Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JadedLexi

Doom Screen Saver

I remember a screen saver that I had a while ago on an old PC that had Doom monsters go across the screen, does anyone know what I am talking about?

Do you mean this old thing?

(540x700 139k)

Nice little bit of nonsense that runs WAAAAAAAY to fast on anything from a Pentium 2 onwards. :(

GreyGhost said:

Do you mean this old thing?

He he, I have that. Even before the speed of modern machines broke it, it wasn't exactly the best bit of software. :)

There was a sourceport (Desktop Doom I think) that worked as a screensaver. When the saver activated, it played demos.

Enjay said:

There was a sourceport (Desktop Doom I think) that worked as a screensaver. When the saver activated, it played demos.

That's an awesome idea! How long ago was that? I wonder if anyone would ever adapt a modern port to do that. I hate screensavers, but this would be awesome.

The commercial screensaver shows up on eBay now and then, that's where I found my copy. As for DesktopDoom, the older version's the one to get if you want to watch demos, the newer version plays bot deathmatches.

Nomad said:

That's an awesome idea! How long ago was that? I wonder if anyone would ever adapt a modern port to do that. I hate screensavers, but this would be awesome.

Agreed. Nine years. DesktopDoom 2.0.57 used ZDoom as it's base. Agreed.

Is it possible to get DesktopDoom somewhere still? The DesktopDoom page is borked, and it doesn't seem to be in the archives...

cant seem to get desktop doom working. it starts up fine, but after that all it does is show the TITLEPIC and CREDIT images, like regular zdoom. when i try to do something by pressing a key it just exits...

Read the documentation in the DoomDesktop2/Documentation folder.

Works like a charm for me! I might have to whip up a couple maps for this. The default one is retarded. :D

ducon said:

Once I tried to run PrBoom with Xscreensaver, but it didn’t work.

It will work with Chocolate Doom, I put support into it for running under xscreensaver..