Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomygecko

climable ladders?

Has anyone figured out a method of making climbable ladders? If not I think I may have found a way to do so.

I was messing around with a wad with deep water when I started scaling a wall and thought to myself, 'LADDER!'.

I then proceeded to whip up this wad, wich, if this actually hasn't been done should explain things well enough.http://www.mediafire.com/?xmzmjonmzuy

I'm amazed if no one's thought of this before, but if not there you go. even if it has now there's a wad up for people who want it.

yeah, it's kinda like a ladder, except you float and take damage after a little while. just a sector with Deepwater.

:(

I'm surprised none of the advanced ports have added a ladder linetype. Then again, I have no idea how Doom handles clipping, so maybe there's some reason why that can't be done.

EDGE has ladder linetypes.

It can also be done with invisible liquid extrafloors which disable gravity.

Super Jamie said:

1-unit-wide steps with a suitable texture like STEPLAD1. Ladder enough for me.

I usually use that method but make the steps invisible with transfer heights then put a ladder texture on a 2S line as the mid tex. It does mean that you can climb a ladder phenomenally quickly but I'm generally OK with that (given the Doomguy's crazy speed anyway) and it's usually much easier to negotiate in game than the bloody awkward ladder systems in so many other games.

I've seen ladders in vanilla Doom wads, although those really were crude 2-unit wide stairs. In Boom you can use the 'transfer floor height' trigger to make that stair invisible, and use a ladder middle texture to make it look like one. In Eternity, you can just use several invisible 3DMidTex lines, the tallest one being an actual ladder texture.

I did one in Genesis of Descent using water sectors. Since the level never made real use of water sectors I either changed the amount of time it took to kill the player or removed it completely. I don't remember how I did it. It was via acs.

KDIZD does this by giving the player a 'Fly' powerup in certain sectors. This might work for ya.

Enjay said:

(given the Doomguy's crazy speed anyway)

Haha. It wasn't until I read that clause that I really pictured how funny it would be to see someone climb a ladder that fast.

It looks like a lot of fun.

Hmmm, I don't really care for how quickly you move up 1 unit wide stairs. I'll figure something out that works, thanks for all the suggestions.

The transfer-heights method described here to get an invisible ladder with a midtexture to represent it can also be done using self-referencing sectors, in vanilla or any port (assuming that their renderer supports self-referencing sectors). I do ladders this way; I find it to take the least work :P

esselfortium said:

I do ladders this way; I find it to take the least work :P

Heh, I don't see how it could take less work than making a stair and simply set the transfer sector heights line from the room/sector they are in.