Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Which game mode do you fire up first?

Have you ever jumped straight into multiplayer on a game built for both modes?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever jumped straight into multiplayer on a game built for both modes?

• Yes
    • No

First of all, I'm not here to talk about Call of Duty or Game Informer.

Anyway, so I saw this poll on the Game Informer home page.

It sort of shocked me. I just sort of assumed that you "had" to play single player on a game first before jumping into multiplayer modes, to learn and get "accustomed" to the game first I guess. I've always tried to finish the single player on anything before playing with anyone else.

Now I see that 39.8% of people jumped straight into multiplayer (I don't know why Co-op wasn't considered multiplayer).

Anyway, I'm glad now. I've actually not played games because I felt I had to play the single player first and I really wasn't up to it.

Heh.. I'm actually surprised at the number of people who bought the game and played the single player. From my experience, most modern gamers seem to think of single player as something you play when your internet is down.

A couple of my friends didn't even know that Halo 3 had a campaign mode.

Yeah I never go straight into the fray in any game. Even if it is a purely MP game. I always work out how it's done first. But of course, with games like ETQW and QL. You do go into it a lot sooner than in say Doom.

This is preposterous. I always play through the campaign first. If all people want to do is play MP, then maybe there should be a separate package for them.

I start with single player first and try to beat the game on the hardest skill setting. I think I stand an better chance online if I am very familiar with the controls and how the game plays.

In games such as Battlefield 1942, single player is a joke. You can literally sit down and have a picnic with enemy bots, until they randomly shoot in your approximate direction killing you, or you do so first out of frustration.

Then again that game has quite complex battle options and vehicles to write an efficient AI for all of them: you can snake in some dark nook and cranny or soar through the skies in a plane or sail under the the sea in a sub. Tasks which the bots just don't master to any useful degree (the only thing they are good at is sniping you from far beyond the visual rendering distance, which sucks ass).

So bots roam around aimlessly trashing vehicles and killing themselves, or getting opportunistic kills by sniping each over incredible distances that you didn't consider possible. Sometimes you don't need to do anything to win matches (and conversely, sometimes it will be like being alone vs a whole hostile team).

That being said, certain multiplayer games were worse than bot matches...

My wife and I started New Super Mario Brothers Wii in coop without trying single player first.

Well, OK. I did play a bunch of games in Coop before I played them as SP.

GoW
Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2
also played LAN skirmishes on Company of Heroes before playing it SP.

I always play single player, no matter what game is purchased...unless it's multiplayer like Team Fortress 2.

I hit no. While I did play Diablo 1 co-op first (still haven't played it in sp), that certainly isn't what I normally choose.

I've never played any of the Halo games solo. The only game mode I like in Halo is Co-op. Other than that, I always play the single player campaign of any given game first. Who the fuck plays multiplayer?

Yeah, multiplayer... pssh

If a game has a coop mode and I've got friends willing to play through it with me, I might shoot for that first, but otherwise I'm just going to play through the single player campaign first. Maybe I'll get to that multiplayer part one of these days...

Depends on the game really. I can think of plenty that are best played in Coop or DM: Left4Dead, Resistance: Fall of Man, Titan Quest, Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2, C&C series, Diablo II, AvPII, pretty much any shooting or strategy game you care to mention really.

In fact, with many strategy games, even ones that I've owned for years, I still haven't bothered completing the campaigns because they're just more fun in multiplayer. Age Of Empires II, WarCraft II, Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Homeworld series, etc.

I only buy games where I can play competitively and smash opponents now. Single player is so 3rd grade

DuckReconMajor said:

Anyway, I'm glad now. I've actually not played games because I felt I had to play the single player first and I really wasn't up to it.

It is really important to approach things in the same fashion as other people. You should NOT think for yourself and do things your own way.... What, are you not a sheep?

[edit] actually, in all seriousness, I've felt the same way, but I think it was more out of not getting my money's worth since I always think of the single player experience as primary and multiplayer just an added bonus.

The thing about me is, I'm not really competitive, as a rule of thumb. But when I do get into a competition, I hate losing. I just hate, hate, hate it. Getting a "You fail it" in Skulltag is enough to get my blood pressure rising. "Your skill is not enough" (which, thankfully, is quite rare) results in an immediate exit, accompanied with a lot of cursing.

So... I play single player first. Extensively.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

The thing about me is, I'm not really competitive, as a rule of thumb. But when I do get into a competition, I hate losing. I just hate, hate, hate it. Getting a "You fail it" in Skulltag is enough to get my blood pressure rising. "Your skill is not enough" (which, thankfully, is quite rare) results in an immediate exit, accompanied with a lot of cursing.

So... I play single player first. Extensively.

Hm, I think playing multiplayer helped my single player skills more than the other way around.

Multiplayer will force you to improve because you're faced off against other people who aren't going to stoop down to your playing skill just because you suck, unless you only play it in your basement against your little sister, of course. You either gain some skill or keep getting slapped around.

To get improvements out of single player, you have to push yourself somehow, all alone, unless you rely on external examples or competition, such as with speed demos.

I personally always try out single player first, dont normally go all the way through, I kinda sample all the game has to offer to see what I enjoy most