Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khorus

RELEASED; A World in Strife: Raiding the Dam

AWS: Raid is now finished!

Check further down the post for screens.

Download

/idgames (Text file seems a little messed up.)

Note that Vavoom and SVStrife are no longer supported due to both having quite severe gameplay issues, Vavoom not supporting Voodoo dolls which are required to finish the map and both not supporting the soundtrack, I couldn't figure out why Vavoom wouldn't play the mp3s. Oh well. It should work on eternity and Doomsday should they ever get a strife implementation. So for now play in your favourite Zdoom derivative. I didn't disable crouching, but you can break the progression of the map in at least one point if you use it so I recommend that you don't. ;)

I hope someone enjoys the wad and/or music. Feel free to leave comments ask questions etc.

320kbps Soundtrack (optional)

Mirror 1 Media Fire

Mirror 2 DRD Team files

The music in the wad is 128kbps mp3 for filesize.

What started out as going to be a small strife map I'd spend a week on before the next big project wound up taking as long as the last project. Which was big. D:

It was a lot of fun working with the strife resources, it's a great texture set with a load of untapped gameplay options. I really hope some other people release some projects for the game. And not just some shitty DM maps or gameplay alterations like a certain ZDoom multiplayer port's community is fixated on.

Big thanks to my usual chums (kristus, dsm and liberation) for putting up with my constant map updates and minor track alterations as well as Super Jamie for a 110% testing effort. :)

So what's next for me? Prepare for more SP_ROCK1.

-----------------------------------------------

Decided to do a strife map before getting into the next Base Ganymede episode. Should be Is of reasonable size. Limit Removing.

Composing a soundtrack for the map in mp3. It's a System Shock 2 style system where there is silence for most of the time, but music will interject in certain areas to help keep things interesting and add atmosphere etc.

Map (1024 grid) Updated 10/3/10. You can nearly fit an entire megawad in there now!

WIP page here.

walter confalonieri said:

looks all this 512 grid maps are been fashionable this year, ah?

He's not saying the map is 512x512 large. He says the grid size shown in the map view is 512x512 to give you an idea of the size of the map.

kristus said:

He's not saying the map is 512x512 large. He says the grid size shown in the map view is 512x512 to give you an idea of the size of the map.

ok

Looks cool. I've been thinking about doing a strife map but it'd probably end up like some HR2 map with strife monsters and some crazy storyline that makes no sense.

Dear Diary,

Much progress has been made. I have edited the first post with new screenage, including a new map shot!

The Programmer Designer

walter confalonieri said:

looks all this 512 grid maps are been fashionable this year, ah?

512 units constitutes a "reasonably sized" map to you? :p

Super Jamie said:

*hyperventilates*

Very much looking forward to this. Strife ftw.

Thanks. Yes, Strife pwns, and working with it is alot of fun too. So much colour. :D

I'm not dead, and neither is the wad. Quite the opposite, it's flying along. So much for it being that "small, inbetween projects project" though.

Obligatory map stats;

sidedefs: 10114
sectors: 750
things: 652

And of course updated the map shot.

Limit removing? Which port do you test it for? ZDoom? In fact, does Strife1.exe crash? I think I read that it has limits higher than Doom.exe...

I test with G/ZDoom, Vavoom and svstrife. Yes, some limits are higher, VPO is 200 for example.

Finally. I've been waiting for awhile to see a decent Strife map. I hope it turns out successful.

OP is updated with a new screenshot and the obligatory map shot.

I'm also composing an mp3 soundtrack for the map. It's a System Shock 2 style system where there is silence for most of the time, but music will interject in certain areas to help keep things interesting and add atmosphere etc.

@Peanut: Thanks. :)

Finished another music track yesterday (4 tracks total now) and about halfway through the level design. A note on the music; if you're going to use svstrife, you'll hear silence instead of a music track. It doesn't seem to complain about it being there, just does nothing with it. I am still debating whether or not to use normal strife tracks or my own though.

