Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyler23

DOOM artwork / concept sketches

Hi, I'm a new member.
I have a question that maybe was asked before, but i didn't read every single thread in this forum. So sorry if this is the case!

My question is: Are there any concept sketches or artwork existing which Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud made during DOOM and DOOM2 development?

In the Book of id you can see sketches from the Baron of Hell, the Cyberdemon and the Archvile.

I would love to see some of the others (Cacodemon,Revenant,Imp,Demon...) if they existing?

Have fun
Tyler23

It's not quite concept art, but you can see shots of some of the models used to make Doom monster sprites at John Romero's page.

Actually while we're here, what's this guy all aboot?

Splatter said:

It's not quite concept art, but you can see shots of some of the models used to make Doom monster sprites at John Romero's page.

Yes, i know these pics. I'm looking for artwork and stuff for quite a while and have all the pics from clay and latex models i could find on my hard drive. But there must be more.

Imp
Cacodemon
Pain Elemental
Lost Soul
Demon
Former Human
Heavy Weapon Dude

These monster sprites were all made from concept sketches.

Imp - Dunno
Cacodemon - It was not, it was ripped from a D&D book cover.
Pain Elemental - Was probably based off of the Caco and Spiderdemon sprites/model.
Lost Soul - Dunno
Demon - Dunno, but I bet there was a clay model for this one as well.
Former Human - Was made from the Player sprites, which were made from a clay model.
Heavy Weapon Dude - Probably same as above.

I also wanted to find sketches from other monsters a while ago, but I found nothing.

However, this one demon from the Doombuilder-Website still makes me wonder. Could it be a photograph of the demon clay/latex/whatever model?

As far as I remember, the HWD is based on the SS guy from Wolf3d and the Imp is based on the player sprites... I could be wrong tough.

MSPaintR0cks said:

However, this one demon from the Doombuilder-Website still makes me wonder. Could it be a photograph of the demon clay/latex/whatever model?

I think that is one of the lead miniatures made by Reaper figures. They made most (all?) of the Doom characters.

[edit]
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Reaper_Miniatures

40oz said:

Actually while we're here, what's this guy all aboot?

I've been wondering that pretty much ever since I first that on here. Perhaps he's a concept for the Former Sergeant?

Tyler23 said:

In the Book of id you can see sketches from the Baron of Hell, the Cyberdemon and the Archvile.

Enjay mentioned here that the Book of id's Arch-Vile picture is of a model. So is the pic this one by any chance? In case it isn't, I'd love it if someone took a photo of it or scanned it and posted a link to it here. Baron of Hell and Cyberdemon sketch scans are already available here, so there's no need to scan those.

Vader said:

As far as I remember, the HWD is based on the SS guy from Wolf3d and the Imp is based on the player sprites... I could be wrong tough.

They had the IMP in game before they had the player sprites. At least strictly visible speaking.

Janizdreg said:

Enjay mentioned here that the Book of id's Arch-Vile picture is of a model. So is the pic this one by any chance?

Yeah, that's the one.

Janizdreg said:

Enjay mentioned here that the Book of id's Arch-Vile picture is of a model. So is the pic this one by any chance? In case it isn't, I'd love it if someone took a photo of it or scanned it and posted a link to it here. Baron of Hell and Cyberdemon sketch scans are already available here, so there's no need to scan those.

There is a sketch from the archvile in the book of id:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2559/id011b.jpg

I think that is one of the lead miniatures made by Reaper figures

That's right!

Cacodemon - It was not, it was ripped from a D&D book cover.

I heared that before but i didn't knew if this is really true.
Have we got a picture from that book cover? I would like to see it.

Claymodels were made from the Cyberdemon,the DOOM-guy and the Baron of Hell by Adrian Carmack.

Latex/metal models were made from the Spider Mastermind,Revenant,Mancubus and the Archvile by Greg Punchatz.

Thanks for the replys so far!

Janizdreg said:

Cool! Thank you.
Yeah,looks very similar to the Caco.
Is it safe that id took their inspration from that pic?

It's a pretty safe bet. They actually played a campaign of the game just before developing Doom, the demon invasion of that campaign being a major influence on Doom.

kristus said:

Pain Elemental - Was probably based off of the Caco and Spiderdemon sprites/model.

Where do you find Spiderdemon on the Pain Elemental? I'm pretty sure those are Cyberdemon horns though.

kristus said:

Demon - Dunno, but I bet there was a clay model for this one as well.

I'd be convinced if this was made from scratch, I noticed that the demon's back and shoulders are cut and paste from the Hell Baron.

kristus said:

Heavy Weapon Dude - Probably same as above.

Quite obviously Hans Grosse legs and torso from Wolf3d, im pretty sure the angles were made from scratch. I remember around the time Spear of Destiny was release the id crew were still pretty interested in milking the wolf3d engine by making more map packs, they were probably doing various edits to existing wolf3d stuff, which might explain the high resulution wolf3d textures that landed in doom 2.

these are awesome, All these images will be useful for me when I make the 3d models of the monsters. will help the models be as accurate as possible

40oz said:

Where do you find Spiderdemon on the Pain Elemental? I'm pretty sure those are Cyberdemon horns though.

I expect the arms to come from the spider.

Do any concept sketches, or bits of fan art or... well anything really exist for the other Doom engined games? I'd love to see some higher resolution images of the various monsters or whatever from Heretic, Hexen and Strife.