Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Where does Doom 64 take place?

I looked it up. I can't find it on Wikipedia or Doom.Wikia. Its probably something I overlooked or no one knows. Where does Doom 64 take place? I am meaning a location like the moon, Phobos, Mars, Earth, Hell or so on. Not answers like it takes place in my N64 or at a space station :-)

Thanks in advance

I believe it takes place on Earth than eventually goes to Hell (Map 09 I think is the first map to be in Hell).

there seems to be a lot more maps in hell in this game. maybe they wanted to try and show that hell is a lot bigger than it was shown to be in doom 1 and 2.

PRIMEVAL said:

I believe it takes place on Earth than eventually goes to Hell (Map 09 I think is the first map to be in Hell).

Why would Earth need a terraformer?

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Gez said:

Heh

Gez said:

What do you mean? Large parts of earth could use a good terraforming now! So probably even more so in the future, when we have destroyed everything through global warming/cooling/solar flare/population explosion/war/famine/pestilence/me not having a date in the last 12 months/terrorism/alien invasion/not washing behind your ears/the second coming/demonic plague/other real or imaginary terror/people making detailing guides for Doom/religious jihad/stock market collapse/nuclear exchange/etc etc.

:P

My guess is Phobos or Mars.

Because its said in the game story that to wipe out the aliens / demons radiation was used. It interfered with sensors, so they were all thought to be killed when it really made them stronger, which is why everything looks different.

Here's the plot:
Following the conclusion of the original Doom series, the sole Marine who survived the horrors of hell had returned to Earth, reclaiming it from the invasion that almost eradicated the human race. Demons still lingered within the abandoned halls and complexes of Phobos and Deimos. As a last-ditch effort, the military decided to bombard the moons with extreme radiation in hopes of killing off any remaining demons. Initially it was successful, however something survived the exposure. The extreme radiation blocked the military's sensors and allowed something to slip past them undetected. Now the demons have returned, their corpses revived and strengthened. Hell's forces have been rebuilt and are stronger than ever. A Marine strikeforce was ordered to contain the advancing armies of hell but was mercilessly slaughtered within moments. You, the sole survivor of the last invasion, managed to slip past hell's guards. Once again, it is you versus the legions of hell and this time, it is time to finish it once and for all.

So Phobos or Deimos?

What Geo said.

The whole premise of Doom 64 is as a sequel to Doom II. You return to Mars to finish what the UAC started. In this respect, It could be argued that Doom 64 is the true Doom 3 (I just know I'm gonna get a mass of hate mail for that). My reckoning is that D64 takes place in a previously unexplored area of the Phobos facility, hence the need for a terraformer, hence the sky in E1 of D1 appearing to have an atnmosphere (I'm using Aliens logic there).

Still, whatever way you look at it, it's just another reason for MERCILESS EXTERMINATION! :P

scalliano said:

You return to Mars to finish what the UAC started. In this respect, It could be argued that Doom 64 is the true Doom 3

I thought Doom 3 was intended to be a remake of Doom 1, more so than the sequel to Doom 2.

40oz said:

I thought Doom 3 was intended to be a remake of Doom 1, more so than the sequel to Doom 2.

I think his point is that Doom 3 would be its own story while Doom 64 follows Doom 2 on the timeline.

scalliano said:

It could be argued that Doom 64 is the true Doom 3 (I just know I'm gonna get a mass of hate mail for that).

Nope, I agree with you 100%

Of course Doom 64 is the true sequil to Doom 2.

Maybe its on Mars considering it needs a terraformer. Who would look to terraform Phobos or Deimos or any moon for that matter?

Mars was never explored before Doom 3.

Let's check the manual.

classicdoom.com said:

The Past...

Your fatigue was enormous, the price for encountering pure evil. Hell was a place no mortal was meant to experience. Stupid military doctors: their tests and treatments, were of little help. In the end, what did it matter - it was all classified and sealed. The nightmares continued. Demons, so many Demons; relentless, pouring through.

Far Away...

The planetary policy was clear. An absolute quarantine was guaranteed by apocalyptic levels of radiation. The empty dark corridors stand motionless, abandoned. The installations sealed.

