Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadowman

Cheogsh 2 - megawad for GZDoom

I tried playing this. But the second (Map02) map was more or less unplayable with tons of stuff constantly getting in your way. It was posible to progress. But it wasn't fun in any way for me.

kristus said:

I tried playing this. But the second (Map02) map was more or less unplayable with tons of stuff constantly getting in your way. It was posible to progress. But it wasn't fun in any way for me.

Ditto. it felt like a standard "zdoom" wad with beastiary monsters, some ripped textures, lots of style, and no substance, really.

Guys, come on! This wad is not bad as you think. And more than that, have you seen so many "standard wads for ZDoom" made in this level of quality? At least - C2 is in some ways much better than C1: yeah, I know that Temple of Seth may be annoying for somebody, but please, try to beat it :) Then you will probably see Cheogsh 2's beauty. And seeing what I came through - that was brilliant work, made by Shadowman & Guest.

Guest said:

Not of course. There is a secret teleport to it.

Heh, found it. I got to the other side, but then there was no ammo to take down more than one or two of the obsidian statues. I decided to iddqd through to the end since the final boss is incredibly cheap too.

Spoiler

Can you even kill the darkness it spawns? I know there're plenty of rockets but only 2 soulspheres means you can never take more than 2 direct passes of the darkness, and although I've seen some pretty crazy demos, this seems a once in s decade feat.

Although I basically finished it, I'll have to agree with kristus for the most part, there were a TON of extremely frustrating moments, usually caused by beastiary monsters and switch hunts that lasted over 10 minutes each, frequently making me stop the game for an hour and surf the net. And although there is somewhat of a decent (although generic) story, you should have someone proofread your translator, the cutscene dialog uses a painful amount of incorrect grammar.

Despite these setbacks, there are some really well done parts, like some of the temple, all of the new city of the damned, and quite a bit of the upper and lower underdark. If you make another set of maps like these please, PLEASE look at those areas to build on, they were actually fun to play when I wasn't getting raped by beastiary monsters.

Strange - in arch-viles' rooms, before entering map 07, there is enough ammo to kill black goats.
Thank you all very much for your Cheogsh 2 reviews. Of course, first of all, this wad is intended for ZDoom fans and "new-school" players, so it is very likely that vanilla-doomers won't be pleased with Cheogsh 2. And as for the set of monsters - oppositely, I consider that this thing is my best find - from of all variety, which has generated "ZDoom community", I was able to make a complete set of monsters, which is similar to Doom monsters. Though, of course, some doomers probably would prefer to see standard imps and demons, but I can't even imagine Cheogsh without its monsters. Because this is what it is.

Excellent atmosphere, bad gameplay. I had trouble seeing things in this, and I often had to give myself light googles with idspod. I haven't played too far into it, so I cannot say about the later maps. You focused greatly on the atmosphere, while you did not focus as much on the gameplay aspects.

I'm not sure if my computer isn't powerful enough, but I had a lot of slowdown. It wasn't bad at first but when I entered the North Gate it became a nightmare.

That aside the other stuff has probably been covered. Long switch hunts, frustrating battles, bad grammar in the text, etc. And you uh, might want to get some better sound clips for your screaming marines. Especially if they're yelling every other second...

I honestly didn't have too many problems with MAP02. I thought it was decently easy compared to some of the massive switch hunts that come later on in .

Demo recording of map 03, by skepticist. Must be seen ONLY in GZDoom 1-2-00, and while watching it - please make sure that programs like screensaver and etc., are turned off, that de-sync will not appear. Although this wad-file wasn't meant to record any demos for it, it's possible to finish some levels from the beginning with pistol. Also, this demo shows that there is nothing difficult in map 03, if player is skilled. The only minus - this is not MAX demo.

http://www.darkwatcher.narod.ru/Cheogsh2/ch2-03-skp.lmp

What's the use of that switch in the Underdark Upper Mines? I have hit it, but nothing seems to happen! I am using ST 0.98a.

It creates few semitranslucent soaring pads so you can jump to the near-at-the-hand balcony.

I got stuck again. I didn't find anything interesting after those barely visible pads, so I went back to the Temple of Seth, killed two archies and the resurrected monsters, then I really have no idea where to go. Can't wait for a complete Cheogsh 2 walkthrough!

When I got to the room in the mines where I get the flask with the blood, I found several "!" 's (They can also be seen for the first time although it is only for a very short moment when you get into the teleporter from the map 01 to map 02). And once you have the flask with the blood, in several more places you find the "!"'s. I suppose that they belong to a missing monster ?

Also, again with the blood of the unnamed, when you return to the temple of Seth and you are supposed to spill it over the main altar, there was no way I could do that, no matter what I do, it always displayed the message "Come closer to the altar", I even cheated to place my player ON the altar itself and it still displayed the same message. So where am I supposed to place my player ?

Out of desperation, I typed "PUKE 51" and only then I was able to continue. I guess that was what it is supposed to happen ?

Anyway, I never found the cacototem and what the hell are the soul stones for ?

Other than those small details, this is one of the best wads.

lzvk25 said:

When I got to the room in the mines where I get the flask with the blood, I found several "!" 's (They can also be seen for the first time although it is only for a very short moment when you get into the teleporter from the map 01 to map 02). And once you have the flask with the blood, in several more places you find the "!"'s. I suppose that they belong to a missing monster ?

