Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
destx

Serious Sam HD

So, it's been out for almost a week and I've barely played anything else. Has anybody else had the pleasure of playing this yet?

I'd forgotten how colourful and insane this game is, holy shit I love it. The updated graphics look extremely sexy, even without everything turned up. Serious Engine 3 scales really well and still handles a bazillion monsters on screen in gigantic environments without breaking a sweat; There's a ridiculous number of options in the graphics settings so precise tweaking is pretty easy. An interesting feature to me is kids mode, which turns the blood into stars and sparkles and gibs into lollipops and candy canes, for some reason this really appeals to me even though I'm rather keen on gory games.

It's not perfect though, there are a few over-scaled textures here and there. The sound hasn't been updated (Not that it was required IMO) and I had a couple of driver-related BSODs. Croteam have announced that deathmatch and dedicated servers are going to be patched into the game soon and Second Endounter HD will be out early next year with Serious Sam 3 following some time after that.

The (16 player!) co-op is much smoother and it's really easy to hop into a game. It'd be cool to trade Steam IDs here and maybe get some doomworld co-op going.

The gameplay of the first game bugged me after a while. I enjoyed the insane crescendo moments to an extent, but the rest of the game just turned into spam endurance after a while.

Did they do anything with regards to gameplay this time around? Monster AI upgrades? Balance tweaks? Anything?

TheeXile said:

Dd they do anything with regards to gameplay this time around? Monster AI upgrades? Balance tweaks? Anything?

Nope, bar the graphical upgrades it's pretty much exactly the same.

I haven't played it yet. I loved Serious Sam 1 and the Second Encounter, but it doesn't seem like they changed anything except the graphics. I'm all for graphics updates, but they could've added something to make it worthwhile. Added content, or at least included the first and second encounter in one package. I'll get it eventually, but it's holiday season, with multiple birthdays, so I'll concentrate on those first. Who knows, maybe they'll bring it down to a reasonable $10 by then. Or maybe include more than a remake of the first game. I just can't see paying another $40 for the first and second encounter games when all that's been updated is the graphics.

But damn, Second Encounter is fun.

You know what they really need to do is add in a Director-like AI for this. Sounds like a mod idea, actually.

I'm glad gameplay is untouched, though some new levels would have been nice.

EDIT: Is there a level editor included?

TheeXile said:

You know what they really need to do is add in a Director-like AI for this. Sounds like a mod idea, actually.

Sounds like Serious Sam isn't the game you're looking for.

Khorus said:

I'm glad gameplay is untouched, though some new levels would have been nice.

EDIT: Is there a level editor included?

Yeah, definitely. Serious Sam is a relatively basic concept but still manages to feel completely unique. And yeah, some new stuff would be great, though I haven't played Second Encounter so that will be awesome for me.

The level editor is another thing that Croteam has promised, should be coming soon.

I absolutely love Croteam's website for this. "If you kinda suck, the extra pixels will help."

Always been a big Sam fan. Seems like a cute graphical update, but not so sure I'll be buying this any time soon--mostly because a lack of having a proper system, but it doesn't seem to add much. Does it have a ragdoll engine?

destx said:

Sounds like Serious Sam isn't the game you're looking for.

What part of asking for procedurally generated gameplay pacing preclude this from being a game I like? I wouldn't suggest anything at all if I hated it.

Serious Sam isn't like Doom. It has design flaws.

Shaikoten said:

Does it have a ragdoll engine?

Yeah, It does. Big monsters disintegrate after a little while though :(

TheeXile said:

What part of asking for procedurally generated gameplay pacing preclude this from being a game I like?

I think I misread your other post, sorry. Yeah it would be pretty cool to mix things up like that. Hopefully this is something they are considering for Serious Sam 3.

also

since SSFE&SE are among my favorite games,i bought it first day and I think it's a great value at $20. The graphics are a little better than SS2, but stays true to the original game's themes. However, if you still play the originals and you don't have a machine to play it with GFX turned up, then you aren't missing much besides achievements, leaderboards, and Steamworks. There are almost no changes to player mechanics, weapon & monster behavior, sounds (they made the lasergun sounds less annoying). When I finished the first time (on Tourist-scoreX10) I nearly ranked in the top 100; guess I'll have to brave through Mental difficulty.
If you fall into the group that thinks SS is boring & repetitive, this won't change anything.

Waiting on a demo of some kind. I know it's going to play exactly the same as First Encounter, but I just want to see if it'll run on my system. Y'know, without having to torrent it.

Looks awesome, plays the same as the old one with a few minor changes that annoyed me. There's no falling damage anymore, and Sam automatically jumps onto low ledges when you walk up to them.

The physics are slightly altered as well, bulls don't send you flying when they hit you and they stay on the ground when they hit a grenade resting on the floor.

I really wonder how the engine is going to handle SEs monster hordes, and I hope they'll do something about the ridiculous performance hit that lava golems induce.

Belial said:

I really wonder how the engine is going to handle SEs monster hordes

Wait, you mean SE has even BIGGER monster hordes? :S

Carnevil said:

Wait, you mean SE has even BIGGER monster hordes? :S

SE gets nuts in the later level's.

I always loved the chainsaw toting jack-o-lantern dudes :)

Bucket said:

Well, there was a PS2 version. Not bad.

um, the PS2 Serious Sam (The Next Encouter) was a spinoff. IT sure was good, not as good as first encounter but still good. It included 3 very long episodes and about 7-8 secret levels to unlock (get the gold medals via playing on serious difficulty). Praetorian Camp secret level for win.

I was going to buy this but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I loved the original Serious Sam, and I remember how much SS2 sucked balls.

Glad to see the flower gore mode has been updated to be even more sugary and filled with laughs.

I played this for a bit, and was mildly disappointed. The graphics are nicer, but not that much nicer in the long run.

Then I got to the Mountains of the Moon. God that level is SO MUCH prettier. The new engine makes the organic parts look way nicer. There's not much it can do for the angular egyptian stonework in most of the game but MotM and Oasis are really pretty.

No LAN play though. WTF Croteam.