The Present...

A long forgotten relay satellite barely executing, decayed by years of bombarding neutrons, activates and sends its final message to Earth. The satellites message was horrific, from the planetary void there came energy signatures unlike anything sampled before.

The classified archives are opened. The military episodes code named "DOOM" were not actually completed. A single entity with vast rejuvenation powers, masked by the extreme radiation levels, escaped detection. In its crippled state, it systematically altered decaying dead carnage back into corrupted living tissue.

The mutations are devastating. The Demons have returned even stronger and more vicious than before. As the only experienced survivor of the DOOM episode, your commission is re-activated. Your assignment is clear: MERCILESS EXTERMINATION.

Two things seem definite:
* The game doesn't take place on Earth.
* The setting is somewhere demons have fought humans before.

Deimos is floating 'round hell last we heard, so the only possibilities seem to be Phobos, the moon of Jupiter that Evilution started on, and Mars.

Phobos is the first place that comes to mind. This game's story refers to the episodes code-named DOOM, which is probably a tongue-in-cheek reference to the episodes of the original game. Problem is, Phobos is tiny. It's already a tight squeeze fitting the locations from Knee-Deep in the Dead on the surface, and adding Doom 64's maps is like building a city on a golf ball. I guess the D64 facilities could also be a reimaginings of the Ep. 1 facilities, though.

A Jovian moon is more plausible. There's plenty of room on the bigger ones. Not much to say here.

Mars? Well, we know there we know some humans set up shop there, but the red planet is never mentioned again after the Doom manual. There's nothing saying that some demons didn't cruise down there after the Doomguy jumped through the gate and messed shit up, but nothing saying they did, either. However, the D64 story does say "planetary," and Mars is the only planet among the candidates.

I dunno. I'd guess Phobos was the intent, despite the size issue. It's almost like the D64 devs were more concerned about making fun maps than stuff like story continuity...

Splatter said:

I dunno. I'd guess Phobos was the intent, despite the size issue. It's almost like the D64 devs were more concerned about making fun maps than stuff like story continuity...

I refer you to the Lost Episodes of Doom, the third episode of which takes place inside Jupiter's Giant Red Spot, a physical impossibility since Jupiter doesn't have a solid surface. I see no harm in a bit of artistic licence.

geo said:

Maybe its on Mars considering it needs a terraformer. Who would look to terraform Phobos or Deimos or any moon for that matter?

Actually there's more potentially habitable moons in our solar system than there are planets. If you were to list the top 5 most likely places we could establish colonies in our solar system, the list would be Mars and 4 moons. Venus is not even a consideration, and Mercury isn't very likely either. It's almost as hot as Venus, has no atmosphere, and receives ludicrous amounts of radiation since it's so close to the sun. Then you have the gas giants, and as someone already mentioned, they don't even have a solid surface, at least not in the way most people understand what a solid is.

Also, point of interest, some of the moons in our solar system are bigger than Mercury.

Quite honestly, I like where this discussion has gone. It is very intelligent. I never knew there was a lost episode of Doom, but it makes sense. Although, I think that it was probably the first unofficial total conversion.

So to get up to speed:
- Earth would only need a terraformer to recover from smog or the affects of Hell on Earth
- Deimos is floating somewhere around Hell
- Phobos is possible, although it will collide into Mars in another million or so years
- Mars is likely
- Jupiter is not

What about Earth's moon as a location for Doom 64?

I am picturing Doom64's installations taking place on Phobos since this is where most of Doom's events takes place, especially since this is where the demons have mutated since the radiation. But then again, every time I look at the space sky and the blue-ish mountains and its cold color palette, it always reminds me of Phobos.

Wouldn't the monsters on Phobos have mutated from the fact that it was used as a toxic waste dump before it was a portal research lab? Wait, maybe that's what the monsters are. Not monsters, but personell mutated! They become enraged at "the coorporate system" from being mutated. When you the space marine come to them, you're seen as just another muscle from the man and that's why the mutated scum try to kill you :-)

Hell is a metaphore. Hell on Earth is as Aliens (4): Resurrection explains. No one wants to be back on Earth.