Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kristus

Chocolate Doom on GeForce

Since I updated to the (somewhat, I had to downgrade a bit just to get Quake and Quake2 to run again) latest GeForce 8800 drivers Chocolate Doom doesn't run very well for me anymore. The palette changing effects that occur when you get hurt and pick something up slows the game down to 1 fps or something.

The same thing happens when I try to run Vanilla/+ in Dosbox. I had this problem happen on occasion before with Vanilla/+ and Dosbox. But it was something I could fix by making sure that the Dosbox program ran fullscreen before running the game. But now it never works.

Anyway, anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with this? The only option I see right now is to downgrade my drivers to like last year or something.

kristus said:

Anyway, anyone got any suggestions on how to deal with this? The only option I see right now is to downgrade my drivers to like last year or something.

That probably is the only solution. Of course it will have a negative effect on more modern software.

I wonder if this should be reported to NVidia. At the moment paletted games just don't work well anymore with the current drivers. This goes for all software I have checked.

There's a good reason why ZDoom has ditched the paletted video mode and gone for D3D to get the images to the screen.

Why I do not have any issues? Chocolate and prboom-plus work perfectly for me. I have 8800GTS and the latest drivers.

Who knows?

I got the same problem on a GF 8600GT. It doesn't bother me too much though because it only affects programs I don't use on a regular basis.

Graf Zahl said:

Who knows?

If I do not have it with similar hardware, then problem is somewhere around: OS, version of SDL, SDL video driver, etc. I did not have palette slowdowns at all. Never. Do you have slowdowns with prboom-plus?

In PrBoom+ it's only very mild. Far worse is the hideous tearing artifacts. Is there any way to force vsync on?

But in Chocolate Doom it's terrible. Each time I pick something up the game freezes for a second.

It's also quite pronounced in ZDoom in pure software mode, albeit not nearly as bas as Chocolate Doom.

Graf Zahl said:

But in Chocolate Doom it's terrible. Each time I pick something up the game freezes for a second.

you can try video_driver "windib" or video_driver "directx" in cfg

btw, I think 'directx' will be removed in next versions of SDL

fraggle said:

I think this has been fixed? Perhaps you could try exp(x)'s SVN builds?

Seems I still had the broken version. With this DLL it works fine in DirectX mode.

Graf Zahl said:

Far worse is the hideous tearing artifacts. Is there any way to force vsync on?

What do you have in cfg for 'use_doublebuffer'? It's 1 by default and:

if (use_doublebuffer)
  init_flags = SDL_DOUBLEBUF;
if ( desired_fullscreen )
  init_flags |= SDL_FULLSCREEN;
screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(SCREENWIDTH, SCREENHEIGHT, V_GetNumPixelBits(), init_flags);
And SDL has
if ( (flags&SDL_DOUBLEBUF) == SDL_DOUBLEBUF ) {
	/* Use hardware surfaces when double-buffering */
	flags |= SDL_HWSURFACE;
}

Makes no difference. The tearing artifacts are still there. Doesn't SDL have an option to set vertical sync? Without that there's no chance of it ever running decently on my monitor.

Graf Zahl said:

Makes no difference. The tearing artifacts are still there. Doesn't SDL have an option to set vertical sync? Without that there's no chance of it ever running decently on my monitor.

I think SDL_DOUBLEBUF == vsync for software

For GL I use
SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL, (gl_vsync ? 1 : 0));

entryway said:

I think SDL_DOUBLEBUF == vsync for software

Apparently not. It just seems to do what the name implies but nothing more.

Graf Zahl said:

Apparently not. It just seems to do what the name implies but nothing more.

How about sdl_videodriver "directx" ?

Sources says:

if ( (screen->flags & SDL_DOUBLEBUF) == SDL_DOUBLEBUF ) {
	SDL_VideoDevice *this  = current_video;
	return(video->FlipHWSurface(this, SDL_VideoSurface));
} else {
	SDL_UpdateRect(screen, 0, 0, 0, 0);
}

static int DX5_FlipHWSurface(_THIS, SDL_Surface *surface)
{
	HRESULT result;
	LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE3 dd_surface;

dd_surface = surface->hwdata->dd_surface;

/* to prevent big slowdown on fast computers, wait here instead of driver ring 0 code */
	/* Dmitry Yakimov (ftech@tula.net) */
	while(IDirectDrawSurface3_GetFlipStatus(dd_surface, DDGBS_ISBLTDONE) == DDERR_WASSTILLDRAWING);

result = IDirectDrawSurface3_Flip(dd_surface, NULL, DDFLIP_WAIT);
	if ( result == DDERR_SURFACELOST ) {
		result = IDirectDrawSurface3_Restore(
						surface->hwdata->dd_surface);
		while(IDirectDrawSurface3_GetFlipStatus(dd_surface, DDGBS_ISBLTDONE) == DDERR_WASSTILLDRAWING);
		result = IDirectDrawSurface3_Flip(dd_surface, NULL, DDFLIP_WAIT);
	}
	if ( result != DD_OK ) {
		SetDDerror("DirectDrawSurface3::Flip", result);
		return(-1);
	}
	return(0);
}
and
device->FlipHWSurface = NULL;
for windib

