Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EarthQuake

Some questions about TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2.

So I've been reading a bit about the specifications of the TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2 lumps on the Doom Wiki, and there are several pieces of information missing from the tables. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on these.

First up, at 0x08 in the texture structure we have a 4-byte boolean value described as "masked". What does this define? Something to do with transparent textures?

Then, at 0x06 and 0x08 in the patch structure we have two short integers with the descriptions "stepdir" and "colormap", respectively. I can't venture a guess as to what "stepdir" is, but "colormap" sounds really intriguing. What are these used for, if at all? My guess is that "colormap" was used to specify which mapping from the COLORMAP was used to draw the patch?

Does anyone know what these are/were used for, and if they are actually used by Doom or any source ports? If not, I'd still like to document them on the Wiki, so any information would be useful.

Also, another question regarding TEXTURE2. Is what makes this lump different from TEXTURE1 for use in pwads, that it's "stackable"? With TEXTURE1 you have to include all of the original stock textures in order to literally add anything. Does TEXTURE2 allow one to avoid doing this? Also, are the formats otherwise identical?

Thanks. :)

I've been working on something that hasn't really touched the TEXTURE1/2 info stuff yet. Doom's data types have a bunch of stuff that's either undefined, aren't used (obsolete), but likely both.

Masked must be obsolete, and may have had to do with transparency which doom solved by just not drawing pixels in their picture format.

I couldn't venture a guess as to what stepdir meant. Colormap was likely an index to a specific colormap, which must also obsolete.

It's kind of like how the picture format files require useless bytes to be read / written for it to be proper. The doom sound headers also have a 3 and 0 at 0x0 and 0x6 always. But nobody seems to know what they represent.

On a similar note I've been working on a lump editor as a personal project. I remember testing writing the wad correctly and thinking I messed up because I took all of Doom 2's lumps and rewrote the wad but the file size was different. The wad appeared to work perfectly so I believe there's a 'hole' in the wad.

EarthQuake said:

First up, at 0x08 in the texture structure we have a 4-byte boolean value described as "masked". What does this define? Something to do with transparent textures?

Then, at 0x06 and 0x08 in the patch structure we have two short integers with the descriptions "stepdir" and "colormap", respectively. I can't venture a guess as to what "stepdir" is, but "colormap" sounds really intriguing. What are these used for, if at all? My guess is that "colormap" was used to specify which mapping from the COLORMAP was used to draw the patch?

None of these values are used anywhere. You should leave them at 0 because some ports use them for different purposes.

Also, another question regarding TEXTURE2. Is what makes this lump different from TEXTURE1 for use in pwads, that it's "stackable"? With TEXTURE1 you have to include all of the original stock textures in order to literally add anything. Does TEXTURE2 allow one to avoid doing this? Also, are the formats otherwise identical?

The only reason this ever existed is so that the shareware and registered version of Doom could contain the same lumps with the difference only being additional data but not changed one.

I can't even say that this was originally loaded when playing Doom 2.

The format is identical to TEXTURE1.

EarthQuake said:

Yes, TEXTURE2 lumps are stackable. They're usefull in Doom2 PWADs if you want to keep your custom textures separate and/or redefine some IWAD textures.

GreyGhost said:

Yes, TEXTURE2 lumps are stackable.

No, they are not - unless you use a ZDoom compatible port. It only works in Doom 2 because the IWAD doesn't have one. But with 2 PWADs only the last one will be used.

But even then you have to be very careful with PNAMES because both texture lumps reference this.