Also, again with the blood of the unnamed, when you return to the temple of Seth and you are supposed to spill it over the main altar, there was no way I could do that, no matter what I do, it always displayed the message "Come closer to the altar", I even cheated to place my player ON the altar itself and it still displayed the same message. So where am I supposed to place my player ?

Out of desperation, I typed "PUKE 51" and only then I was able to continue. I guess that was what it is supposed to happen ?

Anyway, I never found the cacototem and what the hell are the soul stones for ?

Other than those small details, this is one of the best wads.

Well, you have to play in OpenGL mode dude, or you won't be able to see 3D floors and stuff.

lzvk25 said:

When I got to the room in the mines where I get the flask with the blood, I found several "!" 's

Do you play this wad in skulltag? In gzdoom 1-2-00? 1-2-01, 1-3-14 there are no bugs like these. In skulltag Cheogsh 2 wasn't tested.

After returning to the map 03 with blue gem go to the north corridor (one of the switches in the arch-vile's rooms in the Library opens a grate to the north passage) and go down - to the map 04.

Anonymous3000 said:

Well, you have to play in OpenGL mode dude, or you won't be able to see 3D floors and stuff.

I am playing with OpenGL.

Shadowman said:

Do you play this wad in skulltag? In gzdoom 1-2-00? 1-2-01, 1-3-14 there are no bugs like these. In skulltag Cheogsh 2 wasn't tested.

After returning to the map 03 with blue gem go to the north corridor (one of the switches in the arch-vile's rooms in the Library opens a grate to the north passage) and go down - to the map 04.

I used GZDoom 1-3-13, which afaik is the latest one.

Sorry, I didn't found any blue gem nor any indication that I had to find one, however I found those switches, but how does that solve the issue with the blood and the altar ?

lzvk25 said:

Come to the altar as close as possible and touch it (the place of red skull key!!! look at the Fresco of Demon in this moment) - the blood of the unnamed spills automatically.

I'm stuck at a certain spot:
I've been to the Underdark Upper and lower mines. There's still a fairly large amount of the lower mines I haven't reached yet because it seems inaccessible from the part of the map I am. Are there more than 1 entrance to the lower mines?

For the upper mines, I crossed the translucent platforms, hit a switch and the teleporter in there led back to the beginning. I noticed the other teleporter taking me to the top of the tower. The second bridge to the other part of the map hasn't risen yet.

That second bridge rises after you go through new city of the damned if I remember right. That's also pretty much where you need to go at this point I think. Do you have the second power gem? You should have it if you can get back to map3.

Yes, I recall picking up 2 power gems.

I actually went back and entered the New City of the Damned, but it seemed like access was blocked off at the start (I was tired I guess, heh).

Besides this, I don't mind the spoiler, is there supposed to be initially an inaccessible part to the lower mines?

Yeah, MAP02 chased me away pretty much instantly. Trying to navigate a mazey, dark and extremely obscured environment while getting nailed by invisible hitscanners and that Soul Harvester monster's attacks is just tedious. You can't just charge into the middle of the fray without suffering a lot of damage, but you also can't slowly approach and secure the area - a gameplay style I usually enjoy - because the Soul Harvester's presence makes playing the map a huge drag. Really, I don't understand how the Soul Harvester could ever add gameplay value to a map. Because of their projectiles' ridiculously tight turning radius, every single time that one of them fires you basically have no choice but to run away, hide behind a corner somewhere, and wait for the ball to fizzle. What fun.

J-selva said:

Yes, I recall picking up 2 power gems.

I actually went back and entered the New City of the Damned, but it seemed like access was blocked off at the start (I was tired I guess, heh).

Put the blue gem on the pedestal and than press the lever - the bridge will arise.

J-selva said:

Besides this, I don't mind the spoiler, is there supposed to be initially an inaccessible part to the lower mines?

Yes, you will get there after getting through New City of Damned.

2Creaphis
Soul Harvesters aren't that hard, as they may be. It is quite difficult playing, when entering the village, but, if you will remove Soul Harversters first from roofs, it will be much easier to navigate on map. And yes, they aren't like dumb imps, who are shooting their fireballs always on a direct line between you and them.

Aw, now I'm stuck at the New City of the Damned. I remember the most recent thing I did was open up the East pass or something like that. I don't know where to go or what to do. There's like a door that doesn't open and a wall, if I hit space on it, it sounds like a lift is lowering, but it's probably on the other side.

Also, there seems to be a switch on a wall, if I approach it, I get "teleported" to a nearby corner.

Somehow, if you keep going through the teleport lines, you end up on the edge of the far one. Just walk back and you won't teleport and you're through.

Shadowman said:

2Creaphis
Soul Harvesters aren't that hard, as they may be.

I didn't say they were hard. I said that they're boring to fight. This is worse.

Oh, I see, yes. Thanks for that.

Here's some questions about the lower mines:

-There's a switch which, when you press it, it says "no effect". I saw no use for this. What's it for?

-There appears to be a guy calling for help behind a small wall or something. It looks like a secret area, but I don't know how to access it...