SDL\TODO:
* Explicit vertical retrace wait (maybe separate from SDL_Flip?)

kristus said:

Since I updated to the (somewhat, I had to downgrade a bit just to get Quake and Quake2 to run again) latest GeForce 8800 drivers

PLEASE tell me which drivers you are using.
I have an 8800 as well and would like to have Quake 2's opengl back.

@ kristus & Mike

This might help!

I was looking up info on my other favorite id Tech 2 driven game and found this news item second story down titled ”Kingpin Problems With Latest Video Cards“.

Basically this program nHancer lets you tinker a little deeper with nVidia’s game profiles. Once sufficiently tinkered you can close nHancer and launch the game where the nVidia drivers read the game profile and adjust its settings accordingly.

It seems to work for most people. Let me know if it works for you since I don’t have the hardware...yet.

Speaking of Quake 2, if you're looking for a vanilla option, I'd check out the Unofficial Quake II 3.23 patch (on the same site as the KMQuake2 enhanced port >_>). Fixes many things, including launching on the latest NVIDIA drivers (which have too long of an OpenGL feature set string and thus, crashed Quake 2)

chungy said:

Speaking of Quake 2, if you're looking for a vanilla option, I'd check out the Unofficial Quake II 3.23 patch (on the same site as the KMQuake2 enhanced port >_>). Fixes many things, including launching on the latest NVIDIA drivers (which have too long of an OpenGL feature set string and thus, crashed Quake 2)

Ah, YES. Thank you very much. I didn't like KMQ2 because for some reason it would always start the game with all the enemies dead. Now I've got a mostly vanilla game with widescreen support, excellent.

HackNeyed said:

@ kristus & Mike

This might help!

I was looking up info on my other favorite id Tech 2 driven game and found this news item second story down titled ”Kingpin Problems With Latest Video Cards“.

Basically this program nHancer lets you tinker a little deeper with nVidia’s game profiles. Once sufficiently tinkered you can close nHancer and launch the game where the nVidia drivers read the game profile and adjust its settings accordingly.

It seems to work for most people. Let me know if it works for you since I don’t have the hardware...yet.

I'll keep this mind since the fix only applies to Quake II and not other Quake II based games. Thanks for the information.

Mike.Reiner said:

I'll keep this mind since the fix only applies to Quake II and not other Quake II based games. Thanks for the information.

Surely you mean 'the fix you needed only applies to Quake II' and not that the nHancer program only works for Quake II. The link I gave mentions it fixing Kingpin: Life of Crime (Quake II) based engine. The second link in that news item shows a topic where by the 5th post it is said to fix problems with Call of Duty and United Offensive which are even id Tech 3 (Quake III) based engines. Though it doesn't seem to work or work fully for everybody hence my concern.

HackNeyed said:

Surely you mean 'the fix you needed only applies to Quake II' and not that the nHancer program only works for Quake II. The link I gave mentions it fixing Kingpin: Life of Crime (Quake II) based engine. The second link in that news item shows a topic where by the 5th post it is said to fix problems with Call of Duty and United Offensive which are even id Tech 3 (Quake III) based engines. Though it doesn't seem to work or work fully for everybody hence my concern.

Correct. You'll have to excuse me, it appears I didn't get my thoughts down into text correctly.

I will keep the fix you posted in mind, since the Quake II 3.23 patch only applies to Quake II and not other games based on the same engine.

The drivers I got were from around this summer. IIRC they were from august. But I am not at home and can't check exact version numbers. But I just tried different versions until it worked. :p

I'm having a similar problem because when I try to run chocolate doom the palette is messed up completely. I run Windows 7 x64 if that helps.

Necros20 said:

I'm having a similar problem because when I try to run chocolate doom the palette is messed up completely. I run Windows 7 x64 if that helps.

Does it happen with my svn builds? They use a newer SDL.dll.

Necros20 said:

Tried r1791 and yes, unfortunately it still does.

Have you tried using both DirectX and Windows GDI video drivers? You can easily toggle between these via Chocolate Setup's display settings.

Graf Zahl said:

That probably is the only solution. Of course it will have a negative effect on more modern software.

I wonder if this should be reported to NVidia. At the moment paletted games just don't work well anymore with the current drivers. This goes for all software I have checked.

There's a good reason why ZDoom has ditched the paletted video mode and gone for D3D to get the images to the screen.

I'll take it that that iz3d driver will work with ZDoom?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mudweYKciog