Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

The Game Creators offering DarkBASIC Professional for free.

I remember looking at a free/demo version of their software a few years ago when I was toying around with creating a point-and-click adventure.

Note the following though:

the only difference is that this version is supported by advertisements.

Planky said:

I remember looking at a free/demo version of their software a few years ago when I was toying around with creating a point-and-click adventure.

Note the following though:

The banner is so hidden its hard to notice at all, so I dont think anyone would mind. I took the liberty of taking a screenie to show you below.

chungy said:

BASIC in 2009?

Python's better in every way (even being legitimately free) :p

DarkBASIC Pro brings free rendering, physics and other tools for free as well as having DirectX acceleration all ready to be accessed from really simplistic commands. Its really quick to make a game with the tool.

Isn't there a PyGame library for Python that takes care of most of that as well? Also, I think Python has the advantage of being cross-platform as well, which is always a plus for an indie developer.

I wouldn't call that Ad hidden, but I'll download it and have a look around. Even if just to find out how to block the ad, heh.

It has been proven time and again that in the end, when you finally have to distribute your masterpiece with the power to RUN, you realize that you need to switch to a "real" programming language instead of scripting/game maker/fps maker tools, unless ofc you are OK with releasing a substandard looking and feeling POS that towers above Crysis 2 in system requirements.

If I had to release a game with the costraint of using a shitty, inefficient language, I'd go for Flash. At least it would greatly simplify animation, scripting, and would be ultra-portable (none wants to download DLLs and libraries anymore just to try out a game they might not even like).

avery1555 said:

DarkBASIC Pro brings free rendering, physics and other tools for free as well as having DirectX acceleration all ready to be accessed from really simplistic commands.

Almost all libraries are free(including DX). Also the commands in DarkBasic are just function calls to their free Dark GDK, which is probably just a wrapper around several free libraries. I'd recommend using that instead of some BASIC dialect with a crap IDE.

I tried Darkbasic once, so frustrating...

Also the box promised "results in minutes", these "results in minutes" featured telling you how to OPEN A FILE THEY HAD MADE AND RUN IT.

When i started making a game of my own i had to constantly post on thier forums because apparently 0,0,0 and 0,0,-1000 were the same location, turned out i had not done some completley non-obvious extra bit of code

Then i tried to put a MIDI in my game and it made the background turn into a HOM and everything run at insane speed, for no apparent reason (no changes made to any other code, used the "play midi" LINE of code from the examples).