• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolwyn

COOP Multiplayer - Which Port?

I've tried:

Doomsday
PRBoom-Plus
Chocolate Doom (nice for testing, but software mode-ugh)

Which OpenGL port has stable multiplayer for coop game-type?

I'm on an internal network and PRBoom-Plus sucked. I've had 9600 baud games back in 1995 that were smooth as silk.

Even Doomsday 1.8.6 isn't that great.

With today's 2mbps up/down being as easy to find as pouring piss out of a boot, which port (for coop play, opengl) is the best for multiplayer (coop) ?

Probably Skulltag, or if you don't mind setting things up via command line/external program, GZDoom.

Skulltag is the answer you're looking for. It's the only port out there that has both true client/server multiplayer and opengl.

Agreed with WildWeasel, SkullTag is ACTUALLY your best bet:
+It has choice of Software or OpenGL BEFORE opening.
+Has Online and Offline Multiplayer*
+Runs great and offers new items for DM's that add interest, like Minigun for Second-Slot 4 weapon, Grenade Launcher in Second-5 slot, Railgun in Second-6 slot and BFG10k in Second-7 slot.
+In Multiplayer mode (Both On and Off) you can have Bots to go up against, and quite interesting to watch to die if you do Summon commands (Do not use Friend summon, they won't attack bots).

And those new weapons are based from Quake, but who cares as long as they make everything more challenging.

AlexMax said:

Skulltag is the answer you're looking for. It's the only port out there that has both true client/server multiplayer and opengl.

Wrong. Doomsday has been client/server pretty much from day one and also features an OpenGL renderer.

AlexMax said:

Doom Legacy has client/server (although it's very shitty) and has OpenGL.

The original poster already stated he's tried Doomsday, presumably failed, or else he likely wouldn't be asking.

DaniJ's reply wasn't to the OP. It was to AlexMax's statement.

Skulltag is fine if you just want to casually play some co-op.

I prefer GZDoom for serious play though, much more consistent.

GhostlyDeath said:

Indeed. Latency higher than 60ms makes for a very annoying game. Cannot recommend Legacy.

Hey Mike,

Would you care to explain why do you find GZDoom superior to ST for co-op ? I usually use GZDoom for SP and ST for co-op, but find myself frustrated as the best pings I can get are in the 80ish range, which is already a bit jerky.

AlexMax said:

I agree. It got the best Cooperative support out there. (Survival is my favorite way to play coop)

GhostlyDeath said:

It's not shitty. It's actually really good. But it's not made for online gaming. It was designed for LAN. Which it does better than Skulltag I might add.

Phml said:

Hey Mike,

Would you care to explain why do you find GZDoom superior to ST for co-op ? I usually use GZDoom for SP and ST for co-op, but find myself frustrated as the best pings I can get are in the 80ish range, which is already a bit jerky.

Unlike Skulltag, GZDoom/ZDoom are not client/server based. If someone lags, everybody does, but because of that, you do not miss a beat. No teleporting monsters or anything silly like that. I find it frustrating when a cyberdemon shoots a rocket at you and you don't even realize it until you're dead because of lag.

Not to say skulltag is bad, with good ping and stable connections it's fine, but I prefer ZDoom/GZDoom.

I was actually thinking of starting up a couple of cooperative skulltag servers. I used to leave an Alien Vendetta and a Hell Revealed server up, and I remember the Alien vendetta server actually rotated through all 32 maps a few times in a couple weeks.

kristus said:

It's not shitty. It's actually really good. But it's not made for online gaming. It was designed for LAN. Which it does better than Skulltag I might add.

You are quite right. Last time I had the luxury of playing doom on LAN, I used legacy, and it was fantastic.

Unlike Skulltag, GZDoom/ZDoom are not client/server based. If someone lags, everybody does, but because of that, you do not miss a beat. No teleporting monsters or anything silly like that. I find it frustrating when a cyberdemon shoots a rocket at you and you don't even realize it until you're dead because of lag.

I see, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

I know that Doomsday is in development in their 1.9.x series and the developers even state openly that MP needs work, and they will get to it.

1.8.6 does work pretty good, but even then, it's got some synch issues.

I'm not badmouthing any port, and will look at Skulltag for MP goodness.

kristus said:

Another port that got CS and OpenGL is Vavoom. Just putting it out there.

I never really much thought of Vavoom as a multiplayer engine, hell i never really used it. Maybe I'll give that a shot and host up a game, see if i can get anybody playing. I've had a couple skulltag coop servers up for a couple of days now, doesn't seem like anyone is making use of them.

kristus said:

If you play on them. People will join.

Actually, without me even really playing at all, the Hell Revealed server has already rotated through about 42 maps.

Mike.Reiner said:

What did you do to make you're posts REALLY fucking annoying?

Pissed off Bloodshedder with his constant trolling. (See, eg, the 16th birthday thread)

chungy said:

Pissed off Bloodshedder with his constant trolling. (See, eg, the 16th birthday thread)

It's irritated me enough that I've disabled Javascript on Doomworld so that I no longer have to see it (Also useful for making Post Hell readable.)

Mike.Reiner said:

Skulltag is fine if you just want to casually play some co-op.

I prefer GZDoom for serious play though, much more consistent.

Indeed. Latency higher than 60ms makes for a very annoying game. Cannot recommend Legacy.

You can also split screen co-op in Legacy which makes it worthwhile if you don't feel like playing online.

...The hell did all these client/server implementations come from? Are these only for LAN play? Do they support modern conveniences such as master server communication and somesuch?

AlexMax said:

Do they support modern conveniences such as master server communication and somesuch?

Vavoom, and Doomsday do. Doom Legacy used to awhile ago before the servers went down.

Kagemaru_H said:

You can also split screen co-op in Legacy which makes it worthwhile if you don't feel like playing online.

Back in 2003 I did that a lot with a buddy of mine, we shared a single keyboard. So glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Mike.Reiner said:

Back in 2003 I did that a lot with a buddy of mine, we shared a single keyboard. So glad I don't have to do that anymore.

You could also hook up two keyboards and two mice or use a gamepad/joystick for the second player.

Kagemaru_H said:

You could also hook up two keyboards and two mice or use a gamepad/joystick for the second player.

The 2nd mouse and to be serial, but even then still didn't work for us, and legacys gamepad support was pretty pathetic so that wasn't an option.

Kagemaru_H said:

Heh I remember the time when me and my stepbrother playing coop on Doom Legacy with me using the keyboard and him using the joystick. Good times til he moved but afterward I discover skulltag :D