Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Good megawad + weapon mod combos

What megawads do you play from start to finish with a weapon mod loaded, and have an absolute blast doing so?

The first time I played Whispers of Satan, I played through maps 1-30 with Xaser's Psychic (didn't find any of the secret exits), which made the experience thoroughly enjoyable. Vile Flesh is also very good to play with custom weapons.

Can you guys recommend anything else?

I enjoy playing more "realistic" map sets with appropriately realistic weapon sets - TVR!.wad with Immoral Conduct SE, Hellcore 2.0 with Zero Tolerance, etc. For maps heavier on action like Deus Vult II and Hell Revealed, I tend to prefer arcadey weapon sets. SMWGuns works pretty well on Claustrophobia 1024, Psychic would probably fit Equinox pretty well.

Play Drown in Blood with Aeons of Death. You would be surprised with how great the game is even without those overpowered weapons which comes with DiB...

Of all the weapon mods I played, they were all severely overpowered and left an awfully bad taste in my mouth. I'm convinced that unless a weapon's mod is only a slightly modified doom arsenal it will ultimately be bad.

I'm not trying to pick fights with weapon modders or anything it's just I don't like weapon mods.

Jimmy91 said:

What megawads do you play from start to finish with a weapon mod loaded, and have an absolute blast doing so?

None

Yeah, same. I've always wondered who even uses weapon mods (and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's the same people who make them). That said, I'm not categorically opposed to their use; in fact, I enjoy using non-default weapons, but what's more important to me is knowing that I'm playing a wad with the intended weapons, so as to avoid making the experience easier or harder than it should be. If the mapper actually suggests a specific weapon mod, then I'll probably use it.

There was a relatively-recent release for ZDoom that included an optional weapon mod, which I used... I don't have the foggiest clue what the project was called though or who made it. It had 6-9 levels, pretty good mp3 music, for some reason lots of slopes were backwards, ended with a too-easy spider mastermind showdown... any ideas?

Would it have been the Dark 7 mission pack? I recall that one included Cory Whittle's SiN weapons patch.

I enjoy doing a playthrough of Deus Vult using Aeons of Death. Makes it very interesting, although usually I fuck around when I'm doing that.

WildWeasel said:

Would it have been the Dark 7 mission pack? I recall that one included Cory Whittle's SiN weapons patch.

Oh yeah... definitely. I guess it wasn't all that recent.

I alwyas play doom level withi DooM 3 weapons mod.

It's great.

Really.

And it is NOT cheating.