Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Would there be a need for a Doom .wad idea generator?

I have seen the one at WIP, but it is very old and it wasn't originally meant for Doom. So I was tinkering around today and made the basis of an idea generator. It needs work, but I was wondering, is there even a need for a Doom idea generator?

This would be interesting if all the ideas that it suggested were relatively original. The community as a whole is already quite prolific in the production of hell, tech and gothic maps so we don't really need to tell mappers to make more of those.

Yeah, I guess with OBLIGE we already have the ultimate map generator, making idea generators completely obsolete. It may be more beneficial to the community to automate some other process that we're still forced to perform by hand. How about a random review generator?

This map is ugly and
this map is overdetailed.

This map has gameplay that is good and
above-average.

This map has too much shotgun ammo and
not enough health and
too much rocket ammo and
not enough cell and
too much health.

The map breaks Legacy
because the mapper needs to add impassible lines
because the map does not work in ZDoom.

This would be less of a "make a hell map" and more of, "you have just come off (an elevator / a spaceship / a hole in the ceiling) into hell, your objective is to (bait a cyberdemon under a smasher armed only with a pistol / flip three switches to return power to the doors / find X number of marines). This part of hell is known for its swarms of (barons / imps / zombies) and while not every foe will be from the swarm, they have been known to (capture / sacrifice / eat / smash / torture / live harmoniously) everything else."

Also...

"You enter a (pitch black / dark / light) room and will be forced to (flip a switch / stand on a platform / survive) to exit. Beware of (walking traps / acid traps / crushers / angry monsters / sleepy monsters with their backs turned)."

I am open to any other ideas as well :-)

I remember Oblige, but I have not tried it in years. I remember the levels not being good. However, if Oblige has improved then my idea is obsolete.

edit:
I have just now started up Oblige, and yes it is far far better than I remember it. Maybe it was a similar program that I had found years ago and not Oblige. Anyway, its good.

Creaphis said:

How about a random review generator?

Hehe, funny thing is I actually attempted this. I downloaded a whole bunch of newstuffs to compare and look for patterns. But there isn't much in common between them, they are very dependent on the wad being reviewed.

Come it think of it, it might work better if Oblige "reviewed" the maps that it spits out. I'm LOLing already :-)

geo said:

I have seen the one at WIP, but it is very old and it wasn't originally meant for Doom. So I was tinkering around today and made the basis of an idea generator. It needs work, but I was wondering, is there even a need for a Doom idea generator?

You realize that the idea generator on WIP is a joke? And what makes you think it wasn't originally meant for Doom?

It says that it was for Counterstrike. Plus the fact that it has missions.

andrewj said:

Hehe, funny thing is I actually attempted this. I downloaded a whole bunch of newstuffs to compare and look for patterns. But there isn't much in common between them, they are very dependent on the wad being reviewed.

Sounds like a job for Google.

andrewj said:

Come it think of it, it might work better if Oblige "reviewed" the maps that it spits out. I'm LOLing already :-)

Last but not least - script some abuse-bots to deride the reviews when they hit T/nC.

Years ago i made a web page that randomly generated doom wad names base on a randomish selection of words taken from existing wad names in the archives. Might have the ASP code around here somewhere (rummage...)

EDIT: Ressurected: http://cyclomedia.co.uk/doom/WadNameGenerator.asp

that's what happens when you never throw anything away and always copy all your old crap to your new hard disks...

Maybe I will work on the review generator instead. Any ideas to make it quirky enough to be funny to read?

arrrgh said:

A madlib-style newstuff review generator would be funny.

geo said:

Maybe I will work on the review generator instead. Any ideas to make it quirky enough to be funny to read?

Do it.

cycloid said:

SEWERS FROM BENEATH <- ?
VILE STATION OF SATAN <- heh
ALTAR OF THE ABANDONED LIBRARY <- I am so making one of those.

And I agree with abyssalstudios. Adding in quotes from the doom comic would NOT make it funny though ... we get enough of that from maes ;) Maybe watch some LPs on youtube? There's some funny quotes you can use (darkmindedsith's RECAP!s and nintendocaprisun's 'in the bathroom' and 'get some more toilet paper' are randomly funny. And what would be my sig quote if I ever used it would be interesting if you could fit it into a review).

EDIT: ENTER THE LIBRARY <- HAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHAAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAH

I started making the random review generator. It spits out 2 sentences, but I have it programmed not to contradict or repeat itself. So you will not see, "This map is terrible and terrible to boot. It was real fun to play all the way through."

http://fav.me/d2dxqco

It is only a start, tell me what you think. Any suggestions or quirky things to add, I will add them :-)

geo said:

I have it programmed not to contradict or repeat itself.

First review I got: "This map is beautiful and ugly. It was a real chore to kill my way through all of it."

You are correct. I just uploaded a fix to that. I did bad / good.

This map is a little too immaculate and good. It was a major chore to travel through most of the way.

Too immaculate and good would indicate a good thing. The next sentence is fine :D