Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

The Classical Music Thread

Penderecki - Polymorphia
Performer: Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra (Matrix 5)

Penderecki - De Natura Sonoris 2

Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima

Penderecki - Symphony 1 (excerpt)
Performer: ?

OK, I suppose it's no secret who my favorite classical composer is :P

Kubrick fans may recognize the first 2 performances from The Shining. About half that movie's music was pulled from Penderecki recordings. It's kind of amusing to think this guy was writing that kind of music as standalone compositions, without a horror movie to go along with them.

[edit] Jeez, if you want a real headscrew, play all 4 videos at once O_O

Doom Marine said:

Pachelbel - Canon in D Major

Classical musician cred = waaaaaaay down.

(Seriously man, it's like if classical music was written by the Hallmark card company.)

Creaphis said:

Classical musician cred = waaaaaaay down.

(Seriously man, it's like if classical music was written by the Hallmark card company.)

Oh keep your snobbery to yourself, it's a beautiful classical. Share some stoke please.

Gustav Holst - The Planets: Mars

Modest Mussorgsky - Night On Bald Mountain

Richard Wagner - Magic Fire Music

I don't know much about classical music so I feel like the guy who posts Linkin Park videos in a metal thread.

destx said:

Gustav Holst - The Planets: Mars

After listening to Mars, I'm positive that Hans Zimmer's Gladiator Battle Score is directly inspired by it.

Hans Zimmer - Gladiator: The Battle

Doom Marine said:

inspired by

Yeah, definitely. Loads of people ripped that one off, there's some stuff in Star Wars that is very similar, for example.

Not to go too far off topic, but thing with film composers is that they're contract employees, so if the director insists on either using or recreating a certain pre-existing piece they think would suit the film better than any original material, the composer has to go with it. Sometimes the music is re-recorded for consistency's sake (like in Gladiator), sometimes they go through the extra paperwork hassle to use existing recordings (like most of Kubrick's movies). Most film composers don't have much say in the final music selections.

I hate threads where you have to watch a million videos instead of just read peoples posts.

Two of my favorit pieces.

And something modern
(best part is after the halfway mark)

and some opera. My favorite duet from the Barber of Seville.

40oz said:

I hate threads where you have to watch a million videos instead of just read peoples posts.

That's what tabbed browsing is for.

Trumpet player here -- gonna post the Hummel Trumpet Concerto (after Marsalis recorded it became a standard in classical trpt. solos, especially to perform on its original instrument, the Eb Trpt) which I'll be playing this spring. I think it is the perfect demonstration of the classical trpt sound.

It was during the rehearsals of this song that I decided to be a music major; I'll be playing in a brass quintet version as well.

Some of you may have heard of the Carnival of Venice solo or its reputation as a technical showpiece, well this is Allen Vizzutti's insane variations (Carnival of Venus) which may very well be one of the hardest trpt pieces ever. 2:03 is my favorite part.

Too many videos to watch right now...I'll just post mine here.

This is my all-time favorite classical piece here:

And this is probably in my top 5:

And then my favorite composer of all time, Dvorak:

And part 2...

I guess I like a lot of down-tempo stuff. Here's something more exciting, also from Dvorak:

40oz said:

I hate posters with no stoke to share.

Danarchy said:

beethoven's 7th and dvorak

get out of my head! well, now i have to improvise...

Wagner - Siegfried's funeral march... has to be the grandest, most epic piece until Conan The Barbarian soundtrack.

and some patriotism, wooo! Smetana - Vltava (Moldau), the traditional opener of the Prague Spring festival

though i have to admit i'd dump everything in this thread (and possibly, this world) to get to hear ecstasy of gold in a live morricone concert with susanna rigacci's soprano

dew said:

Wagner - Siegfried's funeral march... has to be the grandest, most epic piece until Conan The Barbarian soundtrack.

Did someone say... Basil Poledouris? WINNER!!! The Riddle of Steel is my favorite of them all.

Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian: Riddle Of Steel / Riders Of Doom