Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

According to issue 200 of GameInformer...

40oz said:

GTA 4 was so bad. I don't understand how the general public can't admit that.

Hype can do much to repair the image of something with the public, as some people confuse "hype" with "good".

I liked GTAIV. It wasn't the best in the series so far, but I liked it. IMO the thing that really killed it was the retarded "dating" system. I would have liked more customization too; it was kind of a letdown after being able to do so much in San Andreas.

Meh, biased mass media journalists who treat writing about things I enjoy as a job more than a passion get something wrong. This is hardly a change from the norm. If you think this is bad, you should see some of the album reviews Sputnikmusic cranks out!

Nowhere, nothing and nobody has the same tastes I do, I learnt to stop getting annoyed at this and just hate everything a long time ago.

Issue 1 of JamieInformer's List Of Games Worth Playing
- Doom

The End.

GTA 4 is the only one in the series I've ever completed. It could mean that its been dumbed downed enough for me to win it, or it actually was an enjoyable game. Prolly both.

GTA 4 is a step backwards in the development of the series. Way too limited in the side mission department and almost every other gameplay element that I got used to playing 3-VC-SA was bastardized in one way or another. The story missions are so dumbed down they are basically the same mission over and over again, except for the only 2 somewhat memorable ones (shooting down the chopper with Jacob and kidnapping the mob bosses daughter). The races can be won driving with your eyes closed. The most fun I had was watching the comedy shows in the game (yes the non-interactive animations were the most fun). I could go on.

Just finished doing SA 100% last week. I can see myself doing it again in a year or two. GTA4 OTOH got me an effortless 95% on the first playthrough (I didn't give enough of a shit to bother with killing the pigeons and doing the stunt jumps that made up the missing 5%). Goes to show how many hidden elements the game has (i.e. none). I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

Whoa, this started an interesting argument. Could (should) have seen that coming.

It's some stupid list made by some stupid magazine. Don't read so much into it other than that Doom got some good recognition (whether it was good enough or not), and that a vast majority of the games on the list were worthy at least of being included, whether they deserved the particular spot they "earned."

For what it's worth, the way I interpret the list--and most "top" lists for that matter--is based not on how good the placements were, but their historical value and overall influence on the current shape of the industry.

Doom was unarguably the archetype that paved the way for the first person shooter genre and 3D design; but even I, who has played Doom more than every other game combined 10 fold over the past 13 years, wouldn't consider it worthy, in terms of its influence, of a #1 spot. Even if half of all the games that come out today are shooters anymore.

I consider Zelda and Super Mario Bros. fairly deserving of the top spots, because they set standards that are still greatly followed today. Zelda itself could be considered hugely influential when one considers the elements of action/fighting, adventure, role-playing and story that initiated similar trends that continue today. The game might not have been the most fun or the best, and personally I've never gotten into any of the Zelda franchise, but I think that's fairly monumental. And likewise, Super Mario Bros. set the standards for sidescrolling and platformers--you get the idea.

GTAIII could arguably be seen as (one of) the most important trendsetter for sandbox/free-roaming gameplay that has recently become more and more popular, and it too has had a considerable impact on third-person shooters. I'm not sure it deserves a spot above so many other earlier titles, but it's there nonetheless.

I would certainly argue that HL and HL2's spots should be switched--but HL2 is certainly tremendous when it comes down to the fact that it put a major spin on how story and character development are weaved into a game and gameplay that several new titles owe influence to, and above all it created a very involved environment in terms of design. HL was certainly more revolutionary, and probably does deserve that higher spot, but alas.

Of course, by my argument, this list is far from perfect. But it's just a list. Personally, if any game should get #1 for influence it's probably Pong. But that owes its inception to previous attempts at interactivity, so where do you stop? No list will ever be perfect and they can be interpreted so many damn ways nobody will be entirely satisfied anyway.

TL;DR : It's a decent enough list for the games that are included, and if you don't agree with it (I don't entirely at all either) who gives a fuck.

^Truth, Its impossible to agree with the placing of 200 titles. I personally gave it a read because I was more interested in what was on the list (or reasoning when it was a title I enjoyed) then what position they were

On GTA IV:

I couldn't wait to get it, and wished i had it for ages, watched loads of Youtube videos etc etc. Then my brother got a 360 and i finally bought it. I've played 2 missions and done 4 "dates" (honestly, the dating SIDE MISSION should be a SIDE MISSION and not happen more than the real missions, being a SIDE MISSION). The only thing i liked about it was the car damage.

Hmm, might re-install Vice City PC version sometime soon, and play a game that's actually fun.

deathbringer said:

Hmm, might re-install San Andreas PC version sometime soon, and play a game that's actually fun.

Fixed!

Heh, it's alright but if you ask me there's such a thing as too big. Also it takes a while to unlock the other areas while you sod about doing boring missions like "drive to the takeaway". Once it is all unlocked i tended to fly everywhere and then parachute onto my destination, which just didn't seem as fun.