Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cjwright79

Animasse.wad - COMPLETE

Looks like barely more than a layout of what you're going to do ... the bit before the marble is kinda interesting but you've still got a lot of work to do on it. As much as you may want to post something after a good day of working on it, having a relatively complete room to post about is much more interesting than some basic layouts ;)

Animasse updated.

- No more zip file, just the wad
- Warm up area expunged. It got old fast
- Difficulty cranked up
- The idea now is to get the red key out of the fortification and get away. Try to kill everything and then get it? -- good luck with that!
- Still not much overall purpose the wad. It's fun for a moment but if you have discriminating tastes give this a pass for now.

So uh ... you do know the exit can be easily reached in under a minute? I was kinda surprised it was just there, behind the start, without any requirements to get to it. Sure there's a cyb next to it and some demons will sort of block you, but they don't block the whole thing well and if a chaingunner gets in there, 1 shot with a shotty and you've got a hole to go through. I'm kinda tired so I didn't go through the rest of the level, but it looks about as it was before. Require getting a key to get in the exit structure, since a switch at the far end of the level would be counter-intuitive. Right now it's just running.

It is fixed. I announced this on another thread but have had zero feedback in two days. I think I'll just stick with the one wad, one thread routine.

Anyway, please advise me of any issues before I put this bad boy on the archive. Thanks.

Cjwright79 said:

Animasse.wad is now completed and ready to go until I learn otherwise.

Two factoids: it's largely compatible with pacifism, and I beat it in 4:04 on UV. Don't think you can shave much off that.

I'll see your 4:04 and raise you 2:02. (Recorded with PrBoom+ 2.5.0.5)

I get the impression that you're not supposed to be able to run past all those deaf monsters to the red key.

You seem to like abstract maps. A problem that I see is that the level has huge open areas with a lot of nothing in them, particularly the area with the Spider Masterminds. It's not bad, it's just that it's boring. And even though the map is abstract, that's no excuse for sloppy texture alignment. But then again I'm a perfectionist.

I suggest working on it a little more before declaring it finished.

U.O.D. said:

I'll see your 4:04 and raise you 2:02. (Recorded with PrBoom+ 2.5.0.5)

I get the impression that you're not supposed to be able to run past all those deaf monsters to the red key.

You seem to like abstract maps. A problem that I see is that the level has huge open areas with a lot of nothing in them, particularly the area with the Spider Masterminds. It's not bad, it's just that it's boring. And even though the map is abstract, that's no excuse for sloppy texture alignment. But then again I'm a perfectionist.

I suggest working on it a little more before declaring it finished.

How do I load up the demo in PRBoom+?

And the Spider Masterminds are supposed to be so scary that you don't even notice how little work has gone into that area. :)

The same way you would load a demo with any sourceport.

Command-line:
<source port directory> -iwad <iwad name> -file <wad name> -playdemo <demo name>

Or even easier, use a sourceport launcher. (I recommend ZDL)

After setting up your iwad and sourceport configurations add <wad name> to the external files list, type -playdemo <demo name> in the command-line box and click launch.

Thanks U.O.D. Impressive run, and I'll fix that up shortly. Getting the red key from behind I mean. Also I think that Cyberdemon needs to be tougher to get past.

I just played through the latest version, and I like it. It's 1994-ish, but not in a bad way - there's a simple, natural aesthetic of some early maps that this matches well. Also, sometimes I find non-linearity daunting but this was quite pleasant to explore.

This is pretty rad.

I did an iddqd speedrun on the final version in 2:01, though if playing seriously I'd need more time to get the BFG and a bit of luck to survive the Cyberdemon.

2:30-2:45 should be possible.

Thanks guys.

Ok so I checked out the reception so far from the /newstuff page, and some guy said he 'jumped' up onto the exit platform. Is the a version of Doom that lets you do this?

ZDoom, probably some others. If you specified your map as Boom-compatible then that implies no jumping, as this is not something available in Boom. Reviewer is a cheater :P

2:10:23 with the latest version with prboom plus 2.5.0.5. Not as nice a time as U.O.D.s, but idk what's different between the 2 versions. There were a few spots I got snagged on and a brain fart at the last spider mastermind, could probably get under 2 minutes if I didn't snag on anything and was thinking straight. The most annoying part was getting past the hell knight and chaingunner to the cave ... that little slip of a platform is easy to fall off -.-

Good work AB, that bit with the Hell Knight and Chaingunner was perfect. I love how he dies from the Hell Knight's shot just as you get there :)

I was grabbing the red key then backtracking to the BFG, other monsters kept getting stuck on the lift and trapping me down there with the Archviles, though your route is probably faster and looks cleaner.

I did a UVmax run just for the fun of it. Clocked in at 11:46. Had to rely on a lot of infighting plus it probably has a million mistakes (like me continually switching the SSG when it had no ammo). Props to ArmouredBlood for showing that sequence break with the Hellknight platform. I don't think of stuff like that. Don't know if you want to fix that or not, CJ.

Any complaints I have about the map boil down to personal taste at this point. The map works in all respects. Nice work.

Thanks SJ. As far as routes go, I was going a little off what I remembered from the original release (half the monsters placed and some of the later marble stuff not there yet) and just running around. That demo is only like run 6,7, or 8, so no real route planning. And I didn't plan the chaingunner killing the hell knight, it just kind of happened ;)

@ U.O.D. : ya you had some mistakes, but mostly I just disagree with using infighting soooo much, I would never of held off so long on shooting some of them. Also how you used the bfg, it seemed a lot more like randomly finding you have no other ammo or there's a single tough enemy to kill, versus finding a large group of monsters to pulverize to save ammo for later. It is pretty low-ammo to kill everything though, a berserk pack might've been nice to have in case the player runs out of ammo. But that opens it up for tyson runs >;)

Idk, the gameplay seems finished to me, no point in touching up details if the gameplay has been picked apart.

EDIT: Tried maxing myself, and you were right to infight so much, there's sooo little ammo my style of play is nigh impossible so use -.-

ArmouredBlood said:ya you had some mistakes, but mostly I just disagree with using infighting soooo much, I would never of held off so long on shooting some of them. Also how you used the bfg, it seemed a lot more like randomly finding you have no other ammo or there's a single tough enemy to kill, versus finding a large group of monsters to pulverize to save ammo for later. It is pretty low-ammo to kill everything though, a berserk pack might've been nice to have in case the player runs out of ammo. But that opens it up for tyson runs >;)

Idk, the gameplay seems finished to me, no point in touching up details if the gameplay has been picked apart.

EDIT: Tried maxing myself, and you were right to infight so much, there's sooo little ammo my style of play is nigh impossible so use -.- [/B]

I actually like to cause lots of infighting as opposed to shooting everything dead (unless of course there's enough BFG ammo to nuke everything). Watching monsters fight is fun, and you can blast the winner in the head afterwords. I was a little preoccupied with saving enough cells for the Cyberdemon and I forgot to save it for the Masterminds. That one by the red key tunnel almost got me. I don't know why I thought it wouldn't get line of sight to me. :S

I like the "sequence break" with the Hell Knight and the Chaingunner. That's one of those "easier said than done" things you either need to be incredibly lucky or incredibly skilled to pull off, and there are big rewards for having done so.

There is enough cover, or at least enough health, that the level can both be speedrun or worked through methodically with infighting. I think it's actually balanced really well.