Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

Videos: Do you prefer pistol starts?

I was shouting at my computer a few days ago while playing Scythe II for the first time, and I realized my untold hours spent playing Doom could be filmed and unloaded onto Youtube for whatever person wishes to watch it.

But there's just one question I have to pose before I start deciding which WADs to film: when watching doom videos, do you prefer seeing individual levels with pistol starts? The benefits of this would be that videos could be more... compartmentalized, and it could show whoever is watching them for map assistance how it could be done. The cons are... well, I happen to like my plasma gun and rocket launcher, and losing my lovely weapons doesn't sit well with me.

If I go for map01-30 playthroughs, I would be playing the way I normally do. I do sometimes play from pistol starts, but I typically start a wad and finish it with the same set of savegames, and not restarting everything with each level.

So. Individual maps, or a comprehensive, full-WAD playthrough?

Well you can either go one way or the other so choose one you like and do it. I kinda prefer it played straight through myself.

You know what, I think I've been entirely too productive lately when playing Doom. Now I can be even more of a lazy asshole and just watch Doom! Thanks Abyssal!

Depends on what I am in the mood for. Pistol start is an added challenge. Though not everyone tests their wads from that perspective.

For a playthough of an episode or megawad where you are recording back-to-back videos of MAP01, MAP02, MAP03 and so on, I think continuing with the equipment is fine. The levelset is obviously designed to have a continuity and a playthrough simply showcases that.

If you are doing speedruns or Compet-N categories where the idea is to showcase player skill then I think a pistol start is the way to go.

Pistol start! And always a Compet-n category, well unless you do a movie run (hole episode or hole game) but the level you start has to be Pistol start or I will just click off with few exceptions.
And again, ALWAYS A COMPET-N CATEGORY!!!

I like movie runs much better than pistol starts, unless on extremely long maps.

I prefer to see full run-throughs, although I have been testing all of my levels from a pistol start as there are people out there who would prefer to just restart a level as opposed to reloading it from a save.

I'm not one of them, mind...;)

Creaphis said:

You know what, I think I've been entirely too productive lately when playing Doom. Now I can be even more of a lazy asshole and just watch Doom! Thanks Abyssal!

No problem. Working for yourself is so overrated...

I'd say the whole point in recording a video was so that we could see you play through it your own way, so in that respect, I'd say you just go for whatever makes you most comfortable.

I myself prefer holding on to my equipment from level to level, and so that's exactly what I would do if I were ever to record me playing Doom.

If all the levels can be completed in pistol start, then do so. It's much more challenging.