Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alando1

Why expect perfection?

myk said:

If people are indeed abused and can't speak up about it in some way, they might leave, when perhaps they had a good deal of potential to offer the community.

And to that I say tough titties.

You know what, you guys are definitely correct. I tell you after my father passed away, I do admit I became a little over reactive.

Like a year after that event, I also had to sell my house which adds more fuel to the fire. But I can definitely say that I will do my best to "man up" a little more.

Really, after thinking over the replies stated in this thread, you all are quite right that I just have to fight the negativity and move on. Prior to the mayhem I faced in my life, I know I couldn't care less how people liked my stuff (i.e. Alandoguns).

But I have to say I became weaker after I literally went to Hell and back; emotionally and physically. Really, it is very hard to overcome two horrible events and try and concentrate on creating something. But if I look at what went wrong with my wads (After the mayhem), it's like that horrible feeling I felt during those situations kinda got mixed in with my wads.

So I will do my very best to just forget about those SOB's who want to piss me off. I am going to go on listening to the true Doomers out there that have good words of advice to help me better my creations.

Plus you guys wont be seeing these silly little threads about reviews anymore, LOL.

If any of you guys want to help me work on getting the kinks out of my wads, I'd really appreciate it. As I mentioned in my previous reply, my father originally was my play-tester and if anyone would like, I'd appreciate a volunteer or volunteers to play-test a wad I may be working on.

Use3D said:
And to that I say tough titties.

By my post above I mean that, while I do encourage users to attain a sense of personal security, as a mod I'm not necessarily against threads which raise such issues, as long as they're reasonably consequent and responsible. Most issues and conflicts are solved best when various parties take a degree of responsibility, not when one takes all the heat. The onus is neither on authors nor criticism; it's about us becoming confident authors and competent critics, which are compatible aims.

alando1 said:

If any of you guys want to help me work on getting the kinks out of my wads, I'd really appreciate it. As I mentioned in my previous reply, my father originally was my play-tester and if anyone would like, I'd appreciate a volunteer or volunteers to play-test a wad I may be working on.

I'm sure there's plenty of people here who'd like to help you out any time.

myk said:

Most issues and conflicts are solved best when various parties take a degree of responsibility, not when one takes all the heat.

That's makes perfect sense, now if only this were a perfect world...

Use3D said:
That's makes perfect sense, now if only this were a perfect world...

We're working on it! It's arguable that if we are generally on the alert and both sensibly considerate yet sufficiently demanding to both authors and critics, and not just one, each side will feel encouraged to make it a better world or community. Being too lenient or harsh on either "whining" or "trolling" will encourage one to be bold while damaging the role of the other or urging them to eventually retaliate in a shady manner, hence neither is necessarily prohibited and each case may be judged somewhat differently.

This very thread, for example, appears to show some teamwork from the community; the exchanges, with some critical input along with some acknowledgments of what alando1 stated, allowed him to commit himself to be more mature, at least in principle, without driving him away.

Nomad said:

Is it an attainable life goal to have sex while playing doom?

Not only that, but to play Icon of Sin and have the end to both coincide.

myk said:

If people are indeed abused and can't speak up about it in some way, they might leave, when perhaps they had a good deal of potential to offer the community.

When I released my first couple of maps, they got some rather mediocre applasue and "These are all the bugs and why you shouldn't bother playing it" review, I wasn't downtrodden. At the time I released the map I was convinced that I was a simple but good mapper, and I didn't let that stop me from continuing to map. I just thought the reviewer clearly didn't know what he was talking about. Just see my contributions to 32in24-9. MAP19 and MAP41.