Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhilibusMo

What car(s) do you own.

Don't have any pics, but I drive a '92 Mazda 626, manual transmission. I had to learn how to drive a stick the day I got it, but I'm really glad. Manual is way more fun than automatic (unless you get caught in heavy traffic).

My last car (also my first car) was a '86 Chevy Astro. I'm kind of sad, because that's an amazing line of cars there. Roomy, versatile, yet still compact for a van. The thing is still running, though. I saw it just a couple months back in someone's yard. I just gave it away when the power steering blew up (literally) because I wanted to switch to something smaller and more fuel-efficient.

not my car, but my brother's, and as he is doing his for the army, I steal borrow it regularly.

It's a 1984 Datsun King Cab
2.4 liter diesel, 5 speed manual and with a boatload of amateur fixing (i.e. good luck getting it running without knowing how)

Texas Libra said:

Ed: What happened to your Z28? That's one that seems a shame to let go of voluntarily...

Couple of factors. My boss had backed up into it and destroyed the passenger's side door. I got a nice insurance check, but after all the things it needed to pass inspection I was looking at more than what I paid for the car :\

I'm more into the third gens anyway. The Z28 was pushing 350hp w/ 450 ft pounds of torque, but was a total chick car.

I miss my hearse most of all :(

http://www.tristatechapter.com/devies1.jpg
that exact car, minus the light on the roof.

r_rr said:

I've always wanted to get my hands on a Delorean DMC-12.

*HIGH FIVE* :D

I've owned three vehicles in my driving lifetime. At the moment I'm driving a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo (maybe I'll get a pic up of it later). Actually I'm trying to sell the damn thing, but it's not going so well :P. The car I had before that was my beloved 1977 Ford Granada Ghia (mine was red). Unfortunately it got in a fight with a large deer and lost. Man, I loved that car :(. It got horrible gas mileage and was pretty much a boat on wheels, but it drove so smooth and it was in very good condition. And my first car was given to me by my aunt; it was a 1991 Chevy Corsica. It was a pretty decent first-timer car and it suited my needs of driving to school and back. I ended up giving it to my sister when she got her license. She was kind enough to smash it into the back of a large SUV.

r_rr said:

My friend's dad has one. He actually has a pretty impressive array of cars, probably about 20-30 in total, including a boat or two, a Model-T, a and an 18-person commuter van. That's probably why my friend is so awesome with cars. She gave me a lot of tips on car maintainance.

Danarchy said:

My friend's dad has one. He actually has a pretty impressive array of cars, probably about 20-30 in total, including a boat or two, a Model-T, a and an 18-person commuter van. That's probably why my friend is so awesome with cars. She gave me a lot of tips on car maintainance.

I was just reading through that post and was mildly amused and then got to the word 'She' and became bemused, I have never ever met a girl who knows or enjoys cars in any way shape or form.

DooMAD said:

That's certainly a subjective opinion, heh. This old IRC quote sums it up for me...

Yeah, it really is a love it or hate it car. However, most of the reactions I got whilst I owned it were positive. I liked it, and that's what counts. Of course, I added a lot of chrome inside and out and had a pretty flashy sound system in it too. My sister said it was "like driving a fucking Wurlitzer". LOL

DooMAD said:

Also, is that a custom plate on the sporty convertible? You're not having a midlife crisis or anything are you? :p

Yes! (to both questions). LOL (again)

I think Cruisers have potential to look good but alot of people mess them up.

One in my old town was just neatly done; lowered, tinted, big wide RWD-offset pursuit-style steel wheels with whitewall tyres and it looked really tidy. I've seen gatherings where they have stupid crap like wood panels, airbrushing, big ugly bodykids and ridiculous chrome wheels which would probably ruin any car.

And a Chrysler Neon isn't exactly an inspiring drivetrain to base a car on. I have always thought the PT Cruiser would have been ALOT more popular if it was actually rear-wheel drive, instead of being a front-wheel drive car styled to look RWD.

Have to say PT Cruisers are really not my cup of tea. Standard they are ugly as a toad in a vice, when modified well they are just quite ugly and when modified badly they are ugly enough to make children violently sick.
But that's just my oppinion, marmite and all that.

I have to say that I'm a bit of a Ford man, there isn't a great deal from Ford which I don't like, apart from the Fusion. So far in this thread, the cars that you own/have owned that I would like to own have been Enjay's Capris and Chu's BMW.

EDIT: Add to that list Dutch Devil's Celica and Buckets Volkswagen-Porsche 914.

r_rr said:

My grandma almost got one, but decided to get a Mazda RX7 instead. I'm glad she did. It's my dad's now, but some day it will be mine!

How about what car do you want to own? I mean realistically, because everyone would love a Bugatti Veyron in the shed as a Sunday driver.

Mine would be a Series 5 RX7, R32 GTR, Lancer Evo 4 or a MY00 WRX Wagon. I could easily afford all of them but I drive little enough as is it'd be such a waste of money.

