Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

My First Speedrun [Map02]

Average time on nightmare movie speedrunning is just over the minute.
Gotta be honest with you 01:41 on skill 2 isn't any good at all.
And 78% kills is abit too high for a speedrun really..

You dont pick up the blue armor either in the secret either which you should. Download some demos of classic dooming v1.9 and load em up in prboom and see my point.

Good luck! :)

skogsto09 said:

Average time on nightmare movie speedrunning is just over the minute.
Gotta be honest with you 01:41 on skill 2 isn't any good at all.
And 78% kills is abit too high for a speedrun really..

You dont pick up the blue armor either in the secret either which you should. Download some demos of classic dooming v1.9 and load em up in prboom and see my point.

Good luck! :)

Ah, I see the secret teleport would have save a lot of time, I'm going to try a second time and post the results.

you're speeding so risk more. it's about dying and retrying. kill less monsters and just run past them. also, map02 is imo one of the hardest maps in the iwad. :)
anyways, gl and keep on trying.

dew said:

you're speeding so risk more. it's about dying and retrying. kill less monsters and just run past them. also, map02 is imo one of the hardest maps in the iwad. :)
anyways, gl and keep on trying.

I just improved =D got 1:27 and am uploading to YouTube now, thanks for all your tips guys, I bypassed more monsters and took the shortcut this time too. I'll make a post for the next speedrun.

Why do you play with +mlook ?, load original doom2 v1.9 in dosbox and play it that way. This one should be around 40secs in a speedrun...see if you can get it under the minute mark next time now.

good luck

You could eventually go for a COMPET-N record in that case, which requires the original.

You also have PrBoom and PrBoom+, that let you record (vanilla) compatible demos using high res or OpenGL rendering. These wouldn't could as "official" records but would give you the same behavior other people use in vanilla levels.

To play by yourself, any engine will do, since the only comparison is to your own demos, but once you exchange demos with others, it makes sense to use the same "rules" other people use, so that demos can be compared to each other and so that people measure your progress against what we're all most familiar with: Particularly vanilla and Boom behavior, which most existing demos use, depending on what the levels played require.

At first it may not be obvious how much the features and differences in different ports affect the game, but you'll start to note that speed running is much about details and subtleties. How the player slides against a wall, whether he picks a key up when bumping a pedestal, whether he kills the spiderdemon in one BFG shot or two, whether he can jump over monsters, whether autoaim is enabled, and other similar minor details, will all add up and make a difference when you're trying to beat a tight record by a few seconds. If the engines behave differently, records will be easier or harder in one or the other.