Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Your name

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:
Now I have 19 and I noticed this name is really stupid.

Nah, too bad you didn't use it. It's like for a meatier Bamm-Bamm (from the Flintstones.)

Back in 9th grade (that would be a decade ago), I had my name written in all-caps on my notebook (DAN). Then my friend drew a circle around the A, and thus Danarchy was born. It's an infrequent nickname among friends, and I've been using it for so long and so often online that I get equal parts enraged and stumped when it gets taken. For years I was the #1 search result on Google Image Search, but apparently I've been supplanted recently.

My title is obvious. I need to change my title/avatar, possibly to something Doctor Who related.

Creaphis said:
By the way it's pronounced CREE-uh-FISS. I don't know how you guys are reading it.

I think "aphid" has affected my pronunciation, and thus I take it as Cree-AH-fis, but I guess Cree-AY-fis would also work because it's akin to "creative."

My user name doesn't have any established pronunciation. Mike, Mick or Mük are all valid.

Speaking of name changes, I sent 3 emails to 3 different moderators within the last few months and still have not gotten switched to AveryMaurice.

I'm not impatient, its just that it doesn't seem like anyone takes notice. Please change it, fraggle or others, :D. I would be thankful.

myk said:

My user name doesn't have any established pronunciation. Mike, Mick or Mük are all valid.

That helps, actually. I've usually read it as "Mick" but was never sure.

Lüt said:

Correctly :D

Good to know :) On the other hand, I'm not sure about my reading of yours. I've always assumed the umlaut is purely decorative and just pronounce it as "Lut," ie. like "but" but with an "L" on there.

Yes, I know that pronunciation of online names is not really important. Yes, I still care.

@Creaphis - I never tried to pronounce it, but when I did i got cree - AH - phis

@myk - I always assumed it was 'Mike'

@AveryMaurice - getting your name and title changed can go both ways. I only got my custom title and name after giving Bloodshedder a decently good reason :S

Yeah, I don't really mind not having a title, I would just like AveryMaurice as my user name so I don't keep entering AveryMaurice by accident every time, and it would also be nice to have it match my other accounts without numbers in it.

I guess its kinda my fault for making my username something so annoying which I thought was good at the time. -.-

Creaphis said:

By the way it's pronounced CREE-uh-FISS. I don't know how you guys are reading it.

What? there's 3 syllables? I've known you for too long, there's no way im gonna stop prounoucning it CREE-FISS.

avery1555 said:
I guess its kinda my fault for making my username something so annoying which I thought was good at the time. -.-

I'm generally amused when someone takes some name followed by weird numbers or characters when the name itself isn't taken. Maybe they assume it's going to be taken, or want to use the same handle as in some old Yahoo or Hotmail email address... who knows?

myk said:

I'm generally amused when someone takes some name followed by weird numbers or characters when the name itself isn't taken. Maybe they assume it's going to be taken, or want to use the same handle as in some old Yahoo or Hotmail email address... who knows?

Or I'm just an idiot. ;)

40oz said:

What? there's 3 syllables? I've known you for too long, there's no way im gonna stop prounoucning it CREE-FISS.

Same, also the shorter pronunciation is bolder and manlier.

my readings:
Creaphis= cree-uh-phis
Lüt = Lewt (Lewd with a 't')
Myk = Mick

I honestly just assumed everyone read them this way and that they had one intended reading.

Hellbent: sort of a long story, but suffice it to say as an adolescent I identified with Matchbox 20's song "Bent" "Can you help me, I'm bent?" And my nose is also inexplicably bent to the left, which I attribute as the physical manifestation of being a lost soul. So, Hellbent seemed like a natural fit for a doom site.

When I first started doing things on the internet I used Blood Titan, from MM7, but it didn't feel completely right. One of the cooler cards from magic;the gathering to me was wall of blood, and somehow I had the concept of armored warriors made of blood, then actual armored blood cells protecting the rest of the cells (biologist). Anyway it's a pretty cool name imo and I've stuck with it since, although I'm still looking for a pic of a suit of armor composed of blood to use as an avatar (not that I'm likely to find any ;).

My title belies my newness. I am a person who wants to talk to people but doesn't know many who would understand what I'm talking about irl so spamminess is understandable ;p

Hellbent said:

my readings:
Creaphis= cree-uh-phis
Lüt = Lewt (Lewd with a 't')
Myk = Mick

Same, except I say myk as Mike. I don't know why, but people say my name as one word sometimes. Originally it's Ninja Lah, but I think I was too lazy to press the space bar which I pressed like 30 times already writing this paragraph. Heh.

EDIT: Also I say Linguica Lyn-gwee-kah. Anyone else say it different?

Creaphis said:

It's "cree fiss" to me.

I also pronounce Lüt with the umlaut U to rhyme with "soot", as in the stuff that's in a chimney. I don't think to rhyme with "but" or "loot" is correct. Lüt?

myk rhymes with stick.

My nickname came from when me and my buddies used to fake pro wrestle in like 4th grade and Ralphis was my name, then my teacher started calling me it and it kind of stuck.

My custom title? I have absolutely no idea.

My first name is Chris and I wanted to use it as my username but I would have had to add numbers or somesuch after, which I don't like to do.

I think I tried a few usernames with no joy until I got to purist. I can't remember why it's not capatilised, I maybe thought of it more as an adjective than a name. I chose it because I was very vanilla Doom oriented when I joined. I'm less inclined that way now.

How do you pronounce MY name, then? I consider it as print-z, not printz; i.e. you pronounce t and z separately.

Otherwise, myk is mik (because of how his real name is pronounced) and creaphis is like 40oz's pronunciation.

I'm also proudly able to pronounce ZDoom as a single syllable: zdoom. Not zee doom at all.

printz said:

How do you pronounce MY name, then?

Prints, as in Bobby Prince :P

I'm also proudly able to pronounce ZDoom as a single syllable: zdoom. Not zee doom at all.

This makes no sense. Even "Zuh-doom" or "Zid-oom" have two syllables. See also: bidoof.

Creaphis like Cree-fiss, this dude stole half of my nick
Printz like Prince
Lüt like what (I know how its supposed to be but I just don't care!)
Myk like Mick

Danarchy said:

My title is obvious. I need to change my title/avatar, possibly to something Doctor Who SIM CITY related.

Heh heh, couldn't help myself.

Anyway...

The totally unoriginal and rather wanting name "Prince of Darkness" came about when I was a massive Megadeth fan when my sister got their collection (Back to the Start) in... '04, I think. I was young, lived in the country, and only recently started going to high school, so getting this CD was an absolute paradigm shift for the music I had been listening to (and how I was listening to it, mostly Rock & Roll LP's from my dad). I caught onto the final song, "Prince of Darkness", for it's creepy opening and heavy main parts to go along with the entire idea that it's the theme of satan himself.
Well, when I got active on the internet, I realized that I wanted a cool name that I would get remembered for (joining Battletech forums- knew I was gonna stay). I immeaditly thought of that one song, and thought "What the hell".
After gaining infamy and several followers throughout the Battletech community (I was known for artwork and seamless combination of occult themes, taken from random Wikipedia articles) I stated wondering if I wanted to keep the name. But by now I was infamous with the *chans and several banned "members" of deviantart (who loved, and feared, the name by now) that it just stuck.

TL;DR: Found metal, thought it was cool, gained E-infamy, thought of tossing it, fame thought otherwise...

EDIT:

I am still a member not only for knowing how to lurk (unlike some here) but also because I have no doom to mod with. It is a sad state of affairs, but the instant I needed to look for my collector's edition of the game I could not find it. I still has sadface :(