Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Random redirects to other sites

I have never ever had any trouble with spyware or malware or whatever, BUT I have been redirected to some bogus spyware-scanning site a couple of times lately, exclusively from Doomworld.

fraggle said:

It's not hard to see how people who are only partially computer literate could be taken in by things like this.

Probably the same kind of people that don't read the small print on the back of packaging/on contracts/etc. or who think that 3-card monte is actually a winnable game.

I've been getting the exact same problem, gettign redirected from Doomworld. It's not happening from any other website on the entire internet. I could browse other frorums and such for hours and nothing will happen but about 5 times in the past few days I have been redirected to the bingo.williamhill thing and just now I was redirectedted to one of those bogus antispyware things where you get a popup saying something along the lines of 'spyware detected, let webantispybot check your system for spyware?
[yes] [no]
I tried Alt F4 out of it but ot wouldnt leave so I opened task manager and ended the process which got rid of it after it reappeared again once, didnt on the second time i ended its process.
I'm now running a virus scan and hoping thatif anything did manage to make its way in then it will be detectable. I don't want to have to go through the pain in the arse of doing a fresh install of windows.

I am becomeing increasingly convinced that it is Doomworld and not our computers that is the root casuse of the problem as it seems to be a little to frequent. Is there some similarity betweenn the users who have been experienceing this? are we all from the uk or running the same antivirus or anything like that? I am running AVG 9.0.

If you've made the all-important addition to your hosts file (see spoiler) try deleting your cookies and empty the browser cache. I'd also suggest visiting Adobe's Flash Player: Settings Manager - starting with the Website Storage Settings panel where you can delete any sites you don't recognise and consider harmless, then work your way through the other settings tabs. If that doesn't cut down on browser re-directs you might have some malware hiding in System Restore.

Spoiler

mediamgr.ugo.com 127.0.0.1