Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnfulgor

Doombuilder: rooms on different levels

Hello all.
I'm using Doombuilder, after having watched the video tutorials.
Well I've created a room with a door, it works. Now I want to create another room on it, on a different level. I know I can change the ceil and floor heights of a sector.. but how can edit it when it's over another one? Is there a way to hide all the sectors beneath?
Thank you!

simple answer is this can't be done.
Doom is not full 3d, it is only 2.5D so you cannot have one room above another. eg:
|____|
|____| is not possible.
The more complicated answer is no you can't do this in bog standard vanilla doom but you can do it in more advanced source ports such as Eternity using portals or GZdoom using fake floors.
This is very complicated though and is not recomendable for a new mapper.

This kinda pissed me off when I found out about this. Is there any other engines/FPS creator's where its actual 3-D? I can't find any that are free.

You can edit for Half Life or Half Life 2 (if you own the games) for free using their editors which come bundled with the game. Doom3 came with its own editor as did Crysis (although both made it difficult to get to their editors) Farcry 2 came with an editor also but I have never tried it. Battlefield 2 had an editor but I think you had to download it.

PhilibusMo said:

You can edit for Half Life or Half Life 2 (if you own the games) for free using their editors which come bundled with the game. Doom3 came with its own editor as did Crysis (although both made it difficult to get to their editors) Farcry 2 came with an editor also but I have never tried it. Battlefield 2 had an editor but I think you had to download it.

Or if you want old-school and have Quake, Quake 2 or Quake 3, there's a pretty nice free editor called QuArK for them (and a bunch of other games using their engines).