Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swec

Easy way to aline textures?

Hello.

is there a easy way to aline textures?

eg
http://pici.se/pictures/VeTOfLVtN.jpg

It takes time to set the offset right and you have to +/- it bye 8 (for the step) and the to the left/right.

if it is a 80% match it is a good way to save some time.

//Martin

A-line

Do you mean align? ;)

I know that in DeePsea you can select all the lines and press Y to Y align them or X to X-align them. There are alos additional options for initial offsets and which side to align.

I know that in DB, simply pointing the cursor at a texture in 3D mode and pressing a key (I forget which one) will X-align textures. I'm not sure how to do it for Y-alignment but I bet there is a way.

A-line or align what is the different :roll:

Thanks for the very fast reply!

It made my work a bit easy!

//Martin

i think from previous posts that Swec is northern European (please correct me if I am wrong) so I would say that it is understandable that his spelling is not brilliant.

On a more topic related note I never knew you could auto align on the Y axis by holding down shift. That is most useful.

EDIT: yep after having a look at his profile I can confirm that he is swedish.

PhilibusMo said:

i think from previous posts that Swec is northern European (please correct me if I am wrong) so I would say that it is understandable that his spelling is not brilliant.

I wasn't particularly criticising. There's no harm in finding out the correct word/spelling if you don't know.

Swec said:

A-line or align what is the different :roll:

As Essel said, one is correct, the other isn't. One means lining things up, the other is a style of skirt. There is nothing wrong with not knowing that (especially if you are a non native speaker). However, not caring about using the correct word once you find out... That's not so good IMO. :P

Of course it is best to have the right word. A-line was just coming up in my head and A-line and align sounds quite the same.

It was ironic that i 'didn't care' which word i was locking for.
I am not very good at English, but i understand the most and can communicate on it but some word you just don't know or just think it is the right one.

But the thing is that Enjay and dutch devil was understanding which word i was locking for.

Never mind.. Thanks for the help again :)

I don't think it's exactly fair to crucify someone for making a spelling error when it isn't even their first language (see Swec's location field). As someone who's currently learning a foreign language (Italian) I know it's a difficult process.

Enjay was just being helpful here. As a foreigner myself, I'd rather have people point out my mistakes so I can improve. Never telling anyone they're wrong for the sake of political correctness is doing everyone a disservice in my opinion.

esselfortium said:

One is correct; the other makes you look like you're 7 years old.

Thats all very well but to someone who speeks English as their native tongue, this is fair, to someone who doent it could seem as a little demeaning and demoralising. I'm not trying to be politically correct, just fair. There is nothing in the world i despise more than over the top political correctness.

You can look at it as something demeaning or as an incentive to learn and get better.

It's like in Doom mapping - when someone says your wad is terrible because of such and such, do you ignore his opinion thinking he's a jackass, or do you consider his points carefully to see if he's right to some extent ?

One of the two options leads to stagnation, the other one might make you improve. I know which one I'd pick.

Phml said:

Enjay was just being helpful here.

I was trying to at least (and maybe with an injection of mild humour).

For the record, us Brits are absolutely rubbish at learning other languages. It is, IMO, something that should be considered a national embarrassment. The attitude of "everyone speaks English so I don't need to bother learning Johnny Foreigner's language" is still very prevalent in the UK and, whilst I don't subscribe to that point of view, I have to confess that I haven't done much to address it myself and my knowledge of other languages is just about as bad as most other Brits that you are likely to meet. ie Almost non-existent.

I never cease to be impressed at the skill and willingness with which non-native speakers tackle English. Some of the people on here and other forums are so skilled with written English that if I didn't know they were not native speakers, I would never work it out from what they type. And it has been my experience that non native speakers do have a willingness to improve their skills in English and don't mind, even welcome, having mistakes pointed out provided that it is done so in a suitable manner and that every exchange doesn't become a vocabulary lesson.

My best suggestion would be to set the lines to "Upper Unpegged" and make the ceiling height above the stairs all the same, since the ceiling shouldn't have any impact on the playability unless it's too low.

40oz said:

My best suggestion would be to set the lines to "Upper Unpegged" and make the ceiling height above the stairs all the same, since the ceiling shouldn't have any impact on the playability unless it's too low.

Eeeegh. It'd be far easier to just use Doom Builder 2's vertical autoalign, which works flawlessly in all situations I've tried it in (and I use it frequently!) as long as any affected 2-sided lines have upper/lower unpegging on and any affected 1-sided lines are normal.