Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deathz0r

changing the thing numbers with dehacked

ok, more doom alpha-related stuff here. for those who have ever looked at the doom alpha levels in yadex, you'll notice that a few things (the chair, for example) have thing numbers which aren't used in doom. i'm wondering, is there a way to change an unused thing (eg. hanging bodies) to any number with dehacked? or do i have to just replace a sprite and change the alpha maps around? (which i don't intend to do)

nm about that, i got it working. however, i have a new question. i want to replace powerups (invis, soulsphere etc.) with some of the alpha items, but i want them to not give you a bonus of any kind? (or, if that's not possible, an armor bonus)

That'll make it unpickup-able as well, which is probably not what he's looking for. The best solution for a BOOM-based port would be to use an item with a sprite name that is NOT the sprite of a thing normally pickup-able -- Lee Killough changed P_TouchSpecialThing to simply ignore unknown item pickups rather than I_Error'ing out. This allows you to make any number of no-op pickup items -- you could even pick up an imp or a cyberdemon, I imagine, although I can honestly say I never tried that :->

If you're not using a port based on BOOM, you're probably out of luck. BTW, as part of EDF, Eternity will be making item pickup effects explicitly specifiable, and they will be combinable as flag effects. Of course the old sprite-based system will still be in place on a per-gamemode basis, although it may use a data-specified list of sprite names if so, to allow total customization. (Ultimate goal of Eternity is to be a nearly totally general game engine).

i tried it in zdoom (i changed the gray tree to BON3) and it came up with an error about unknown thing.

Non-BOOM ports are still likely to choke on it. Believe it or not, I think that zdoom actually could at one time handle picking up any object, but when Randy changed zdoom to use a Quake-II-style item system, he didn't code in any backdoor for that. Unfortunate, in my opinion. It should be possible to simply ignore unknown types, just like all BOOM-based ports.