Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

List your top ten favorite games.

I AM GOING TO LIST SERIES BECAUSE LISTING INDIVIDUAL GAMES IS DUMB

1. DooM
What else needs to be said? Still the greatest FPS ever made, Halo be damned.

2. Mario
Super Mario World was the first game I ever played. Super Mario 64 was the first game I ever had for the N64. This would all be nostalgia if it wasn't for the fact that the series is consistently fucking awesome.

3. Mass Effect
If I could live in any video game world, it would be this one. Amazing story and setting, great gameplay, and brilliant music make this series one of the best sci-fi games ever made.

4. Perfect Dark
My first experience with cyberpunk, and the ONLY game I played during 2000-2001. Goldeneye can go fuck itself, Perfect Dark is leagues ahead in every department. And who didn't love Elvis?

5. Sonic the Hedgehog
Although he's had some recent troubles, Sonic has always had a array of great titles. From the classic Genesis games to the criminally-underrated SA1-2 and Heroes, Sonic is still capable of kicking ass.

6. Rainbow Six
You think you're hot shit? Try beating Deep Magic on Elite difficulty. This series separates the Men from the Boys, and it isn't afraid to kick your ass for the slightest screwup. Mixing deep planning and tense gameplay, Rainbow Six is for the hardest of the hardcore. Too bad Vegas couldn't live up to the legendary earlier titles.

7. Gauntlet
THE best multiplayer series of all time. Slaying 100+ monsters with three friends never gets old, and the replayibility of Dark Legacy and Legends adds up to hundreds of hours of playtime.

8. Mortal Kombat
The entire series is great, but Trilogy solidifies the series' position as spectacular. If you didn't kill your best friends with a Fatality at least once, your childhood sucked.

Doom, Quake, Serious Sam TFE & TSE, World of goo, Quake 2, Unreal, UT, RtCW:ET, Doom 3, Frozen bubble…

In no particular order:

1. Doom ( All of them thusfar except for the handheld and cell phone ones because I don't have handhelds or a capable cellphone to play them ): )
2. Quake 1
3. TimeSplitters (All of them again)
4. Borderlands
5. Red Faction (All of them)
6. Killzone/2 (Never played the PSP one)
7. Saint's Row 2
8. Fallout 3: GOTY Edition
9. Cold Winter
10. Alien Trilogy

I can't place them in order.

Rome Total War
Doom
Halflife
CS:S
Left4Dead(1&2)
Team Fortress 2
Myth II SoulBlighter
Quake
BF1942
BF2
Have to add...

Eve Online

1. Doom, Doom 2
2. Heretic 1&2
3. Nitemare 3-D
4. Super Mario Bros 3
5. Strife
6. Rescue Rover
7. Hexen
8. Snarf
9. Quake I & II
10. Jetpack - old school

Way to suck up I know

Ah, Gauntlet. Glad someone brought that up. It's another honorable mention for me, but someday I'll have to find 3 people who'd play, particularly since I have four gamepads now and an emulator capable of running 4 players (Kega Fusion with TeamPlayer set up and Gauntlet 4). I'll also have to look into Legends for my N64, and Dark Legacy if I can get my hands on something capable of playing that.

1 Call of Duty 4
2 Call of Duty (org)
3 Quake 3 Arena
4 Sins of a Solar Empire
5 Doom
6 Modern Warfare 2
7 Paper Boy (NES)
8 Half life 2 (gravity gun!)
9 Zombies ate my nieghbors
0 NBA Jam

Doom II - Hell on Earth
Excellent game. I'm even one of the few who treasures the sequel more than the original. The sequel to the sequel (Doom3) was a good game, but it didn't manage to differentiate itself from other games in the genre (Railshooters)

Tie-Fighter
Right up there with Doom2 in brilliance. X-Wing also deserves honorable mention

Doom I
The list wouldn't be complete without this instant classic.

Dark Forces
A slightly overlooked shooter. They got the puzzle aspect right and managed to tell a mission-based story very nicely. The atmosphere was perfect and the music excellent.

Jedi Knight & Mysteries of the Sith
A fantastic followup to the classic and the mission pack was another hit. These, alongside Dark Forces, serve as a huge source of inspiration for my work on Doom 3: Phobos

BioForge
One of the most overlooked games ever. It's been on a few "Best games you've never played" lists. I remember one from gamespot. Anyone who has played this AND rtc will not be surprised to see it on my list :P

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
This game caught me by surprise and quickly became a favourite. The characters and story-telling were of another world.

Half-Life I
Excellent "game changing" game. I've wrongfully been mad at the game for all its "copycat copies", but one must realise that HL can't be blamed for that. The sequel kind of sucks, though, and is in my eyes not a worthy continuation of the HL universe.

StarCraft I
Excellent strategy game with a great story. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel.

Duke Nukem 3D
Awesome levels that actually looked like something. Excellent multiplayer.

9 of these games are from the 90s and only 1 from the 00s. They just don't make them like they used to.

spank said:

A SEVERED FUCKING ARM!

A hunk of meat!
An alien artifact!
A BOMB!

Subject must stay in bunk. Recuperation is mandatory!

Mr. Freeze said:

5. Sonic the Hedgehog
Although he's had some recent troubles, Sonic has always had a array of great titles. From the classic Genesis games to the criminally-underrated SA1-2 and Heroes, Sonic is still capable of kicking ass.

I completely agree. Most people draw the cut-off line for good sonic games after the classic Genesis games, but I am one of the few that actually enjoyed the Adventure series. Granted, I don't think they were as good as the originals, but they were pretty cool in their own way. After the adventure series is when I think Sonic severely sloped downhill.

In no particular order:

Doom
Blood
Rise of the Triad
Thief
AvP 1
Jedi Knight II/Academy
Carmageddon 1 or 2 (not ever, ever Carmageddon 3)
Half-Life 1
MDK
Quake 1

Also honorable are Minecraft and Fantastic Contraption.

Minecraft - Part Quake, Part Roguelike, All good.

Fantastic Contraption - gotta buy it one day.