Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Someone needs to fix this.

<!--Please DO NOT add videogames, videogame consoles, concerts, movie, TV or album releases, as they WILL be deleted-->

Gez said:

<!--Please DO NOT add videogames, videogame consoles, concerts, movie, TV or album releases, as they WILL be deleted-->

While generally I would agree with this because I don't need to see a lot of this stuff when I go to Wikipedia. Some things like Mario, Zelda, (and Doom, of course) should be given recognition and a freebie to bypass the rules.

I love DOOM but I agree with that policy. All of the things mentioned there are far more important than DOOM being released. Especially Human Rights Day.

There was a celebration when doom was released wasn't it? I remember reading about the server host being down due to so much traffic or something.

As far as "rage against Wikipedia" goes, there are much more valid reasons than this one. Doom was groundbreaking at its time, but it has no historic value outside of the video game field: it's not "first computer game ever", or "first multiplayer game ever", and not even "first FPS ever"...

The other events that are listed there are the kind of things that would get on the frontpage of newspapers at the time (<insert disclaimer about newspapers in 1508 and 1520>). Doom... didn't. And wouldn't. Even today, video game release don't make it to the frontpage of generalist newspapers.

And why would video game deserve an exception when movies or novels don't? I don't think anybody here who thinks Doom should be mentioned would think the same about, say, the first publication date of À la recherche du temps perdu.

Wikipedia becomes more and more irrelevant? Maybe; but putting Doom's anniversary on its frontpage would increase this irrelevancy, not decrease it.

I guess this is how the guys are venting their anger at the cacowards not appearing yet...

myk said:

I love DOOM but I agree with that policy. All of the things mentioned there are far more important than DOOM being released. Especially Human Rights Day.

Pfft, human rights. Doom is way more important in history =P