Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Oscar season movie chit-chat

This is a discussion about current movies being released, or other movies that you're looking forward to or whatever anyone cares to talk about movie-related.

Some movies that seem worth mentioning as possible prompts for discussion.

The Lovely Bones
Invictus
Up In The Air
Precious
The Blind Side

My point of reference:
rottentomatoes.com

The Lovely Bones is getting mixed reviews cause PJ likes to go crazy with the flight of fancy special effects.

Clint Eastwood... now he's the man. As much as PJ is an inspiration and the man... Clint Eastwood.. this guy.. he doesn't get enough adulation. The guy was born in 1930. That makes him 79. Yet he churns out like a movie a year. And they are generally always good or very good. Guy deserves mad props. I just think it's so cool that someone can make their greatest cinematic contribution so late in life.

The guy's made 6 films in the last 5 years and is currently filming another as I write this.
Invictus (2009)
Gran Torino (2008)
Changeling (2008)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
Flags of Our Fathers (2006)
Million Dollar Baby (2004)

In other news, The Hobbit may be delayed until 2012. :(

Oh man, I forgot Guillermo del Torro was directing it. I love his style. I also heard they're redoing the worgs to make them more wolf-like.

Danarchy said:

Oh man, I forgot Guillermo del Torro was directing it. I love his style. I also heard they're redoing the worgs to make them more wolf-like.

oh? that'd be good. They were too Hyena like in LOTR... one of the few things I wasn't crazy about.

Meh! Oscars. Just another example of actors and celebrity types being elevated to a level above your average human in the eyes of the public despite the fact all they are doing is the same as anyone else.

What are the Oscars? Just an industry specific award ceremony, that's what. People in an industry patting each other on the back for doing their job well (as if these chumps didn't get enough reward already in their pay packet). It's no different in principle to "milkman of the year", "welder of the year", "fireman of the year". Yet the public tune in in their masses and accord the ceremonies far more importance than they justify.

And the stupid categories get so specific that it becomes ridiculous: "And the award for best doorstep delivery by a female of a single bottle of milk on a week day morning to a detached house with a front garden path in a suburban area goes to..."

Suffice to say, I'll not be tuning in and I don't give a rat's ass who wins. It's all predetermined "awards for the boys" anyway. :P

Enjay said:
Meh! Oscars.

Well said. Looking back at my "great movie" and "waste of time" lists on the other thread, I'm convinced there are more Oscar winners and nominees among the latter than the former.

Enjay said:

Meh! Oscars.

ennio morricone: still 0 regular oscars. nothing says 'the academy is a bunch of useless ignorants' better.

dew said:

ennio morricone: still 0 regular oscars. nothing says 'the academy is a bunch of useless ignorants' better.

I love ennio morricone. "The Mission" is some fantastic music.

Enjay said:

Meh! Oscars. Just another example of actors and celebrity types being elevated to a level above your average human in the eyes of the public despite the fact all they are doing is the same as anyone else.

What are the Oscars? Just an industry specific award ceremony, that's what. People in an industry patting each other on the back for doing their job well (as if these chumps didn't get enough reward already in their pay packet). It's no different in principle to "milkman of the year", "welder of the year", "fireman of the year". Yet the public tune in in their masses and accord the ceremonies far more importance than they justify.

And the stupid categories get so specific that it becomes ridiculous: "And the award for best doorstep delivery by a female of a single bottle of milk on a week day morning to a detached house with a front garden path in a suburban area goes to..."

Suffice to say, I'll not be tuning in and I don't give a rat's ass who wins. It's all predetermined "awards for the boys" anyway. :P

ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT / THE OSCARS

Initial reviews for Avatar are positive! I predict it will end up at 82% by the time the dust settles.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

An epic film born entirely of Cameron’s imagination, Avatar uses tailor-made technology to create the
most astonishing visual effects yet seen on screen and blends them seamlessly into a mythical sci-fi story. 

Visplane Overflow said:

Of all the shit they did to LotR in the films, that's the thing that you didn't like?

well it coincides with Aragorn's little trip off the cliff....

dew said:

How about "Jerry Goldsmith: 1 oscar"?

rf` said:

ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT / THE OSCARS

Needs 2 further dissertations. One should be an expansion featuring additional material, the other should be defensive responses to critique.

anyone seen the fantastic mr. fox? Everyone I ask about it says it's great/awesome. Saw it tonight but I thought it was a little too tongue in cheek. It was kinda cool tho and funny at parts.

Lüt said:

Needs 2 further dissertations. One should be an expansion featuring additional material, the other should be defensive responses to critique.

So we've been in the business of expanding Enjay's title for so long that there is now an official rubric?

The only movie I've seen that's been released this year was Inglorious Basterds. Decent, but would've been far better without Brad Pitt. The guy can't fucking act, I don't get why he keeps getting work. "Hey, I can kind of fake an accent, hire me!" The problem might be with me though, after watching Come and See, every movie I've seen since has completely paled in comparison. It's hard to match the sheer horror and emotion of that movie, it's beautiful in a horrible way.

Jello said:

I don't get why he keeps getting work.

Hollywood has the same policy as modern game designers: if it looks pretty it'll make money. Actually being a good product is irrelevant. :(

Increasingly I've been watching movies from countries other than the US. They tend to be much better IMO. They even have actors who look like real people and who can act. What a strange concept.

Ha, just admit it, guys, Brad's so sexy he makes people envious. Like when a girl does really well at work and people start assuming she did the boss because she's attractive.

There's shitty cinema in pretty much any country, and I've seen great stuff from quite a variety of places, both mainstream and independent. Other countries have their own little "Hollywood" as well, with overproduced junk and stereotypical actors. I know mine does.