Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ultdoomer

Suggestion for non-vanilla demos [YouTube]

If you record a non-vanilla demo, it would be a good idea to upload it to YouTube. That way you don't need to have a bunch of different versions of ZDoom or whatever. Creating an account is free, so this shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.

ultdoomer said:

If you record a non-vanilla demo, it would be a good idea to upload it to YouTube. That way you don't need to have a bunch of different versions of ZDoom or whatever. Creating an account is free, so this shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.

I do this for my speedruns. I recommend to record your Dooming with Fraps, it costs a small fee, but you can upload in HD to YouTube with the tool.

It's not just vanilla that's widely used and unchanging, also Boom. ZDaemon, also, has a different format similar to Quake's that works in updated versions of the engine.

Your suggestion, for ZDoom and the like, is not necessarily bad although YouTube videos do look ugly compared to running a recording in the game and also require the use of a video capturing application.

But how can you record easily with prboom on Ubuntu, my machine is too slow to use record my screen? Are there any apps that would work on Linux?

Do you mean PrBoom's demo recording is too slow on your system, or that any screen capturing programs slow your computer down? If the latter, have you tried all these? What are your computer's specifications?

I can certainly record a demo in prboom, but I wish that prboom had a video recording feature like dosbox and darkplaces have. That is what I meant. I will try those apps out though.

SPECS.

Athlon XP 1800+ 1.5GHZ.
1.5GB RAM.
Ubuntu 9.04 Linux.
Kernel 2.6.31.5.

I do not use the 3D drivers.

That's wierd. Your computer seems more than capable of video recording. Do you have any resource hungry processes running in the background? Are all your drivers, your OS, screen capturing software up-to-date? There might have been some performance issues that got fixed.

What happens if you record the demo with PrBoom first and then record the video in the format of your choice? This would be the way to go, because you could submit your demos to the Doomed Speed Demos Archive and also share the videos with those who do not own Doom.

Hopefully you will find a solution to your problem. I look forward to seeing some of your demos. Happy speedrunning.