Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Possible new gameplay mechanic from Doom dream

So the other night, I had this Doom-related dream that really made me think. Basically, I was playing Doom 3, but I wasn't alone - there was a squad of marines accompanying me. Now I know what most people would think, having a squad would kill the atmosphere, but there was a twist. All of them had been possessed, they just hadn't turned yet. I needed their help, but at any point, any one of them could flip out and put a rocket in my back. Their semi-psychotic ramblings also really added to the atmosphere. Like one guy said there were coils around his brain, and he kept going on about how he could feel the coils tightening whenever he got stressed. The whole thing also made boss battles especially tense, because I had to completely focus on the boss, preventing me from keeping an eye on my squad members. I dunno, maybe in actuality, it wouldn't work out, but it certainly seemed like something that would be really cool for Doom 4 or something.

That actually reminds me of the game The Thing (kind of a quasi sequel game to the Kurt Russel movie) I remember having moments like that in that game where one minute one of my guys is freaking the hell out when he sees one of the things to the point that we enter a new building and he just becomes this large nightmareish monster (and he had the flamethrower...)

But Now that you mention it having a refined squad mechanic like that in doom 3 would be awesome pretty much take the squad AI from quake 4 refine it to make it better and then put in the thing mechanic and then there would be a pretty darn good game.

since the whole mechanic was based on "trust" and "fear" like how much the ai trusted you and you trusted them, hand them a crappy weapon and take a big gun for your self was considered that you didn't trust them ,do a blood test on your self and not them raises their trust because they know your still human, and if trust went to zero or fear went to zero you had a MAJOR problem on your hands

now seeing this in future doom game with possibly the same level of fear and pacing of dead space that would be awesome IMO

This actually sounds like a pretty awesome idea. It would definitely fit a "survival/horror" type game. I normally hate squad based games, but that might be pretty cool.

And @azureace I always heard good things about The Thing and should probably check it out some time. :P

now that i mention thing and thought about it there was a level editor for the PC version and just located it with a few user levels one of which is a Doom themed one so I'll review it and get back at yall with the details

I played a lot of "The Thing" It is pretty oldschool, (Though I am on a Doom forum, for crying out loud.) but it was really good. Very tense and scary. I really felt the isolation factor of being out in the snow with a bunch of really nasty monsters, and with squad members who could go psycho. It was freaky, and it was a pretty unique game.

Also, I love this idea for a mod. Good good stuff!

This could also work in multiplayer. Players -- even you -- would randomly be taken out of control of their soldiers.

I once had a doom dream about a monster that was humanoid, but bright red and with blue blood, which was seeping out of dark blue scabs and scars. It could also rip out people's spines by the power of it's thoughts and was baron-tough.

I tried to re-create it in Doom, but it was basically an instakill arch-vile, which was no fun. Would be cool in 3D crikeyvision with friendly soldiers that could have thier spines pulled out slowly, while begging you to save them, mind.

well if we were to make this so it would work in multiplayer it would have to be like the betrayal at house on the hill (old avalon hill board game where mid way through a player became the bad guy and had his own objectives to finish then)

we could do something like that?

geekmarine said:
Now I know what most people would think, having a squad would kill the atmosphere, but there was a twist. All of them had been possessed, they just hadn't turned yet.

Ah, like The Rock in the DOOM movie!

More of less like playing coop with overly mischievous buddies that might unload their SSG on your back any point. Been there, done that.

myk said:

Ah, like The Rock in the DOOM movie!

More of less like playing coop with overly mischievous buddies that might unload their SSG on your back any point. Been there, done that.

I was about to say the same thing lol.

It could be a lot of fun, but something like this, imho, would only work in Doom 3 (maybe 4?). The classic doom just wouldn't be able to pull this off in my opinion.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

I'm getting Doom 3 on Wednesday

Damn, back in the day Santa only left a lump of coal.

Anyway, this is a surprisingly sweet gameplay idea. I'll have to give The Thing a try.

I guess the other thing to take into consideration here is the preemptive strike. If I knew that some of my squad will turn into monsters, then why not just kill them all before we start. Less risk. To counter this, you could make it that if the player shoots a squad member before they "turn", then the entire squad would turn on the player. Obviously if you are shooting squadmates, you yourself have become the monster.

Kyka said:

I guess the other thing to take into consideration here is the preemptive strike. If I knew that some of my squad will turn into monsters, then why not just kill them all before we start. Less risk. To counter this, you could make it that if the player shoots a squad member before they "turn", then the entire squad would turn on the player. Obviously if you are shooting squadmates, you yourself have become the monster.

Or, perhaps, there's a great reason NOT to kill them based on how difficult the session would be.
So, having 3 squadmates would make the round hard, instead of almost impossible as it would be alone.

That was also a mechanic from the thing shooting a uninfected member made the team turn on you and you ended up 9/10 dieing unless you took all their gear from them then took them out but after the first would fall the members would actually gang up on you and "steal" gear from you (cause you have to imagine that the character is carrying the weapons on slings on his back or in holsters not in some kind of time space void pocket...

unless thats a perk of demonic invasions every one gets null void pockets "yea lemme pull out my rocket launcher" "OH crap" "what?" "i think i just pulled out a piece of hell..." Or that was the "REAL" reason for the UAC's teleport experiments, the bottomless hole pocket..lol

azureace said:

unless thats a perk of demonic invasions every one gets null void pockets "yea lemme pull out my rocket launcher" "OH crap" "what?" "i think i just pulled out a piece of hell..." Or that was the "REAL" reason for the UAC's teleport experiments, the bottomless hole pocket..lol

UAC was secretly a wallet manufacturer.

"The Wallet so spacious, the devil himself designed it!"