Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Offut Air Force Base facing shutdown if Nelson doesn't approve Healthcare

myk said:

So, the conservatives (Republicans) are like Hitler now?

I'm asking because apparently they tried to scare people into thinking Obama would move the base to influence Nelson.

Republicans were the first, and the Dems beat them at their own game.

We need a good 3'rd party.

Scuba Steve said:

We will. We are going to help subsidize your rates.

Yeah, that'll really help him keep food in his stomach. Steve, not everyone wants a Government-mandated health care insurance scheme shoved down their throats. The Government should not have the power to legislate what services we are required to obtain. What's next, mandating that all Americans must have life insurance in case of untimely death, so that their funeral will be paid for? Where will the forced-participation legislation end? I'm not willing to be a slave to a corporate entity, even if it's backed by a ridiculous law.

I barely make $200 a week, I can't afford to live on my own, I sure can't afford to spend any of my money on a service I don't need, even with Government assistance I don't want.

If you want real health-care reform, do it, don't force people into services that WILL drive up costs in the long-run and overburned an already overtaxed health care system. Go ask your nearest RN or doctor how busy they are, they might smack you if they have the energy.

Also, I don't get why insurance companies should be forced to pay for somebody who has a pre-existing condition. Sorry, but people die, and wasting money just to try and make it feel all warm and fuzzy isn't the role of society. You've got to make some tough choices to maintain freedom. I do agree with capping out-of-pocket costs and trying to make insurance more affordable, but Government subsidization is frankly a terrifying prospect.

Naked Snake said:

Also, I don't get why insurance companies should be forced to pay for somebody who has a pre-existing condition. Sorry, but people die, and wasting money just to try and make it feel all warm and fuzzy isn't the role of society.

Always knew you were a sociopath.

Belial said:

Always knew you were a sociopath.

Nope, I'm just a realist. Like I said, it's a hard choice, but it's one that has to be made. Say a guy has AIDS and has for a while. Why should an insurance company be FORCED to pay for his treatment?

I always have to wonder if people who say things like that would feel the same if they were in that position. Many I've brought that up to can't even empathize with the hypothetical situation and it becomes abundantly clear why they feel the way they do in the first place.

It has a lot to do with empathy and compassion, and being able to have the expectation that everyone would do the same for you that you would do for them--and by that idea, I've noticed that the same people that don't expect special treatment from others are the ones that would never advocate offering any special treatment for anyone else. Kind of funny how that works.

I accept that you are a "realist," and maybe I'm just too much of an idealist myself, but I think that's frankly a kind of dickheaded approach on the social aspect of medicine. The one thing I'm most pessimistic about the whole situation is that although I do think the best thing for the advancement of society is to drop this "Out For Numero-Uno" attitude, especially in regard to social healthcare, I don't think it'll ever happen because the majority of people will never commit to that kind of altruism. Maybe it's just human nature, but shit's fucked up either way.

Naked Snake said:
Why should an insurance company be FORCED to pay for his treatment?

In a scenario where you have both a public and private option, that is understandable. Private companies offer their services without warranty. In one where the private sector takes care of what the state usually handles, not really. The same companies push against such a public option because they want a bigger piece of the pie. They're asking for this through lobbying, so there's no need to pity them. At least not more than the people that die or get poor out of not being eligible for accessible plans.

You are concerned about costs, and that is understandable, but are you sure it's going to be that much a problem? Your income is low. If the law is any good, your level of subsidization should be pretty high. The cost of suddenly needing health care may be very high if one then has to pay it all oneself. The policy of allowing people with medical histories to receive attention may benefit you, or a friend or relative of yours, because if whatever service you or they take in the future finds you or they have some condition that was acquired earlier, you're not left out in the cold or forced to mortgage your property.