Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Would there be a need for a Doom .wad idea generator?

Grammar Nazi alert!

This map is uniquely good and too ugly.
This map is ugly and a little too bad.
This map is pretty immaculate and pretty horrible.
This map is a little too immaculate and uniquely under detailed.

Some of those phrases simply don't work.

Don't forget to include the classics - "DOES NOT WORK IN INTENDED SOURCE PORT", "Shit." and "Utter shit.". :-)

Ninja Edit - this one's obviously a newbie's ZDoom map.

This map is bad and over detailed. It was a real test of patience to play through all of it.

andrewj said:

Let it out, you know you want to.

There's a Southpark joke that Family Guy jokes are nothing but 3 random things drawn from a hat and thrown together. Like a random idea generator.

Edit:

And I sent a PM to the grammar nazi to see how things could still work.

Edit:

V.3 is up and it is beefier, involving source ports. What would make the map "better." Also now it will specify why the player only got halfway or most of the way through. Fixed the "detailed" and prevent there from being double detailed.

Example:

This map is a little too over detailed and strangely bad. It was a major chore to get through most of the way until getting slaughtered by an exploding barrel.Works well for intended Legacy source port, but nothing else. I have also complied with the grammar nazi. :-)

This map would be a lot more enjoyable if there were a lot more arachnatrons.

This map would be less enjoyable if there were more spider masterminds.

I think all /newstuff reviews should have this sentence at the end.

This is pretty cool though, it's a neat alternative to the idea generator, maybe a speedmapping session that's theme is to live up to the generated review?

"This map is under detailed in some areas and yet under detailed in other areas. It was a real test of sanity to trek through most of the way until by my mom.Does not work for intended Vanilla DOOM source port.

This map would not be as enjoyable if it was not for the amount of specters to scare me."

yh the grammar still aint quite perfect. under detailed yet under deatiled?

is a lot better though.

A common problem I see with random sentence generation that are not based on markov chains, is that the grammar and overall output tends to be really static. I would suggest a couple things here:

1. Randomly generate some basic variables that depict the overall tone of the review about different aspects of the subject. For example, have a variable that holds whether or not the ammo quantity was sufficient or not, and generate a sentence based on that variable, if applicable. So if ammo wasn't really an issue, you could ignore commenting on it altogether. Using such variables will help avoid contradicting things you've already commented on. Some possible variables to track: level style, prominent monsters, special effects, difficulty, multiplayer or not, number of maps, and notable traps/events/places to list a few.

2. Have a list of sentence structures and fill in the blanks with appropriate words or phrases. Choose one of these structures randomly for each sentence in each paragraph, so you're less likely to notice patterns in the output, and have a lot of these structures to choose from.

3. Have a VERY broad database of words and/or phrases. For example, Boris' map idea generator uses a very short list of words, and the output is very repetitive and predictable. A good idea is to have different words with the same meaning, like "kill", "frag", "blow up", "chunky-gibbletized", and so on. You could weight certain words to be chosen more often by having redundant entries in the database.

PhilibusMo said:

"This map is under detailed in some areas and yet under detailed in other areas. It was a real test of sanity to trek through most of the way until by my mom.Does not work for intended Vanilla DOOM source port.

This map would not be as enjoyable if it was not for the amount of specters to scare me."

yh the grammar still aint quite perfect. under detailed yet under deatiled?

is a lot better though.

I thought I fixed the double detailed, but apparently not. I just fixed it again, cause I am supposed to have 2 tripwires. A and B. B and A. I only had A and B. There needs to be a space after "mom."

Ain't isn't a word. I am sure that was the pun. I never thought I would learn so much about grammar.

Let me get back to EarthQuake's comments. They will take more time.

geo said:

Ain't isn't a word. I am sure that was the pun. I never thought I would learn so much about grammar.

after posting i wondered if my subtle grammar joke would be noticed or if people would just assume i was an idiot. COngratulations, you won.

Creaphis said:

Yeah, I guess with OBLIGE we already have the ultimate map generator, making idea generators completely obsolete. It may be more beneficial to the community to automate some other process that we're still forced to perform by hand. How about a random review generator?

This map is ugly and
this map is overdetailed.

This map has gameplay that is good and
above-average.

This map has too much shotgun ammo and
not enough health and
too much rocket ammo and
not enough cell and
too much health.

The map breaks Legacy
because the mapper needs to add impassible lines
because the map does not work in ZDoom.

The way this is shaping up, it sure seems more impartial than some of the reviews we get now.

I spent far too much time going through the newstuff chronicles and turning the reviews from the site into random reviews. It is surpsisingly long and tedious. I will upload it eventually.

Do any other reviewers give lengthily reviews like newstuff chronicles?

I tried out the idea generator at the WIP page. After making a simplified version of the map that met the requirements, I concluded that the map was both very sh.itty yet funny...

Good job so far, but there are still some problems.

DOOM Map Random Reviewer V .3

This map is good and pretty horrible. It was a real joy to play through most of the way until I was killed by a trap. Its crazy that the map works in BOOM, but not Skulltag.

This map would not be as enjoyable if it was not for the amount of chain gunners to scare me.

geo said:

Do any other reviewers give lengthily reviews like newstuff chronicles?

Yes they do, see here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here.

doomygecko said:

CYBERDEMON FROM BENEATH - that really does not sound plaesant, this is the reason i tend to AVOID cybie.wad

heh, i agree.

reki107 said:

DEMON DEMON DEMON WAD }-- Eh?

DEMON DEMON MINES }-- WTF?

ENTER THE DEMON }-- :(

ESCAPE FROM BENEATH THE DEMON }-- I'm gonna go outside now...