I drool at nice cars like Series 6 RX7s and R34 GTRs and could probably get enough cash for one if I tried, but I'm too paranoid about other road morons and parking dings to drive something that expensive.

Like I said, I'd really like a late 90's Toyota Celica, or late 90's Acura Integra. Not really picky about specific years or anything, I just like how they look.

Unrealistically, in order of price, I want a last gen Mitsubishi 3000GT, Lotus Elise, or McLaren F1. The 3000GT might be attainable in a few years, but the Elise and F1 will probably have to stay in my dreams forever.

You could always get a Mitsubishi FTO, they're like a poor man's GTO. Despite the fact they are a front-wheel drive they handle superbly and have a very taily feel, kinda a like a RWD car you can't mess up in (as easily). With a good exhaust they also sound absolutely superb!

I'm not really into cars for the mechanics or performance or anything. I like them for looks. FTOs can be cool, but there's just something about the GTO/3000GT that I've always had a hardon for, ever since I first played Gran Turismo.

[edit]After some looking around, it looks like the 1994-96 model is the one I really really like!

A 2002 Subaru WRX (black)and a 86 Subaru Gl wagon. The only reason I still have the wagon is due to the fact it just won't die. I have put the car through hell and it keeps going.

My grandpa had one of those Subaru wagons. Those along with those old Toyota Hilux trucks should go into some kind of hall of fame for being fucking indestructible.

I have a knack for owning the same car.

My first car was a Saturn. It was involved in a major accident. My step dad was driving. I wasn't in the car, nor did I know he had it.

My second car was bought for me by my stepdad, due to the totalling of the previously mentioned car. It was a blue LeBaron.

My third car was a blue LeBaron. Want to know what happened to my second? I sold it, then it got sold, then it got sold, then it got sold, then my best friend bought it. I'd constantly see car #2, because it had window decales.

My forth car is unbelievable. A BMW. My best friend's parents have a friend that sells them. He got me the dealership or mechanic deal on it. After a few months, I couldn't afford it, so then my step dad bought it off me.

My fifth car was a white Ford Taurus. It was hit by a brow UPS truck. I wasn't in the car, my mother was the driver. After a white car is hit by a brown truck, it looked like used toilet paper. The insurance company gave me a pathetic amount when the car was clearly totaled. I got it fixed, and then 1 thing after another went wrong with it that stemmed from the collission, until it is now sitting in my driveway unable to move.

My sixth car is a white Ford Taurus. It is newer than my last one, but it looks a lot older.

Nomad said:

Those along with those old Toyota Hilux trucks should go into some kind of hall of fame for being fucking indestructible.

I'm assuming you watch Top Gear :D

The only car I've ever owned was a Citroen AX; the non-sports model I might add. Small, economical and completely rubbish. But it was mine. I loved the way that pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor until pistons started bursting out of the hood would only result in achieving 40 mph.

Of course I have my "dream car" wishlist. I think I could narrow it down to:-

1970 Hemi 'Cuda (with a blower and everything)
2009 Nissan GTR Nismo
1962-64 Ferrari 250 GTO

None of these machines I will ever be able to afford. None of them I will ever be able to even drive, probably. But it's nice to fantasise.

I had a red 1987 mitsubishi mirage wagon as my first car, the gearbox was so sloppy you could literally "flick" it into gear.

I have a 98 subaru legacy wagon LX now, wiring system is a bit screwed (if you try to adjust the electric mirrors, the air con fan inside the engine bay comes on)

I would like to have an Lexus IS200 in black, and I might buy one one day. I don't waste my time on looking for cars I can't afford. But if I had an little more to spend I would go for an early 2000 bmw m3 in black, but its just above my budget right now.

Truth be told, I'm happy with my WRX. My dream car is a 1970 GTO Judge but there not cheap and most people won't give them up. I also think thirty to forty grand is a bit to much for a car, even if its my dream car. So I'll stick with my WRX.

dutch devil said:

Lexus IS200

They are surprisingly cheap now hey. Apparently they handle quite well though people say they are slow for a sports car.

Super Jamie said:

They are surprisingly cheap now hey. Apparently they handle quite well though people say they are slow for a sports car.

Yeah they are not all that expensive today. Not faster than my current car, but I love its design. I almost bought one some years ago, but went for an Subaru in the end.

So do I, I looked into buying one a few months ago but decided to be stingy and keep my Corolla :P

One of the dudes at work has a gunmetal grey one with nice rims, I see it parked here every day and drool over it, he just had a kid so maybe he'll be selling it cheap soon :D

I have a bit of a thing for classics and modern classics as there is nothing post 95 that would really interest me in my current price range. Currently I would love to have one of these 4 cars:
BMW 3-series (E30) convertible:

Ford Zodiac III:

Volkswagen Corrado:

or a (still a little to far out of my price range) Vauxhall HP Firenza (Droopsnoot):