Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Defining the decade [Csonicgo said it sucks]

YES.

Seriously. There's the 60's, with its hippies. The 70s, with it's massive boat cars and sepiatones. the 80s with its hair metal. the 90s, with its hip-hop and internets. And then there's the 00s, with its... Bush? A shitty version of the 90s? I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE.

This guy wrote it better than I could. A Decade So Bad, It Didn’t Even Have a Name And No One Even Knows It’s Ending

My beef is, nothing really "stayed". We had shit like the internet becoming mainstream. Homestar Runner, then American Idol shit, blah blah blah.. but that wasn't very universal as the 80s! or even the 90s! what's happened to us??

I guess the name of this decade will be "Who cares"?

in b4 William Hung

Mr. Freeze said:

Everything was better when we were kids, right?

YEAH WE HAD THE FUCKING McRIB

Wait.

That sucked too!

At least Madballs didn't. Hell yes.

This is the decade that brought us affordable broadband internet, Deus Ex, the Playstation 2, Youtube, the movie Idiocracy, really tiny cell phones that can browse the Internet, wi-fi hotspots, Ubuntu Linux, netbooks, and toasters that can print Jesus on your bread. I don't think this decade is a bust at all.

As a child of music and animation, I agree that this decade was lacking in some ways.

Eurodance was left behind in the 90's, and so were many good metal bands. Emo and grindcore came in and sunk into the mainstream, somehow making the previous reigning nu-metal genre seem glorious in comparison.

Cartoons, which represented all schools of animation in the 90's, were hijacked almost as soon as the ball dropped, and almost everything became anime, Americanime, and bad CGI / Flash.

Some things were good in the 00's, too:

- YouTube
- Wikipedia
- video games
- MP3 players
- Internet shopping

2010 looks like it can be promising. Aqua has reunited, so maybe they'll bring back Eurodance. Mainstream CGI has, in general, improved to a point where artists seem more focused on style again, and not just attempting photo realism.

The bad things will hopefully not be forgotten (so as to not repeat them much) but good things usually take time to show their light. I know there were some good movies, and some political events were not bad. The world is starting to show some more plurality, for example, leaving behind a more black and white vision that got burnt out midway with bullshit like the war on terror and the haughtiness of the western financial system.

If you asked people about the 70s during the early 80s they would probably have similar sentiments. Afterall, the 70s was when the counterculture of the late 60s went mainstream, and the cultural revolution envisioned by the 60s youth fizzled out. Everyone grew up and realized that "peace and love" weren't going to pay the bills. Musically, to paraphrase Starostin, all of the "groundbreaking" acts of the 70s were really underground bands in the late 60s that hit big. Seriously, look up the bands you remember as "70s" bands and you will find that at least 75% had put out records before 1970.

I think most of the readership here can only clearly remember the turn from the 90s to the 00s, which I think was a much bigger deal than other decades rolling over (being the millenium and all). Plus, it is much easier to pick the "defining" moment of a decade ten years later, when you can compare what things had staying power, and how things had changed.

Also, don't discount the influence of the internet on this decade. While it started to become prevalent in the 90s, it was still largely a toy with only promises of what was to come. Remember that 2000 ended with the internet bubble crash, where there were some viewpoints that the internet had been an overhyped academic tool. It took the rest of the decade for services such as Google, Youtube, Facebook, and the like to make the internet as much of a cultural resource as television or movies.

EDIT: And back to the music, the crumbling of the obsolete and leviathan record industry has seriously inhibited new music from reaching the mainstream. Instead of trying to innovate and produce a better product model that people would still be willing to pay for, the record companies instead decided to pump out homogenous garbage as fast as possible, pissing away any long term potential for reconstruction in favor of short term profits. When the next music business model emerges (and it will) we will probably see a burst of creativity that will rival the late 60s in changing the face of the "popular" music genres.

That said, you can still find great bands if you look hard enough, it is just that they are not putting with the mainstream record industry. Two examples I am fond of are Agalloch and Jesu.

Csonicgo said:

YES.

Seriously. There's the 60's, with its hippies. The 70s, with it's massive boat cars and sepiatones. the 80s with its hair metal. the 90s, with its hip-hop and internets. And then there's the 00s, with its... Bush? A shitty version of the 90s? I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE.

This guy wrote it better than I could. A Decade So Bad, It Didn’t Even Have a Name And No One Even Knows It’s Ending

My beef is, nothing really "stayed". We had shit like the internet becoming mainstream. Homestar Runner, then American Idol shit, blah blah blah.. but that wasn't very universal as the 80s! or even the 90s! what's happened to us??

I guess the name of this decade will be "Who cares"?

in b4 William Hung

The Aughts of the 21'st century will be the only thing it's called. :)

Probably the "Reality Show Age", is my guess.

Bush the worst thing? Nope. Not Obama, either. If Carter, or Nixon were presedents during the aughts, those would tie for tops.

Some people call it the Noughties...well I guess there's plenty of people who've been naughty this decade...

Plenty of good things (eg. the growth of the internet into the world's biggest meeting place and knowledge base, travel becoming more accessible) and some bad (eg. the rise of reality TV, the resulting death of the gameshow, the general homogenisation of mainstream music, games and TV) but the feeling I get from this decade is that it will be remembered as the last decade of free society, as the long process of removing that began at the start of it but won't be fully effective until the next.

Dr. Zin said:

EDIT: And back to the music, the crumbling of the obsolete and leviathan record industry has seriously inhibited new music from reaching the mainstream. Instead of trying to innovate and produce a better product model that people would still be willing to pay for, the record companies instead decided to pump out homogenous garbage as fast as possible, pissing away any long term potential for reconstruction in favor of short term profits.