I,ll lol if they become 5 star wads

This map is a little too immaculate and beautiful. It was a major chore to trek through all of it. Works well for intended BOOM source port, but nothing else.

This map would be less enjoyable if there were a lot less arachnatrons.

Uh? Can you get "too immaculate and beautiful"?
And the last bit makes no sense...unless the reviewer likes Arachnotrons. O_o

I just did another one and the map is apparently "horrible and good".

This map is really horrible and bad. It was a major joy to trek through all of it. I've noticed the map works in Legacy, but not Skulltag.

This map would be less enjoyable if there were less demons.

^^ The above stuff confuses me

My original idea of an idea generator was a lot easier to accurately pull off than a .wad reviewer.

CASTLE OF SIN - So I should build a huge castle and randomly throw an "Icon of sin" object at the "top"?

LIBRARY FROM BENEATH - What the hell?

TOWER FACILITY - Yay bathroom tower.

ESCAPE FROM THE LAB OF EVIL - Generic plot.

THE FLESH WAD - ...

THE DEVIL'S LIBRARY OF DEATH - Glad I'm not much of a reader.

DEAD TEMPLE OF DEATH - How the hell does a temple die anyway?

THE CHURCH - Arrogant atheism much?

CRYPT CRYPT - wow...why not call this "CRYPTIC CRYPT?"

BIG GARDENS - Aren't they called arboretums?

DEMON CYBERDEMON STATION - Sounds like a name for a bad jokewad.

IMP ARENA - How many can YOU kill?

SPIDERDEMON LIBRARY - Yep, even hellspawn need to study.

CYBERDEMON GATES - Another jokewad idea. Fabulous.

CITY CITY - lol

Wow... after about 10 minutes of using this thing I have an idea for a jokewad now. I'd say the only thing this does is give you ideas for map themes. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an arena map full of imps to get started on.

LAVA DEATH'S STATION - ???

MORBID LAB - A mortiary, perhaps?

ABANDONED STATION FROM BENEATH - So where am I now?

THE DEVIL'S COURTYARD OF SIN - Actually...

THE BASE OF BLOOD - This one's excellent, sorry.

ALPHA TOWER OF THE APOCALYPSE - That's not all gonna fit on the stats screen.

BEYOND THE FACILITY OF PAIN - Neither is this.

ALTAR OF THE MORBID FACILITY OF BLOOD - I should probably stop now.

That would be cool, people have made game name generators and character name generators, why not a Doom idea generator? :)

cycloid said:

Years ago i made a web page that randomly generated doom wad names base on a randomish selection of words taken from existing wad names in the archives. Might have the ASP code around here somewhere (rummage...)

EDIT: Ressurected: http://cyclomedia.co.uk/doom/WadNameGenerator.asp

that's what happens when you never throw anything away and always copy all your old crap to your new hard disks...

Muahaha... "ABANDONED SHADOWS OF PAIN". I want that level. NOW. hehe.

reki107 said:

DEMON DEMON DEMON WAD }-- Eh?

DEMON DEMON MINES }-- WTF?

ENTER THE DEMON }-- :(

ESCAPE FROM BENEATH THE DEMON }-- I'm gonna go outside now...

I seem to notice a trend, here... maybe you should... reflect upon this? Find your inner demon? ^_^

KEEP KEEP - Almost as good as DEMON DEMON DEMON WAD.

ARTIFACT OF BLOOD - I'm so snagging this as a map name.

BELOW HELL HALLS - So is it below Hell Halls, or halls below Hell?

BENEATH CLASSIC SHADOWS OF DEATH - I think there might very well be a classic PWAD with that name.

GAMMA CITY OF BLOOD - Now it's getting silly.

LAIR TOWER - It's a tower that's also a lair! Brilliant!

BEYOND THE FLESH OF DEATH - This is so nonsensical it wraps around right back to awesome.

TEMPLE FLESH - ?

GATES OF THE GATES - Redundency is redundant

ALTAR OF THE ETERNAL SEWERS OF DEATH - That.... I don't even know...

BENEATH BARON CHURCH FROM BENEATH - More redundency!

KEEP DOOM - Planning on it.

THE FLESH - The Flesh... Oh god... THE FLESH!!
ENTER THE MORBID MINES OF PAIN - NOOO!!! DO NOT WANT!!!
BIG SHADOWS - Shadow of a Cyberdemon perhaps?
ALTAR OF THE LOST CATHEDRAL OF THE APOCALYPSE - Extremely long title of extremely stupid idea of apocalypse.
SPIDERDEMON THE DEVIL'S FLESH - This would be a good name for a Doom machinima
ESCAPE FROM THE BARON FLESH - Good for a jokewad.

I think we should make a jokewad megawad project that has maps based of stupid titles that this name generator made.

bump

One of the names I got off this is "CHURCH OF SATAN", which is an actual church.

Also,

ARENA CITY - Deathmatch idea.
DEAD MINES OF DEATH - Redundancy. It's what's for dinner.
EVIL LAB OF EVIL - Another redundant name.
CYBERDEMON FLESH - inb4 Maes
EVIL SATAN'S PIT - ...
UNDER CITY - Blizzard should sue.
BEYOND THE VILE FLESH - Sequel to Vile Flesh.
ALTAR OF THE SATAN'S CITY - That makes no sense.

geo said:

I have seen the one at WIP, but it is very old and it wasn't originally meant for Doom. So I was tinkering around today and made the basis of an idea generator. It needs work, but I was wondering, is there even a need for a Doom idea generator?

I don't believe so.