Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Napalm

Editor questions

I've been wanting to start editing Doom levels lately, and have a few questions on the editors out there.
First, I saw this program called Deepsea, and have a few questions about it; It looked like a good program, and I have ZDoom, is it a good program? I need an editor that allows you to fully customize everything, sprites, enemies, textures, and graphics. Is this program capable?
Also, can anyone suggest any other good editors? Thanks.

Deepsea or Wadauthor does a good job at that.

Deepsea is the best imo but you will have to pay. But the moneys all worth it.

and Zdoom is good along with Legacy and Prboom.

I started editing something like eight in an ancient DOS editor called DEU, but a couple of years later I discovered a slightly more advanced DOS editor called Deep. It used an improved DEU interface, and so was perfect for me :) Since then the DEU influences have faded away, but it did it slowly enough that I got used to it. So it's fair to say that it's my favourite editor :)

Deepsea is fast (lots of short cuts and alternate ways of doing things), reliable (I've never had it crash), feature packed (there's more than you'll ever likely use), and does indeed allow graphics, sound, music and data editing.

I'm not sure how easy it is for a newbie level designer to start using, although there is an extremely comprehensive help system (which we didn't have in my day - we had to learn all by ourselves! ;) )

Play around with the shareware version, and if you like it, and manage to figure out the basics, by all means register it. But experiment with some of the other editors, like DCK, DETH, DoomCad and WadAuthor, to see what you like. They don't do anything other than level editing, but for anything else there's always the resource editors WinTex and XWE.

Deathman: you also have to pay for WadAuthor though :) Or am I getting confused with something else?

I've been wanting to start editing Doom levels lately, and have a few questions on the editors out there.
First, I saw this program called Deepsea, and have a few questions about it; It looked like a good program, and I have ZDoom, is it a good program? I need an editor that allows you to fully customize everything, sprites, enemies, textures, and graphics. Is this program capable?
Also, can anyone suggest any other good editors? Thanks.

Deepsea is supposedly a popular level editor but I prefer a combination of waded and wadauthor (find them in the 'utilities' section of the doomworld main page). I use waded just to make the layout of the map (it works faster at that), and wadauthor to do everything else.

For sprites, enemies, textures, etc., you want wintex (again in the utilities section). This takes some practice to get used to and editing the .ini can be a pain but it's probably the most powerful graphics/sound editor around.

Deathman: you also have to pay for WadAuthor though :) Or am I getting confused with something else?

dunno, I only bought Deepsea :p

it's probably the most powerful graphics/sound editor around.

Nope, the inbuilt graphics/sound/data editor in Deepsea is more powerful (plus it doesn't have the extremely bugs that WinTex has). Unfortunately it's also extremely difficult to get to grips with if you're used to WinTex :)

Deepsea or Wadauthor does a good job at that.

Deepsea is the best imo but you will have to pay. But the moneys all worth it.

and Zdoom is good along with Legacy and Prboom.

Don't forget EDGE

Yes, DeePSea is the only way to go when it comes to features and ease of use in an editor. It's my favorite.

I always used WinDEU, but I haven't edited for ages now. It was buggy as hell, I remember. Damn node build failed every five or so save-attempts.

I've seen a little of DeepSea, and agree. Buy it. The best things in life are rarely free ;)

Except Alien Vendetta, that is :)

Besides Wintex, DCK was the only main editor I used to build my levels. I don't know what's going on with it now but it likes to randomly crash during one of the following tasks:

1. Creating a new sector/line
Error: "Loader Runtime Error" [hexidecimal]

2. Using the align textures feature (most frequent)
Error: "Reference to a page you don't own" [hexidecimal]
(Sometimes it completely locks up forcing me to reboot or goes in a endless cycle of File not found's)

The thing here is that whenever it crashes, the workspace area doesn't close, so the prompt writes over the background in a extreme dark gray making it hard to read. The prompt becomes completely distorted as it goes down further. These crashes are making it frustrating to build complex areas and properly aligning most textures. I recently chose to download WadAuthor...again, but I haven't used it yet.

Agh crap, I didn't know it cost money. Is there a good free program I can get to show me the basics?
I'll practice with it until I save up the money for DeePsea.

I might consider using DeePSea if it didn't crash on me every five damn seconds. I might reinstall it once I've brought the Lite of Truth back upon my computer but I'm used to Waded/Wadauthor.