Even I like a bit of 80's and 90's pop...the 00's couldn't fail any harder (even to the point where I'd rather listen to 70's stations than modern ones during the day, and I used to hate anything older than me). Meanwhile the underground continues to grow and grow, new artists and genres emerging all the time and spreading around the globe thanks to the internet (best radio ever) and advances in music production (anyone can make tunes at home nowadays with a bit of software).

When the next music business model emerges (and it will) we will probably see a burst of creativity that will rival the late 60s in changing the face of the "popular" music genres.

Not if the major labels have it all their own way...

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Not if the major labels have it all their own way...

When all is said and done I don't think there will be ANY labels. At least not in the sense of a middleman between the artist and the audience.

September 11th, Dubya, the war on terrorism and the Iraq war

Gordon Brown and the financial crisis we will probably spend the next 10 years recovering from

Pete Doherty, Autotune and a whole heap of shit music.

Emos and chavs. The idiotic fashion for guys wearing girls jeans pulled half way up their thighs.

Reality TV and Jade Goody. The Star Wars prequel trilogy

Dan Brown and JK Rowling

Web 2.0, Windows Vista

This is what this decade will be remembered for.

fraggle you mention web 2.0 and Windows Vista, but how about the return to prominence for the Mac? OSX, mac books, ipods, and other Apple products EXPLODED into the 00s when they were basically left for dead in the 90s.

Musically, this decade marked a huge change for how music is recorded, with many people creating their own virtual studios at home (which has resulted in a lot of new, weird music that you wouldn't have likely heard if people had to pay $60/hr to record)

Also remember, Windows XP came out in 2001, and lasted us almost to the end of the decade as the OS of choice.

Doom Marine said:

If this decade was actually worth remembering, I wouldn't have to scroll to the right.

Yeah, wtf happened to this page?

Anyway, I guess we are more open minded? Like, with all of the people coming out of the closet and what not. But my least favorite is all of the Emo kids. Jesus Christ I go to school with a bunch of tools.

GreyGhost said:
I'm going to wait another year before writing off this decade.

Same as the millennium, it depends on when you start. The 2000s obviously end at the end of this year; after that it'll be the 2010s. However, the 1st decade lasted from the beginning of 1 to the end of 10, so the 201st decade started at the beginning of 2001 and will last until the end of 2010.

Which would make your party one year late and thus, quite lame.

kristus said:

It's the decade that brought us "Nu metal". "I'MK CLOSE ENOUGH TO DA EDGANABOUTOBREAKYEAH!"

Note: Most of that happened during the late 90s. At least its main thrust to popularity.

CODOR said:
However, the 1st decade lasted from the beginning of 1 to the end of 10,

Let me complicate things a bit...

Just think in astronomical years and consider 1 BC to be year 0. Years are arbitrary and all we have is points in time, and we can choose to conveniently count years according to what point they start with in a per-year reference to "instant 0." Instants 0, 1, 2 and so on start and define years 0, 1, 2 and so on. Just say year 0 was that year in which the baby Jesus, not yet able to kill any kittens, was in Mary's womb, up to "instant 1," where he was born :p

Naming the year according to the birth of Christ was seriously considered only over 500 years after the event, and applied more generally about 200 years after that. We really started the '00 to '09 trend because it coincides nicely with our decimal notation in Arabic numerals, widely adopted in Europe only at the close of the middle-ages with the printing press, and giving us uniform tens. This was thus done when the calendar was already well-established, and has little to do with ancient history so even if we want to use the BC/AC system, which we may require for historical purposes, it won't hurt to give the "first decade," either way, only 9 years. Each does, after all, need to have 9 years to make sense mathematically, if you want to use the 0-9 format.

Music really did take a nosedive. I can't list any innovative acts that came out since 2000 aside from maybe Battles and a couple side-projects. Most new music I like is from bands that got their start in the 80s or 90s.

I found the stuff I like, it's just all made by people who have been around since the 90s.

Danarchy said:

Most new music I like is from bands that got their start in the 80s or 90s.

I've noticed that too. Of course most of the bands I listen to are of the industrial/EBM genre which came to rise during the late 70s to early 80s. The following bands I listen to released at least 1 new album sometime during the past decade:

Front 242
Front Line Assembly
KMFDM
Ministry
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
Nine Inch Nails (hardly qualifies as "industrial", I know)
Revolting Cocks
Skinny Puppy

I guess finding my musical niche with bands like that partially satisfies my psychological need to bring the 80s back into my life, which is when I started being a kid. Maybe I miss my childhood...

myk said:

Let me complicate things a bit...

Just think in astronomical years and consider 1 BC to be year 0. Years are arbitrary and all we have is points in time, and we can choose to conveniently count years according to what point they start with in a per-year reference to "instant 0." Instants 0, 1, 2 and so on start and define years 0, 1, 2 and so on. Just say year 0 was that year in which the baby Jesus, not yet able to kill any kittens, was in Mary's womb, up to "instant 1," where he was born :p

<pedantry>The beginning of the Julian and Gregorian calendar (1AD) is meant to symbolize Jesus's death, not when he was (supposedly) born.<pedantry>

Also, what the fuck is up with csonicgo's posts? That is the lamest product of website moderating I've ever seen.

No, it's the lame addition to CSG's title, forcing everyone to scroll right to read his postings.

Also, I think the 00s had good and bad so it's a mixed bag..

Good: Web shopping, video games, music

Bad: 9/11, Twilight, excessive IP/copyright enforcement, music, this stupid-ass occupation in Iraq, reality TV