Had a tester run through it yesterday, they gave some great feedback and a good response.

mapshot updated and some map stats;

sectors: 940
sidedefs: 13496
things: 776

Another update. I've finished the composition of all the music, just gotta finish mixing (my headphones have been shipped off for warranty for the last month though so that's on hold. Might get them back next week if I'm lucky... D:). The map isn't that far from finishing, a couple more sections then it's into testing and fine tuning. Not too far now. :)

OP is updated with a current map shot and a new screen.

Stats;

sectors: 1273
sidedefs: 19653
things: 985

Well, I've finished a majority of the construction and gameplay, just final touches left there. Testing is all that remains now. :)

The music in the wad is 128kbps for the sake of download size, but I'm planning on seperate download with 320kbps when I can find a somewhat permanent host.

And as usual, a new map shot.

A World in Strife: Raiding the Dam is now finished!

Check OP for /idgames link to the wad download as well as an optional 320kbps version of the soundtrack.

Enjoy. :)

Awesome, I'm downloading this right now and will give feedback later once I play through the whole thing.

Thanks for the positive feedback. :)

Gez said:

Mirror 1? Would you care for a mirror 2 then? :)

Thanks, I appreciate that. :) Was going have some other temp upload site links but I ran out of energy.

Well play it and up ended up beating it at skill 2(heh I suck at Strife -_-;). It was a fun large map with very good original music(the last song before the end of the level reminds of something from Halo). My only beef about it was that it was very hard for me to hit the Programmer boss at a distance so I had to force myself enable freelook.

Also I loled at the "end' map.

I am trying to record a UV Max demo though I keep getting owned by the Inquisitor. I suck at fighting those things ;_;

I love how much better you have to learn the Strife enemies' attacks, strengths and weaknesses to do well in this map. Even on Skill 4 the IWAD is not very hard, this level taxes the player's skill a lot more.

Will keep trying :)

Super Jamie said:

I am trying to record a UV Max demo though I keep getting owned by the Inquisitor. I suck at fighting those things ;_;

Just use the Assault rifle on them.

Philnemba said:

Well play it and up ended up beating it at skill 2(heh I suck at Strife -_-;). It was a fun large map with very good original music(the last song before the end of the level reminds of something from Halo). My only beef about it was that it was very hard for me to hit the Programmer boss at a distance so I had to force myself enable freelook.

Also I loled at the "end' map.

Thanks. Hm, he should have been right in your face at skill 2. Skill 3 he's in the middle and on 4 he's right on the ledge at the other side. But yeah, that'd be a much tougher fight without being able to have full control over aim.

Heh, I had to be a little creative with the end seeing as there is no stat screen and I didn't just want people to be sent to the abandoned front base with no clue.

Super Jamie said:

I love how much better you have to learn the Strife enemies' attacks, strengths and weaknesses to do well in this map. Even on Skill 4 the IWAD is not very hard, this level taxes the player's skill a lot more.

Will keep trying :)

Thanks, that'd be great to see. :) Pretty much what kristus said, if you don't have the mauler use the assault rifle and keep moving.

I enjoyed this. The world simply doesn't have enough Strife levels and this goes some way to redressing the balance. As Super Jamie said, it's a good opportunity to learn the Strife enemies and how to deal with them and I think that it held together well and it is a nice fun level to play. And, yes, the use of music is worth mentioning as it was very good.

Khorus said:

Thanks, that'd be great to see. :) Pretty much what kristus said, if you don't have the mauler use the assault rifle and keep moving.

I've gone back to savegames for now, though the Inquisitors are the only parts I die at. Also with three of them in the map plus the Programmer, I don't like my chances ;)

Even so, this is a rad map!

Someone else on idgames commented how it feels like the original Strife mapping even though the gameplay is totally different. I agree and I think that's a huge compliment to get too, I've always thought Strife's mapping is way better than Doom's and most pwads.

I love what you did with the town, especially the little inset pipes and goop, that looks great. Also the staircase with the quarter circles of enemies as you descend was a really fun fight.