubilacxe, and many others helped make the Doom Depot a success. Also thank the newer contributors like Mr. 8 and bigbadgangsta.

All these people deserve a round of aplause (sp)

Heck, it was Esco's generosity, sending out his N64 Doom sounds thru email (with a slow modem) that got the generosity-bug in me to start an ftp, and soon the website.

Esco rules ¦]

The Doom community is, in my opinion, both strong AND mature.

What???

p.s.: This is my first post in a LOOONG time. I'm baaa-aaack!

Hey, ain't you the guy who was once called Sirgalahadwizard? The one with the "experiment-with-the-logical-center-of-your-brain-before-a-zombie-eats-it-for-breakfeast" signature?

Doom3..uh they better find their own place to live out and don't disturb us for those of you who dislike the old doom

It's called Planet Doom.

Hey, ain't you the guy who was once called Sirgalahadwizard?

Nah, they're different people. Sir Galahadwizar (no D) drops in on Doom3 every month or so.

I say we start a new forum that's password protected, and only the current members know the password to it. I think we could withstand a week before someone hacked in and spread the password around the net, or before someone just simple spammed it out in the general forum. Oh well, we're doomed.

Heh, the Doom 3 forum's gonna be in for a rodgering, that's for sure. Zaldron better get the tissue's ot now... where is he, anyway?

goatse links and flamewars.

YOU tried to start a flamewar with me, and an IM war. And your homepage points to a direct parody of the g***se site.

I rest my case. bigbadgangbanga. ;>

*gasp*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*ERK!*

*WHUMP*
/me dies laughing

Esco

English is not my mother tongue and I fully understand Esco's posts now. I think he even helped me improve my english... plus he always showed a lot of interest in DOOM unlike a lot of people that actually keep on complaining about him. 'nuf said.

mature

Unlike Ling, I think I would agree on that... except it feels strange to call 'mature' a community that is built on a typically un-mature media (the internet). My $0.02 tho.

I don't think you understand how many newbies will start comming here.

...to get their souls devoured...

can you imagine what post hell will be like?

I don't think you understand how many newbies will start comming here.

...to get their souls devoured...

can you imagine what post hell will be like?

yes.

I have this image of newbies, having been removed from the forums, wrapped around a caramalised onion, baked, marinated with Mac's coff33, esco's w33d, laminated with DoomBoy's stup1d17y, sprinkled with maybe a little fennel and oregano, doused in Linguica's raw power then set alight by Lüt with a power-crazed grin on his face, as Zaldron, dan and Lament amongst others cheer, and Moses' MoOoSe watches on, tied up and helpless, fighting back the tears from his furry long nose. :)

In other words, when the newbies are finished with it, it'll be a total and complete fucking mess.

I'm betting topiccount when the newbiewhores are finally vanquished will be 1000.