Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom Turns Sixteen

Holy shit, ravage got a Cacoward? STOP THE PRESSES!

</bad joke>

Seriously, congrats to all the winners. Having played most (if not all) of the winning wads myself (and having personally reviewed at least one winner), I can agree to the awesomeness of these wads.

Here's to another year of Doom greatness!

Yay Doom. 16 years old. The age where you argue with your parents a lot and storm out to listen to dashboard confessional in your beat up truck when things get really heated. Also you're old enough to get a job now, so...get on with it.

Also great job to all the cacoward recipients this year :)

Heh, T667 got WWA?

I could never understand the reason to detail the hell out of a level where you will breeze past parts of the map minutes later.

Mr. Chris said:

Heh, T667 got WWA?

I could never understand the reason to detail the hell out of a level where you will breeze past parts of the map minutes later.

The award for the detail guide is about ugly detail and a focus on detail at the expense of learning anything else, not because Scuba is trying to say that detailing maps is pointless or any such thing. Actually read the article :P

I'm surprised by the lack of the motto, "More frags, more fun!" (Especially with the Asian guy in the six flags commercials that says exactly that!)

A shame about YEDS not going the distance 3 years in a row, but I still take credit for, and know why UDMX got a Cacoward. It's because my face was in it, map30. Just as map30 of 32in24-7 had my face. It's official, if you put my picture on map30 of any wad, you will win a Cacoward.

Bloodshedder said:

This year, we are proud to present The 16th Annual Cacowards. Also, please don't take the logo image as a stab against Asians. I'm sure Scuba Steve didn't mean it that way.

I am offended by your stereotyping of my culture, you must aporogize at once.

Worst Wad is pure f*cking gold.
Anyhow, I'm so glad wads like NDCP2, WOS and Tribute won a Caco! Also, I'm happy GVH wasn't forgotten between UDMX and GW2, and won an actual award.

Good job everyone, happy birthday Doom! now go get your driver's license.

While the overall selection is certainly appropriate I'm really surprised that Scythe X isn't even mentioned, not even as runner up. For me this one was a sure bet for a winner...

I think the reason Scythe X wasn't included was because Erik stated he planned to continue developing it with more episodes in the future, and Scuba as a general rule doesn't want to award the same wad multiple times.

There was similar internal debate over whether the Eternal Doom 4 demo should have been awarded last year, but it was given the award after considering how long it'd take for the rest of the mapslots to be filled.

Some sort of mention would have been good, though...<_<

Congratulations Mechadon!

Although I must say, I feel somewhat slighted. 2009 was the year I finished my magnificent opus that makes the Sistine Chapel look like something a stupid idiot would make, Buddies!

Of course I jest, great awards and great job everyone involved.

Khorus said:

Pity that Ultimate NMD didn't make it, but there are some other nice wads up there anyway.

Thanks Scuba + Co.

It would have deserved it but in the end it was just the third episode that was new. And let's face it: The winners are really all better than NMD.

I dunno. It does what it set out to do flawlessly. While these projects are more ambitious, many have some glaring flaws.

Happy birthday Doom !

Good Cacoward article, although I would have expected Claustrophobia 1024 to be awarded. On one hand, NDCP 2 was cool but plagued with bugs ( I recall map 02 was unplayable ) and had a few really weak maps, and on the other hand 1024Clau was superbly designed, polished, and imho far superior, or at least, more deserving of recognition.
Oh well, that's where tastes differ I suppose. :)
There were lots of good wads released this year, guess it was pretty hard to make a choice.

About Dwango5 not being played anymore, well, there are other ports than Skulltag out there :o

Congrats to the winners, props to the team, and thanks to the community which is keeping this wonderful game alive !

No mention of me anywhere? UNACCEPTABLU D:

Congrats to all winnars and something something...

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
well, there are other ports than Skulltag out there :o

LIES!

Yay! Happy birthday doom! Seeing this list makes me realize that I I've missed out on alot of good things this year... but there were so many! Congratulations to another wonderful year of doom and its communal pride!

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
Happy birthday Doom !
[...] On one hand, NDCP 2 was cool but plagued with bugs ( I recall map 02 was unplayable ) [...]

Yeah, who ever made that map should be shot! (oh wait, that was me :P) Unfortunately at the time of release I had no idea what was wrong with the map. It was thanks to entryway that I found out what the problem was... after the release. Basically I forgot to tag some scrolling textures and I tested in Z-Doom.(to the best of my knowledge, the bug worked like this --->) Z-Doom auto-generates scrollers for each line, so since the tag was defaulted to 0, it generated a scroller for each line on the map untagged! I am still kicking my self over this.

I am hoping to "patch" my map, and any other problems in the mega-wad some time soon though.

Doom Marine said:

I am offended by your stereotyping of my culture, you must aporogize at once.

Yeah well I'm pretty offended by your driving. :V

Mechadon, sincere congratulations dude. Thoroughly deserving of mapper of the year.

Yaaaaay!!

And congrats to the Cacoward team. There are a number of wads that i haven't played that won awards, so I guess I know which wads I'll be playing for the next few weeks.

I have just been reading through Tormentors detailing guide, and seriously, it hardly deserves a worst wad award, when there were plenty of genuinely crap actual wads floating around. Even if new mappers do overdetail their wads and even if it is because of this guide, then the worst wad award should go directly to the noob maps themselves, and not to the guide.

Assuming that you have a good sense of map design and space and texture use, this guide could be pretty helpful, in its place.

That and I don't think that not using this guide would save any of the crap maps it might have created.

BTW, where are said crap maps? Links please! Without an actual example this award is a bit fishy.

Congratulations to Mechadon for his award. He really has earned it.

Also, in b4 massed amounts of GvH haters.

That said, Happy Birthday DooM!