Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flubbernugget

ACS not running

I created an ACS script in the DB2 script editor. I saved and compiled the script. However, the script won't execute when I run the editor. How do I get the script to run?

You're being really vague. First off, what "editor"? Scripts don't execute in any editor; they execute in-game. And for them to do that, you have to make sure a lot of things are working correctly:

1. Did the script compile correctly?
2. Was the BEHAVIOR lump inside the wad updated with the executable code?
3. Does the script actually do something visible in-game?
4. Did you execute the script using the correct linedef/sector/thing action and script arguments?
5. Is the linedef/sector/thing action triggable for the player? (e.g. If it's supposed to be a walkover linedef, make sure it's not set as "player uses linedef" or "monster walks over")

I'm assuming the first two Doombuilder will already take care of for you. Double check those things, and post your script here with details how you're calling the script from the map if it still doesn't work.

1) Yes
2) I have no idea
3) Yes, it's the first ACS script in the ZDOOM wiki under ACS tutorials. It is supposed to print "Hello World"
4)&5) It is supposed to execute when the level opens.

This is the script copied and pasted from the wiki

// My first ACS script

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 enter
{
print (s:"Hello world!");
}

I didn't copy and paste it from the wiki when I wrote it in the script editor, but I checked and double checked that it was exact.

I'm sorry for being so vague, but thanks for your patience.

EarthQuake said:

2. Was the BEHAVIOR lump inside the wad updated with the executable code?

No it wasn't. I can't figure out how to do that.

*EDIT I just tried to do that and destroyed my wad.

flubbernugget said:

No it wasn't. I can't figure out how to do that.

*EDIT I just tried to do that and destroyed my wad.

If Doombuilder does what I think it will do, then it will allow you to create/modify a SCRIPTS/SCRIPTXX lump for the map in question. When you choose to compile, it should compile the contents of the SCRIPTS/SCRIPTXX lump into an ACS object file (the executable code) using acc.exe. It would then take that object file and replace the BEHAVIOR lump with it.

I don't know what you did to destroy your wad, but if you messed up the BEHAVIOR lump, it would not affect the validity of the wad file itself.