Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowsnow4free

Evil Dead/Army of Darkness WAD

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Doomworld forums and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've been trying to play the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness WAD for DOOM, but I haven't had much success.

I got the WAD files here:

http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Army_of_Darkness_Doom

I tried adding the WAD/DEH files to the Chocolate DOOM directory as well as adding the lines "chocolate-doom -merge aoddoom2.wad -deh aoddoom2.deh" to the CMDLINE file, but it didn't work. I keep getting this error: "Game mode indeterminate. No IWAD file was found. Try specifying one with the '-iwad' command line parameter" I tried that too and it didn't work.

I also tried playing this game in Risen3D, and it played, but there are random pillars throughout the level, and I can't proceed.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Make sure that there's a copy of "DOOM.WAD" in your Chocolate Doom directory and then use this command line:

chocolate-doom -merge aoddoom2.wad -deh aoddoom2.deh -iwad doom.wad

Creaphis said:

Make sure that there's a copy of "DOOM.WAD" in your Chocolate Doom directory and then use this command line:

chocolate-doom -merge aoddoom2.wad -deh aoddoom2.deh -iwad doom.wad

Okay, tried that, but it still starts up DOOM (not AOD).

It's an Ultimate DOOM WAD... would that have anything to do with it?

Hm. Looking at the wiki page, it looks like two different versions of Army of Darkness Doom were released, one for Doom 1, and one for Doom 2. If you've downloaded the Doom 1 edition, then run it with this command line:

chocolate-doom -merge aoddoom1.wad -deh aoddoom1.deh -iwad doom.wad

instead of the one posted above. Then, remember to select the second or third episode from the new game menu to play new maps - selecting the first episode will just give you Knee Deep in the Dead.

Creaphis said:

Hm. Looking at the wiki page, it looks like two different versions of Army of Darkness Doom were released, one for Doom 1, and one for Doom 2. If you've downloaded the Doom 1 edition, then run it with this command line:

chocolate-doom -merge aoddoom1.wad -deh aoddoom1.deh -iwad doom.wad

instead of the one posted above. Then, remember to select the second or third episode from the new game menu to play new maps - selecting the first episode will just give you Knee Deep in the Dead.

I tried it with Doom 1 and Doom 2; it doesn't start Army of Darkness. Instead it starts Doom 1 or Doom 2 (respectively)

I added the code to the bottom of the "CMDLINE.txt" file; is that where I should put the "chocolate-doom -merge aoddoom1.wad -deh aoddoom1.deh -iwad doom.wad" line?

Make a shortcut to chocolate-doom.exe. Right-click on this shortcut, and then click "properties." Under the "shortcut" tab there is a "Target:" box. Leave whatever text is currently in the "Target:" box, but to the end, add "-merge aoddoom1.wad -deh aoddoom1.deh -iwad doom.wad" without the quotes. Click OK. Double-click on this shortcut to play Army of Darkness Doom.

Damn kids! Back in my day we didn't even have command lines. We had to punch holes in cards to load Doom wads ...

Patrick said:

Damn kids! Back in my day we didn't even have command lines. We had to punch holes in cards to load Doom wads ...

Of course, those wads were horrible anyway. It was all circles and squares... And only eight different textures.

Creaphis said:

Make a shortcut to chocolate-doom.exe. Right-click on this shortcut, and then click "properties." Under the "shortcut" tab there is a "Target:" box. Leave whatever text is currently in the "Target:" box, but to the end, add "-merge aoddoom1.wad -deh aoddoom1.deh -iwad doom.wad" without the quotes. Click OK. Double-click on this shortcut to play Army of Darkness Doom.

So in the "Target" box it should say:

"C:\...\Chocolate Doom\chocolate-doom.exe"-merge aoddoom1.wad -deh aoddoom1.deh -iwad doom.wad

I tried that, but windows keeps giving me an error:

"The name ... specified in the target box is not valid..."

I'm running Vista; not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I got it now!

I made a .CMD file in the Chocolate Doom directory and it works now!

The .CMD file has the "chocolate-doom -merge aoddoom2.wad -deh aoddoom2.deh" commands in it.

Thanks!

yellowsnow4free said:

"C:\...\Chocolate Doom\chocolate-doom.exe"-merge aoddoom1.wad -deh aoddoom1.deh -iwad doom.wad

This would have worked with a space before -merge. I didn't think to make that explicit.

You have a very peculiar subset of knowledge. You know about Doomworld, about source ports, about semi-obscure pwads, about the Chocolate Doom wiki, and even about making CMD files, but not about wad loading?

Making CMD files is an interesting tactic, by the way. When most of us need to type command lines directly we'll edit shortcuts or use the command prompt. (To get to it in XP, click start -> all programs -> accessories -> command prompt. I don't know where it is in Vista.)

Creaphis said:

This would have worked with a space before -merge. I didn't think to make that explicit.

You have a very peculiar subset of knowledge. You know about Doomworld, about source ports, about semi-obscure pwads, about the Chocolate Doom wiki, and even about making CMD files, but not about wad loading?

Making CMD files is an interesting tactic, by the way. When most of us need to type command lines directly we'll edit shortcuts or use the command prompt. (To get to it in XP, click start -> all programs -> accessories -> command prompt. I don't know where it is in Vista.)

Yup, the space made it work.

As for my subset of knowledge, your guess is as good as mine. I'm pretty good at Google, that's how I found most of this info. But I guess it just comes down to is that I've never loaded anything except for the original Doom wads... oh well.

Thanks for all your help BTW!